Switching to M1 0w40 causing more chain noise

I've read that often but my experience was increased chain noise at startup with Pennz Plat 5-30 over Mobil 1 in 17 3.6 OutBack. But then again, my "ear-o-meter" is likely as accurate as the OP's. My UOA's on both produced indistinguishable results.

I posted the same experience about start-up chain tensioner noise couple weeks back. In my 2013 Audi 3.0T it appeared 3k into the oci, and around the same time the engine also got 'rougher.' I'm assuming the oil has sheared and fuel diluted enough at this stage to cause this. The incidence of start-up tensioner noise was much less frequent on Castrol 0W-40 and 5W-40, which we used for the first 90k miles.

Mostly used M1 EP in my other Honda's and generally found no NVH differences with different oils.

I'm sure the wear rate with M1 0W-40 is just fine but will be switching back to Castrol 5W-40 (which has LL-01) for this engine to not deal with the start-up rattle.

Too good not to use twice this morning.

7v0b02.jpg

I wish someone, using other-worldly never-before-seen UAP-derived technology (your cell phone w/noise app) just would collect some data here....
"The statistic is like a bikini, shows a lot, but covers the most important parts."

M1 0W40 was always noisier in my VW's. I do not think I used API SN, one since 2015 in Tiguan, but in CC and Tiguan before that, M1 had obvious noise.
However, in CC once I did UOA it was incredibly shear stable. Went from 13.5cst to 13.3 in 5k.

"The statistic is like a bikini, shows a lot, but covers the most important parts."

M1 0W40 was always noisier in my VW's. I do not think I used API SN, one since 2015 in Tiguan, but in CC and Tiguan before that, M1 had obvious noise.
However, in CC once I did UOA it was incredibly shear stable. Went from 13.5cst to 13.3 in 5k.
Interesting, since it was shear stable after 5k, what do you think would cause it to have more noise than others?

• Haha
Reactions: 4WD
Certain additives.
Listen, when it comes to M1, I would never blink to use it.
I was pushing that sucker to 300f on track and ran 5k OCI.
You’re changing mind. Might try the newer M1 0w40 formula.

Your changing mind. Might try the newer M1 0w40 formula.
Same experience with 0w40 as well for my 1.8 TSI CPRA. Also had a higher oil consumption with it.

I put SP version in the engine last week but for the noise, didn't notice much difference compared to SN formulation. So I just dumped MoS2 in it to see if it will improve start up rattles.

I don’t know why but only hear chain rattle for 1~2 seconds after start up with M1. Not with Castrol, Pennzoil/QS. But I don’t think it will cause any trouble so I’ll keep it in for 5K miles anyway.

Last edited:
I had been using 0w40 castrol and switched to m1 after reading several threads here praising it over the castrol since it has lost some certs with its latest blend, however my 2006 Vw Rabbit has developed chain noise with this oil.

I've heard M1 noise too, on multiple engines (1990 Integra GS, 1998 BMW 528i, both manuals so they spent lots of time in the mid-rev range instead of the automatic's preference of lowest-possible revs). Very clear difference - no specially calibrated instruments required.

The UOAs were just fine, but there was significant difference in engine noise. Switched back between M1 and non-M1 and the noise followed M1. Since my UOAs on non-M1 were also great, I switched. Sold the Integra, ran GC in the BMW.

Lots here think it's BS, and I'm not here to convert anyone - but let's just say you're not alone. I know that doesn't really help you. And, if your chain noise did not "develop" instantly when you switched oil then it may be unrelated. In my cases, the change in engine sound was instant, right from the first start up with/without M1 in the sump while still on the ramps.

Im having same experience. My Hemi sounds worse with M1 0W40 compared to all of my previous 55,000 miles on 5w20. Im at 3k and i want to dump it. MoS2 really help?

Using Mobil 1 20-50 in my Harley 103 was slightly noisier (valve train) than Valvoline Syn 20-50.

If M1 0W-40 is worrying you, why give it more tries? People on the forum here swear by it like their life depends on it. I really don't get that. More noise, which may or may not hurt anything is heard by a few folks here. Truth is, it has approvals, but so do a few other options at Walmart, and it's not like they have vastly different prices too. In the end, using oils with the correct approval for your application will get the engine to the point where you'd want to replace the whole car anyways.

Back