Switched to GC Lost Oil Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using 5w30 M1 in my Ranger with the 4.0 engine and I switched to 0w30 GC. First time that I drove it I noticed that cold it had lost about 5lbs. of pressure but when it got hot it was the same as what it was with the M1
Looks like this will be a good choice for this winter.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

do you have a mechanical to gauge to confirm this, or are you going off mr unreliable electric sending unit
smile.gif

Neither of the above. I have a reliable electric Gauge the fact that it can distinguish between 0w and 5w when cold speaks well for the Gauge.

no such thing as a reliable electric guage. the merc 4.6 I had in my cougar had a faulty sending unit. might want to check that. other than that I would hook a mech guage up to it and see for sure. my oil pressure never changed with GC.

I hate to tell you but ford hasn't used a real oil pressure gauge in years. It is basically an "idiot" gauge. It goes to a preset mark at any oil pressure. It could be anywhere from 5 to 55 psi and the gauge read the same.

Quote:

I was using 5w30 M1 in my Ranger with the 4.0 engine and I switched to 0w30 GC. First time that I drove it I noticed that cold it had lost about 5lbs. of pressure but when it got hot it was the same as what it was with the M1
Looks like this will be a good choice for this winter.
thumbsup.gif

I lost about 6 psi with Amsoil Series 2000 0W30 even at operating temps.

I don't think most of you are understanding his post. His point he was making was that the oil wasn't as thick when cold compared to his last oil fill, enough that it showed up on the gauge. Also, earlier Rangers had a real gauge, I think the oil pressure switch that registers either "pressure" or " no pressure" didn't come out until late 90's maybe?

Uh no, he stated that his oil pressure was reading lower with GC. I correctly stated his vehicle does not have a true oil pressure gauge so that is not a true way to determine pressure. So you are actually incorrect. Maybe you should read what is actually written before you call folks wrong.

I hate to correct you but Ford hasn't used "real" gauges since the late 80's on their light duty trucks. Have a nice day.

The original poster stated "First time that I drove it I noticed that cold it had lost about 5lbs. of pressure but when it got hot it was the same as what it was with the M1"

Quote:

Perhaps it is an aftermarket gauge? We won't know unless Black Bart comes back to clear it up for us.

Based on him saying that he has a reliable electric gauge, I think he does have an aftermarket gauge on there.

Considering the fact that he has a 1000hp Corvette, I tend to side on the fact that Black Bart knows his stuff and isn't just relying on the stock Ford gauge here.

still mechanical gauge > electric sending unit when it comes to accuracy. I was just more or less curious how he arrived at his findings
smile.gif

Okay Buzzman your right. I checked some of BlackBarts other posts and found out he has a 2000 Ranger so his "gauge" if its original is just a 2 position on/off job. I was assuming he had an older one and I was sure they used them into the 90's cause I've seen quite a few of them. I did have the pleasure of having a 2000 F150 with a 4.6 lose oil pressure and seize up. It was a loaner with 120k on it and bad oil change history (about every 10-15k)and the gauge went from halfway to 0 after warming up. We thought it was the sender since the oil was at full and it sounded ok until it started ticking and as I coasted it stalled and seized up. The dealership cleaned all the sludge out of the oil pickup and the vehicle later threw a rod out of the block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back