Switching to M1 0w40 causing more chain noise

Mobil 1 the vocal oil strikes again....
There were some BITOG threads a while back about Mobil 1 oill having a trend of significantly higher iron wear than other oils across the UOA's. I know UOA's are not for that purpose, but still, it's nice to use an oil that you have no doubts about.

Last edited:
Awe man, you mean the M1 0w40 in brothers Saab 9-7 is bad!?!?

He’s been using that for a long time. Even the built 6.0 in his 71’ C-10 doesn’t care about oil.

Come on now Chris; we know you are a PUP fan boy🤣🤣
I’m more of a results-driven fanboy; I don’t really care who makes it as long as it’s top-shelf stuff. I have favorites, sure, but I give respect where it’s due.

PUP 0&5w20 did stellar in my Fusion for well over 100k;
M1 Euro/FS 0w40 is a top-shelf oil regardless of where it’s used;
HPL has proven its worth in longevity, cleanliness & cleaning power, and protection in every thread you can find.

I’m a fan of all excellent oils, even if I play favorites! 😎

Probably the Castrol was a group 3 oil and the Mobil 1 has a high PAO content.There are lots of posts mentioning the same condition.Think of it as a good thing,you have a better oil onboard.

The valvetrain and engine in general in my car is noisier with M1 0W-40 compared to Castrol 0W-40. It burns it a lot more too. I've tried Pennzoil Euro 0W-40 and it behaves similar to the Castrol. So far QS 5W-40 has been behaving the best.
I used Mobil 1 Euro 0-40 exclusively for years in a Porsche. Switched to Castrol Euro 0-40 and it became noticeably quieter. This car has 3 timing chains. Mechanic put in Liqui Moly and it became quieter still. Just my experience in one car.

I’ve noticed this too with M1 0W40 vs PPE 5w40. Hell, I’ve even noticed it with non euro spec M1 vs PP. There is a tincy bit more of an engine noise, can I explain it through a scientific lens? No. But I can tell you one thing, I’m not deaf or hard of hearing. You can argue with me saying YOU don’t hear it when you make the swap, well that’s your car and your environment. To each their own.

I don’t think it causes any damage, it’s been discussed here many times over, it’s still a great product at the price point.

Back