2024 Jetta Oil

The factory fill on my 2023 GLI had the oil filled to the middle of the hatching marks on the dipstick, seems normal to me.
I only have 8K miles on the car and only used 508.00 oil, the engine is quiet and smooth. I don't understand the weird obsession with this VW spec oil here.

You do realise the World is a big place?

And 508/509 was always green.

So are you saying that VAG engineers knew that American Mechanics would struggle to tell the difference between different oils before the engine was sold in the USA!

Amazing
Yes! They used 5W40 for two years although they supposed to use 0W20.
Now, they regularly mix VW 504.00 instead of VW508.00.

The factory fill on my 2023 GLI had the oil filled to the middle of the hatching marks on the dipstick, seems normal to me.
I only have 8K miles on the car and only used 508.00 oil, the engine is quiet and smooth. I don't understand the weird obsession with this VW spec oil here.
Bcs. engine is originally specified for heavier, VW504.00/507.00 or before 2017, VW502.00 (full SAPS oil).

I can't speak for USA mechanics. I can't speak for VW.

I can only observe. And ask a question.

My first observation is there are a LOT of back and forth on internets about VW lubricants. Seems like there is above the mean level of noise, above all the "best" discussions that we all have about any lubrication. To me, I see a lot of confusion - yes even in the so called knowledgeable. I see VW dealers in the USA using the "wrong" lubricants.

How easy can this be for the average plebeian of any land and doesn't some of this rest squarely on VW?

My first observation is there are a LOT of back and forth on internets about VW lubricants. Seems like there is above the mean level of noise, above all the "best" discussions that we all have about any lubrication. To me, I see a lot of confusion - yes even in the so called knowledgeable. I see VW dealers in the USA using the "wrong" lubricants.

How easy can this be for the average plebeian of any land and doesn't some of this rest squarely on VW?
At one point VW recommended three different oils in one car. In manual it said VW502.00. Sticker said VW504.00 and cap said 5W40.
That was for VR6. Actually all would cut it, but still. And this wasn’t anything new. The whole debacle with 1.8T engines in 1990’s in Passat was originally caused by VW recommending regular oil instead of VW502.00, which was recommended in Europe.

Let’s not forget the comments on the previous 508/509 thread where kschachn reckoned the clearly green oil was blue.

Luckily back in 2018 Wemay had the correct opinion.

It was done to ensure people didn’t use the wrong oil, but not because American Mechanics struggled to read the bottle.

But rather so they could bond Warranties of people who think they know better.

What is the PAO of 508/509 when compared to older specs……
I have no recollection of thinking the dye is blue and I searched the board for that post but I was unable to find it. Not that it would matter unless you’re just trying to divert from a technical discussion.

And here in the US at least there is zero “bond” between oil grade and warranty. Warranty coverage is and always has been predicated on damage. There are no statements in the owner’s manual nor the warranty booklet that state the new car warranty hinges on oil grade. The actual truth is that people like myself that use an oil with a higher HT/HS such as VW 504 00 are doing the manufacturer a favor by reducing wear and helping to mitigate any fuel dilution. That’s how physics works, as opposed to baseless fear mongering that has no correlation to reality.

And the base stock chemistry has no relation to this aspect of the discussion. It contributes to other aspects of the VW approval but not the film thickness.

502. 504. 508. They sell all of these at Walmart. The issue is that the viscosity is a separate variable (not for 504/508 though....504s are all 30s and 508 is 0W20) from the approval. A bottle of Euro oil doesn't cost anymore than non-Euro. It's just different for most folks new to Euro cars so I can see why a car coming in with "0W20" on the cap gets a normal 0W20 oil.

502. 504. 508. They sell all of these at Walmart. The issue is that the viscosity is a separate variable (not for 504/508 though....504s are all 30s and 508 is 0W20) from the approval. A bottle of Euro oil doesn't cost anymore than non-Euro. It's just different for most folks new to Euro cars so I can see why a car coming in with "0W20" on the cap gets a normal 0W20 oil.
You lost 80%+ of the USA after 3 periods.

I have no recollection of thinking the dye is blue and I searched the board for that post but I was unable to find it. Not that it would matter unless you’re just trying to divert from a technical discussion.

It's called "blue oil" at times though it actually appears more green - not that i'm the best for blue/green. The dye is a requirement of the approval, if it isn't dyed it is not approved.

Way back to the TDI days the Castrol Professional PDFs specified it contained "markers" and uv dies to determine if the proper oil was used.

And here in the US at least there is zero “bond” between oil grade and warranty. Warranty coverage is and always has been predicated on damage. There are no statements in the owner’s manual nor the warranty booklet that state the new car warranty hinges on oil grade.

It is pretty clear that you are to use an approved oil and that if you do not the warranty may not apply, grade is a requirement of the approval.

We've covered this one over and over and you continue to oversimplify it.

We also covered that the likely hood of this coming into play is very slight, but it is a non-zero chance.

One should keep in mind that VWs in other parts of the world can be set on variable intervals based ion oil quality, but the US is on a Fixed 10K interval.

also that Magnusson Moss is not universal and is not kryptonite even in the US.

502. 504. 508. They sell all of these at Walmart.

Never seen an officially approved 508 at Walmart, that would be good if they start to carry it.

It's called "blue oil" at times though it actually appears more green - not that i'm the best for blue/green. The dye is a requirement of the approval, if it isn't dyed it is not approved.

Way back to the TDI days the Castrol Professional PDFs specified it contained "markers" and uv dies to determine if the proper oil was used.

It is pretty clear that you are to use an approved oil and that if you do not the warranty may not apply, grade is a requirement of the approval.

We've covered this one over and over and you continue to oversimplify it.

We also covered that the likely hood of this coming into play is very slight, but it is a non-zero chance.
The warranty may not apply if there is damage. No 504 00 oil will cause damage where a 508 00 approval is listed. Not slight chance. None.

Never seen an officially approved 508 at Walmart, that would be good if they start to carry it.
Wally doens't carry the M1 0W20 ESP? I could have sworn I've seen it there but of course could be wrong here.

that Magnusson Moss is not universal and is not kryptonite even in the US.
And only applies for using a non-OEM branded/supplied product that is equiavent so here, if VW says 508 and you use 504, sorry, the MM isn't invovled b/c you aren't using what they call for as I've posted multiple times, it's not a recommended for in the VW manual, it's a required.

I usually don't see any 504/507 grade at our two local Walmart super centers. May be a regional thing. The 504/507 is low saps for the diesel particulates and extended range. Great oil in the original 5W30. You do pay a premium for VW specification over the more common stuff available with API approvals. Gallon ST 5W30 synthetic versus a gallon of M1 Euro ESP 5W30 504/507. Twice as much?

The warranty may not apply if there is damage. No 504 00 oil will cause damage where a 508 00 approval is listed. Not slight chance. None.

And you get to take your factory trained engineer to court when someone gets a burr and decides to make an issue, which is a slight chance and not a problem as long as you have one (A factory trained engineer) but a somewhat larger and more expensive deal if you don't. You don't have one of those do you Jack?

However as we have repeated over and over its a mostly academic discussion.

I have never seen it in any around Atlanta or East TN. I suppose it's not impossible some would have it, ive even had issues finding 0/40 M1.
I'll have a look this week next time I'm there. They always have the M1 0/5W 40 variants.

And you get to take your factory trained engineer to court when someone gets a burr and decides to make an issue, which is a slight chance and not a problem as long as you have one (A factory trained engineer) but a somewhat larger and more expensive deal if you don't. You don't have one of those do you Jack?

However as we have repeated over and over its a mostly academic discussion.
Love the Ritter reference....perfect here.

The only place to get 0w20 ESP over the counter around here is AZ and it isn’t cheap because all they have is quarts. At least when I bought it.

The only place to get 0w20 ESP over the counter around here is AZ and it isn’t cheap because all they have is quarts. At least when I bought it.
Certain AZs stock it in 5 quart jugs, and you can order it off their website. Same price as the other ESP flavors so it's not a bad deal.

Can always order anything you want online delivered to your door.

Back