Engine oil fill hole {pics}

gregk24

Update: I changed out the PCV valve today. The old one still rattled (generally considered to still be working if rattling) but at least now I can rule out the PCV being the cause of varnish in the valve cover area (as visible through the oil fill hole).

I have HPL Engine Cleaner on order and plan to replace a quart of the current fresh fill of M1 EP 0w20 with 1 quart of the HPL EC, run that combo for 2000 miles then drain. I'm not sure yet if I will run a fill of HPL 0w20 or go back to M1 EP 0w20 after the cleaning.

Hopefully I will see a noticeable improvement.

Honda R18 with 187k km
20180630_154410.jpg

HPL EC went in this morning. I plan on running it 2000 miles before changing.
You should probably ask Dave, but my guess is that you will need to run it a lot longer than that to have any impact. Like I previously said, that area of the valvetrain doesn't receive much oil flow anyway so I don't think you will see much of an improvement.

You should probably ask Dave, but my guess is that you will need to run it a lot longer than that to have any impact. Like I previously said, that area of the valvetrain doesn't receive much oil flow anyway so I don't think you will see much of an improvement.
The cleaning time for HPL EC seems to be a moving target, before I ordered the cleaner the consensus was 2000 miles max and change the filter once in between. Now it seems 2000 miles is not enough

As I posted before, I am not sure if it is really designed for complete varnish removal. It may be more of a sludge removal tool.?

I am curious what tests were run by HPL for the EC to recommend 2000 miles initially?

For the remaining vehicles, I have HPL EC in I am in a forget it mode and it will stay in for the full OCI.

I will be changing oil in a toyota 1ARFE later today that has close to 5K miles on HPL EC at 1:5 ratio, filter will be easy to examine as it is the paper element.

The cleaning time for HPL EC seems to be a moving target, before I ordered the cleaner the consensus was 2000 miles max and change the filter once in between. Now it seems 2000 miles is not enough

As I posted before, I am not sure if it is really designed for complete varnish removal. It may be more of a sludge removal tool.?

I am curious what tests were run by HPL for the EC to recommend 2000 miles initially?

For the remaining vehicles, I have HPL EC in I am in a forget it mode and it will stay in for the full OCI.

I will be changing oil in a toyota 1ARFE later today that has close to 5K miles on HPL EC at 1:5 ratio, filter will be easy to examine as it is the paper element.
I think the official position has always been (and continues to be) 2K? But others have ran it longer and have found "good" results, so there seems to be a natural consensus to run the product longer.

gregk24

I have. He recommended 2000 miles.