Modern cars and drive-in movies

The wife and I went to the drive-in last night, we've been to it lots of times. I get the feeling modern cars are becoming less compatible with them.

First off, this was the first time I'd driven the truck there. Remembered that in accessory mode, it times out after 10 minutes, and since you need the radio, that's not going to work out. And even while it's in accessory mode, the dash is all lit up. Wife wanted the A/C, so I left the engine running so we had A/C and to avoid running the battery down, but the DRLs were on. Remembered that I can turn them off through the radio settings, so all the lights were off. Not surprisingly, lots of folks had trouble turning their lights off, and they give you a how-to sheet on the way in that covers most vehicles.

Throughout the 2 movies (Indiana Jones/The Boogeyman), folks' lights kept turning on. A lady in a late model Chevy Equinox next to us took some time to figure out how to turn off her lights, and those kept turning on at odd times. Getting ready to leave, my wife said she thinks that same lady now has a dead battery. Sure enough, she walks up to my window and asks if I can give her a jump Drat, my cables are still in the Pilot! Thankfully, someone else had cables, but I offered to stay and help. First surprise, she can't get her key out of the ignition. Next, her running lights are on and turning the headlight control won't turn them off.

The good samaritan with the cables pulled up, and she couldn't figure out how to open her hood. Ditto for the one with the dead battery. :eek:Guess it's a good thing I stuck around and had a flashlight in the glovebox. Hooked up the rather lightweight cables, and... Nothing. Not even a spark. Wiggled the cables, still no spark. Noticed that one wire on these rather dinky cables was fraying at the clamp. Uh oh. Wiggled them again, finally got some spark, but can't get more than a click from the solenoid, and the running lights are still stuck on. Even when we waited a few minutes to see if it would charge the battery some we got nothing.

Finally, we noticed there was somebody in the closed concession stand, and I remembered they had a jumper pack. Flagged him down, and he brought it out. Apparently it just needed more oomph than the iffy cables from the good samaritan, but we got her car started.

I'm just kind of amazed that while it still had enough juice to show signs of life, it had no control over the lights and the key was stuck. It's too bad that auto manufacturers seem to be bent on having the dashboards all lit up at all times, and they have to make it unusually difficult to turn all the exterior lights off. And apparently the batteries don't have lots of capacity.

And yes, I got a new set of jumper cables to keep in the truck (y)

I haven't seen a drive in movie theater in ages I don't think that there any even left in this state. We did go to same drive-ins in the late 1970s but what we found was that, for economy reasons, the top of the windshield was too low too even allow you see see all of the movie screen.

2 movies (Indiana Jones/The Boogeyman),
How was Indiana Jones?

Be honest... is it another "Crystal Skull" that should have been left in the dustbin of some writer's imagination?

I am skeptical of any Indiana Jones film not directed by Steven Spielberg, but again not even he could save Crystal Skull... I just wish they would stop remaking my childhood...

I haven't seen a drive in movie theater in ages I don't think that there any even left in this state. We did go to same drive-ins in the late 1970s but what we found was that, for economy reasons, the top of the windshield was too low too even allow you see see all of the movie screen.
When the Great Panic happened in '20 I predicted they'd make a comeback -- "the outside world is scary, stay in your hermetically sealed cars and fear other humans!!" -- and in some areas they kinda have. It'll obviously fade until Panic 2.0 happens (it's coming).

I agree with the OP -- too many we'll-think-for-you options on new cars. They're fine until you want control over certain things.

I want an ignition switch that does what I say no matter what: stay in Accy until I tell you. I even want to be able to engage the starter when the engine's running. I want to be able to shift an automatic via a direct mechanical connection no matter what the conditions. I want to be able to start the vehicle withOUT my foot on the brake. And on and on.

How was Indiana Jones?

Be honest... is it another "Crystal Skull" that should have been left in the dustbin of some writer's imagination?

I am skeptical of any Indiana Jones film not directed by Steven Spielberg, but again not even he could save Crystal Skull... I just wish they would stop remaking my childhood...
Wife and I liked it. I haven't seen Crystal Skull, but I've heard it's not that great. Mads Mikkelson plays the bad guy well, and the plot is good. Definitely up there with Raiders of The Lost Ark and Holy Grail.

Back in the 1960s I used to take dates to drive ins quite a bit. Usually in my dads '67 Wildcat or my'65 GP. Most of those outdoor theaters are gone now, but a few remain. If were to go again with my wife of over 50 years, it would only seem right to take my '66 Electra or '66 Wildcat. Funny memories of some of the drive in hijinks.

For all of you younger folks, I can't even begin to describe how much making out we did at the drive ins! No body in their teens went to the drive in to watch the movie! It was more like a Roman orgy inside of at least half of the cars there on Friday and Saturday nights.

The last time I was in a Drive In theater we had these for speakers and a cold gallon of AW root beer. :cool:
1688237580125.jpg

I really enjoyed your post.
In the day I hit all of them in the tristate area here.
My new VW won't even let you idle without harassing you and then turning off.
I think my old Cmax hybrid would have been the bomb. It will cheaply idle all night..

Did you remember to let the non paying movie fans out of your trunk after it got dark?

Of course! I think our personal best was two people in the car and eight more in the trunk. It was even more fun when when you were in the trunk and there were a couple of girls in the trunk with you.

Ah, to be young and limber again.

My favorite part of the drive in experience was the intermission when dancing cartoon hot dogs and drinks invited you to the food stand.

LOL! I hope that you're saying that that was before you discovered girls, alcohol and sex.

Last edited:
Back