Modern Vehicle Dashboard

It's cheaper to design and build - across all platforms.

Don't get me started on buttons. That is one the reasons why I we traded in early and scooped up one with real buttons....

Summer of 2022 I went shopping with my girlfriend who was buying a new vehicle. I hadn't been car shopping in many years, as I had no need to.
We both found it odd how many vehicles have a cheap looking tablet like device, apparently glued to the dash.
These tablet like things look to be worth about $12 or less, and zero incentive to build them in as part of the vehicle.

Anyone else find this trend tacky, and a turn off?
Absolutely one of my biggest dislikes from modern design. Started by Tesla, no doubt, when the other manufacturers found out how cheap they are to produce.
The next worse thing is when they brag it up as a selling point! Take a look at the new Genesis G90 dash. 27" of pure ugliness! (but more real buttons)

I think the thought process is it's in your line of sight while looking out the windshield.
Yeah, it does make sense to put the screen up high, just its not very pretty! I don't know why HUD's aren't more common? Maybe they actually cost money to make? A HUD with turn directions would be nice and a screen to set up navigation. HVAC and radio can be real buttons, some on the steering wheel, and some on the dash.
I imagine MB is working on some kind touchless HUD which looks projected out a few hundred feet in front of the car so your eyes don't have to lose focus.

VW was able to integrate the screen into the dashboard in the 2017 but by 2023 it looks like it was glued on as an afterthought. What is the reason?
View attachment 192967View attachment 192968

My guess is that previously base models didn't come with the screen and had a traditional radio. Maybe not for North America and Europe but other markets.

To me its the opposite. The new one is designed with the screen in mind. It is simply uglier.

Having the screen closest to the windshield is the most safe/ergonomic.

VW was able to integrate the screen into the dashboard in the 2017 but by 2023 it looks like it was glued on as an afterthought. What is the reason?
View attachment 192967View attachment 192968
It's just the style now. I very much prefer the previous Golf but I'm a bit biased having the top picture(with the bigger screen). I've driven the new one and I don't know if it's the inch longer chassis, but it felt quite a bit bigger in the car. I just didn't care for the look of the layout and it felt a lot more plastic-y. It drove nice, but it felt lower market. For reference though the car I drove was a 40th Anniversary(nearly identical to the second picture above) and my car is an Autobahn.

IMG-0255.jpg

I don’t like the look - but like where I’m looking - up high where it’s safest to put them …

Agree most ugly. The worst is Toyota who puts a terrible plastic bezel around it because they want a smaller screen on lesser model trims.

My wife’s 2018 VW Tiguan looks good as they designed dash around it:
1702594704596.jpeg
1702594704596.jpeg

Been on this subject before. We have already come to the conclusion forum members here are TECH PHOIBIC-for reasons both real and imagined. Longevity may be real or may be imagined. Far too early to tell...
Has nothing to do with tech, it just looks chintzy. It's probably not cheap to repair. But i like the real dash gauges , not a childs game appearance of a dashboard.

+1 I've mentioned they look hideous.
the screen on the top trim trax comes to mind.
bunch of touch controls too.. ewww.

Edit: fix autocorrected words.
Yeah, a lot of them are pretty horrible. It's like the vehicle was ready and then they had to come up with a plug and play mount.

I don't know why HUD's aren't more common?
They're either expensive or automakers are holding them back for the top of the line models. Our son has a '21 or '22 Accord Touring and it has a HUD but only the Touring does. My wife just bought a Grand Highlander that comes in (3) trim levels and only the top trim has the HUD available.

Agree most ugly. The worst is Toyota who puts a terrible plastic bezel around it because they want a smaller screen on lesser model trims.

USD30TOC041A021018.jpg

That is not good looking, and kind of petty, but I guess Toyota is in full profit taking mode lately. Our Outback base model has nearly no visual clues that you've "cheaped out", other than a smallish screen, but that changed in the latest model.

There's a +12" screen in the Toyota. It's ok but it's hard to see with the glare. It also seems a bit silly to have HVAC buttons under the screen and having to show where the system is set up on the screen; the screen is redundant in that the HVAC can be controlled there as well.

At least it's not sporting a 15" laptop screen.

View attachment 192994
That is not good looking, and kind of petty, but I guess Toyota is in full profit taking mode lately. Our Outback base model has nearly no visual clues that you've "cheaped out", other than a smallish screen, but that changed in the latest model.
It's probably a lot cheaper to do that then to come up with two completely different housings, though I think it's likely they don't mind that it shames people for the lesser model. I've always been one of those people that doesn't like the base versions. There's a lot of intentional afterthought put into it like this.

Does that count as a real combination of words? Intentional afterthought. It feels right in this case.

I don't mind the one in my Corolla, looks just like how I'd do it, hack it into place, call it good.

oh wait...

TBH I view the car as an appliance, use for 10 years, dispose. I too wonder about failure of these pieces, low production runs worry me.

Will say, while I have quickly grown to like the backup camera, that's about all I like about it. Apple car play, and Toyota USB play, is for the bin. I have yet to figure out how to change albums while moving--they deliberately lock it out, making it actually more unsafe than safe IMO.

Save the "glass cockpit" for the airplanes.

Give me traditional large round speedo & tach. Small gas and temp. Discrete warning lights and a 2x16 text display I can rotate through. My Silverado did most of this right.

The F350 at work comes with a (small) 5" rear view screen surrounded by radio knobs. Not a touch screen. I love it!

New rant: I like a HVAC fan speed control that immediately responds. Cars and trucks these days have a computer give "soft speed changes" when the controls are operated. I want to take my attention off the road for as little time as necessary, don't want to turn a knob then sit there waiting for a response to see if it's what I want or if I should keep twisting the knob.

I hate the touchscreen IP on newer BMWs; there is no attempt to integrate the screen into the interior design. I also despise the move to eliminate physical buttons and switches.One look at that hideous tacked on screen caused me to replace a BMW with another brand for the first time in 38 years.
In contrast, I love the IP in my C43 and 4xe. Both can be configured to provide the information I want to see and there are physical controls for the HVAC and the audio system.

Back