Engine oil fill hole {pics}

Maybe I'll do a wipe test and see. No, unfortunately I don't have any before pictures. Just going off of what I remember seeing, which was clean shiny silver metal with no gold tinge. This oil change only has 200 or so miles on it, so if anything the oil film should look cleaner than normal.
It's interesting, because everything below the camshaft looks extremely clean, which does have me suspecting the PCV like another poster mentioned.

It's interesting, because everything below the camshaft looks extremely clean, which does have me suspecting the PCV like another poster mentioned.
I remember the PCV valve being SUPER easy to replace on my 2006 Accord. I'll have to look into the replacement procedure on this one but I assume it would be similar if not the same.

I remember the PCV valve being SUPER easy to replace on my 2006 Accord. I'll have to look into the replacement procedure on this one but I assume it would be similar if not the same.
On my 2017 accord it’s right on top, I never changed one before and even I was able to replace it

On my 2017 accord it’s right on top, I never changed one before and even I was able to replace it
I just watched a YouTube video on the replacement. It looks like it is the same as previous K24 models, right up front next to the alternator. Should be an easy job.

Looks identical to my Accord under the oil fill cap. According to the Carfax report, it was run on dino from new till 40K (when I bought it). I’ve seen plenty of varnished M1 exclusive engines. I wonder if shorter ocis would’ve prevented the varnish?

The “scarring” (only way I know to describe it) on the camshaft lobes where it contacts the rollers always makes me wonder in W30 oils and thicker would prevent that? Or is it even a concern?

After washing and drying the engine bay on my 2012 Accord yesterday I decided to take a peak down the oil fill hole as I do from time to time. I recall things looking cleaner in previous "inspections" and nothing has changed other than switching from Pennzoil Platinum to Mobil 1 and extending my OCI from 6-7 months to 10-12 months. I know Mobil 1 is top tier so I'm not even entertaining the idea that it could be the cause of some varnish, but I am wondering if my driving style is just too taxing for a 1 year oil change interval. As of the past few years this car doesn't see many miles. It gets used almost daily but trips are generally 1-2 miles without a full warm up for months at a time. At the time of the oil change the maintenance minder was at 40% or 50%, which is surprising to me after over 10 months of short trips, but Honda generally has a good track record with the MM system on the 4 cylinders at least. I suppose it is possible that the MM would count down faster the further into the OCI you go, so maybe those number aren't linear.

At any rate, due to my current driving pattern I am considering dumping the oil every 6 months and using the filter for 2 oil changes / 1 year.

Do these pictures show an unhealthy engine? not hardly, at least from what I can see. I just don't care for the color (I am assuming it is varnish) trending DARKER compared to what I was previously seeing. Synthetic oils are fantastic these days, but I am thinking this has a lot less to do with the type or quality of oil and more to do with "severe" short tripping. My thought is a few 6 month OCI's won't break the bank and maybe I'll see things clean up a bit in there.

Either way in all likelihood the engine will do 200,000+ miles regardless of if I chose a 6 or 12 month OCI. Knowing that this is more about keeping the engine as clean and healthy as reasonably possible. Here are the pics:
Short tripping is usually considered severe service and I think your approach of doing 2 oil changes / 1 filter every year is a good idea. I would be doing the same thing for that type of service. Also, very good oil can be had for very cheap nowadays. So the engine is healthy, just not as clean as an engine that isn't short tripped.

The “scarring” (only way I know to describe it) on the camshaft lobes where it contacts the rollers always makes me wonder in W30 oils and thicker would prevent that? Or is it even a concern?
I don't see any form of scarring, just a "path" where the coating that is building up, isn't, where the follower is contacting the lobe.

Every K24 that I have seen looks like that, and the seem to run up to high miles. I'm not quite sure what causes it or if a thicker oil would prevent it. I tend to think not, as Acura specs 5w30 in some of the K24's of this era and if I recall those also have the same markings on the cam lobes as well. At any rate it doesn't seem to affect longevity.

Here’s my 15 Tacoma 4.0L, 117K. Six month intervals 6000-7000) M1 EP. Currently Amsoil SS 0W30 about to hit 10K.

Attachments

• 34A7455F-ED63-49BD-A983-73745EF6D73C.jpeg
    34A7455F-ED63-49BD-A983-73745EF6D73C.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 83
Back