Switch oil brand at 248,000 miles?

I'd probably stick with what it's used....but have no facts proving why you should. My thinking tells me the engine is used to the oil.

I switch oil brands all the time. Both mine use and or leak oil. No idea if it's from switching or just old age and milage. They both run great at 197k & 217k 👍

Some people say you can get into an oil usage situation when you change brands of oils after running the same brand
for a long time. Some people say that if you stay with the new brand, the oil consumption will finally decrease. IDK???

In the off chance that this engine gets noisy with a different brand of oil, I would be prepared to live with the noise or go back to M1.
But really it should not matter, just keep up with the maintenance. Toyotas that are regularly maintained seem to live nearly forever.

248k... have you ran an engine for more miles on a different oil?

I'm not a huge fan of M1, but if I knew for a fact it had gotten a vehicle 248k I'd stay with it in that vehicle.

I had an anxiety attack by just contemplating what you are planning on doing. I am going to call my therapist and ask them what I should do to put my life back together, I'll probably just pick up the pieces and move on 😫
He'd probably just tell you to hit a pillow!
Don't laugh, it worked for Robert DeNiro!

248k... have you ran an engine for more miles on a different oil?

I'm not a huge fan of M1, but if I knew for a fact it had gotten a vehicle 248k I'd stay with it in that vehicle.
Yes. 348k miles on a Mercedes 2.5 Turbo Diesel using Amsoil 10w-30/30 Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine. Engine still had great compression and didn't drink oil. Got a new timing chain at around 200k and injector nozzle rebuilds every 100k.
Body was getting rusty in the underbody seams and the trans was getting funky. Engine was fine.
I use Castrol in my current Bluetec. Amsoil priced themselves out for my current requirements.

I know that when I find something that is working successfully my first inclination is to change it up entirely.

Success is so boring.

My Caravan (listed in sig) has 204k on it and gets whatever oil from a reputable brand that I can get for a good price. Uses nor leaks any oil. So far, its mainly been Valvoline, but have run Mobil 1 at times as well.

I doubt the car will know the difference.

I have a 98 F-150. For the first 125,000 miles or so I always ran M1 5w-30 in it. Then I started using ST 5w-30. Truck always ran the same. At just under 250,000 miles I changed the timing chain, guides and tensioners. The engine looked great internally. Oh, 5k OCIs for most of it's life.

No reason why you should change.
different lube stocks have different detergencies ... it is probably a good idea for the dirt in the internals to get challenged by a different detergent pack.

Back