2024 Jetta Oil

FYI
Today I visited a local VW service department to pick up a quart of 508 00 oil. The dipstick on my car is halfway down the hatch but I didn’t see it when new a week ago.
Both managers behind the desk noted it was just 0w20 oil. They took my keys and had it topped off for free.
Both were very friendly and eager to answer questions.
I asked what the their policy was on using 0W30 or oil in that car. They said that 0w30 is authorized to be substituted. All you have to do is ask. One noted that the 0W20 gives a couple of more MPG.

I noted that I used 5W30 in my 21 Camry and the motor was noticeably quieter with less vibration. He agreed this would be the same in the VW.

After break in they will be seeing me for an oil change to 0W30.

Can you get documentation to support the "authorization" to substitute oil which doesn't meet the requirement (508.00) listed in the manual? I would be interested to see it - specifically for a full change, not just a top-off.

When you have an engine issue, you can bet the dealer will say that you asked for the wrong oil and the warranty is void. Good luck.

FYI
Today I visited a local VW service department to pick up a quart of 508 00 oil. The dipstick on my car is halfway down the hatch but I didn’t see it when new a week ago.
Both managers behind the desk noted it was just 0w20 oil. They took my keys and had it topped off for free.
I asked what the their policy was on using 0W30 or oil in that car. They said that 0w30 is authorized to be substituted. All you have to do is ask. One noted that the 0W20 gives a couple of more MPG.

I noted that I used 5W30 in my 21 Camry and the motor was noticeably quieter with less vibration. He agreed this would be the same in the VW.

The one that “noted” that probably knows about it as much as a guy that flips burgers in closest fast food to that dealership.

The dealer didn't bat an eye when I asked for the VW 504 0w30 to be substituted for 5w40 VW 502 in my VR6 Passat under warranty. Never tried it with the Jetta, just ran VW 508 but I did 5k intervals instead of 10k.

FYI

What they have told you is not correct

You can add up to a litre of the older VAG spec oil, 0w30 or 5w30 during an oil change interval

You can’t substitute the entire sump for a non 508/509 oil

The info is in your handbook

You will not see a measurable mileage increase or decrease
In your opinion

But economy isn’t the issue, the engine was engineered to use a specific 508/509 oil.

You can only add up to 1 litre of top up oil that doesn’t meet 508/509

Can you get documentation to support the "authorization" to substitute oil which doesn't meet the requirement (508.00) listed in the manual? I would be interested to see it - specifically for a full change, not just a top-off.
I think we both know there won’t be an authorisation because VAG don’t spec anything but 508/509 on, I assume a brand new car, potentially with the 1.5TFSi engine

There should be a "free space" just for VW 508 :p.

And I'm personally waiting for the BITOG "Monopoly" game. BITOGopoly? First card for the Chance pile; Use oil other than 508.00 in your newer VW and suffer catastrophic engine failure.
The green marker is in there for a reason, what do you think that could be?

The green marker is in there for a reason, what do you think that could be?
It's a dye to help prevent the techs at dealerships from putting the lighter 508 oil into engines that call for 502 or 504. The older speced engines will not do well on the 508. Or at least, not for very long. The theory it's put into the oil for verification in the event of oil related failure is blown way out of proportion. The dye usually dissipates within a short time and is no longer visible. Now if your referring to a marker in the oil, that would be the zirconium additive. It does help with compliance, but the other way around than is normally thought, ie; that 508 is used in older engines and causes damage or failure.

Must be raining conspiracy in London.

In your opinion

But economy isn’t the issue, the engine was engineered to use a specific 508/509 oil.

You can only add up to 1 litre of top up oil that doesn’t meet 508/509
No, it is not! You can use 20W60 300V Le Mans as far as "the engine is concerned"
EA888 with budak cycle does not have any meaningful changes. It has a variable oil pump which is in use in various engines, pretty much for decades.
So, running 0W20, 0W30, 5W30, 0W40, 5W40, is perfectly OK.

Now, warranty is a different issue, or what will VW say if something happens and they suspect the customer used a different oil and they try to use that for grounds to deny warranty?. But oil itself, 5W40 or 0W20, won;t do anything to an engine.

AND AGAIN, engines, any engines, are perfectly fine using thicker oil. The other way around, NOT SO MUCH!

8aboj0.jpg

It's a dye to help prevent the techs at dealerships from putting the lighter 508 oil into engines that call for 502 or 504. The older speced engines will not do well on the 508. Or at least, not for very long. The theory it's put into the oil for verification in the event of oil related failure is blown way out of proportion. The dye usually dissipates within a short time and is no longer visible. Now if your referring to a marker in the oil, that would be the zirconium additive. It does help with compliance, but the other way around than is normally thought, ie; that 508 is used in older engines and causes damage or failure.

Must be raining conspiracy in London.
Exactly correct and VAG noted this.

This has been explained to that poster multiple times. Yet he keeps posting the same garbage over and over.

Back