Switch oil brand at 248,000 miles?

I just bought a 2005 Lexus ES 330 with 248,000 miles that has been very well cared for. It came with full service records and appears it has run Mobil 1 its entire life. I run Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 in all of my cars and plan on switching this one over when I change oil. Tell me why I shouldn't.

I just bought a 2005 Lexus ES 330 with 248,000 miles that has been very well cared for. It came with full service records and appears it has run Mobil 1 its entire life. I run Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 in all of my cars and plan on switching this one over when I change oil. Tell me why I shouldn't.
Sounds like this is a Bitog fishing expedition.

Nothing bad could possibly happen. Use whatever 30 grade or up oil in it. The only thing I'd consider is something high mileage since they keep gaskets hydrated and can keep them good for longer and delay the inevitable.

I had an anxiety attack by just contemplating what you are planning on doing. I am going to call my therapist and ask them what I should do to put my life back together, I'll probably just pick up the pieces and move on 😫

Seriously I would keep using what it has had all its life. I have a Dodge Hemi 5.7 that has had Castrol GTX high milage always since the mileage got high. It now has 220k on it and has no leaks or usage between 5K changes. The seals are all used to that additive package. No reason to change. I also have a motorhome that has had Mobil 1 in its V 10 6.8 since new. That is what it gets again. There again, that is what those seals expect. I keep a service book of everything done to my vehicles including fuel fills. I have done that with all my cars including my first car from a junkyard, a 1936 Ford 5 window Coupe. Wish I still had it.

If i bought that car instead of you, it would get my clearance RGT..then it would get the rest of my clearance oil. If i ran out of clearance oil then i would run supertech or whatever was the best deal with a tough guard.

I would not pay full price for magnatec.

Spend your money on good tires and good brakes.

The oil brand is not going to matter. Mobil 1 has probably been reformulated a few times over the past 16 years and I doubt that the M1 that you would source today was extracted from the same well or included the same elements now that it did back then.

If you want to keep using what got the car this far, that's totally understandable. If you want to keep your economy of scale by using Magnatec, it won't hurt anything, and sometimes, variety is the spice of life.

tough-crowd.gif

Back