SuperTech Full Synthetic oil - Anyone doing 10k OCI with it, and any issues with sludge/varnish.

I'm thinking about increasing my OCI with SuperTech Full Synthetic (STFS), but just wanted to learn more about how it handles 10K OCI
on engines that are tough on the oil (like ecoboost engines, etc).

If you respond, please list:

Your oil change interval in miles/months,
How many years you've been using STFS,
Your car year, make, model, engine type, oil viscosity you are using,
and if you've noticed any sludge/varnish under the valve cover that you think is caused by using STFS + 10k mile OCI for a long period of time.

Thanks

Last edited:
Not gonna break down all that data but from cars I see in my shop that we use ST on they all are just as spotless inside as cars we see on M1 and other syns. One in particular, a 2018 Camaro 3.6DI has 178k miles and we just did fuel injectors and VC gaskets and the motor was spotless with zero varness -just shiny aluminum. That car runs by the OLM so she's about 6-8k mile changes on the regular STFS. I have seen the same results for other vehicles as well. Might not be the answer you like as far as details but I, as a shop owner, have seem plenty of ST maintained vehicles that look great.

I'm thinking about increasing my OCI with SuperTech Full Synthetic (STFS), but just wanted to learn more about how it handles 10K OCI
on engines that are tough on the oil (like ecoboost engines, etc).

If you respond, please list:

Your oil change interval in miles/months,
How many years you've been using STFS,
Your car year, make, model, engine type, oil viscosity you are using,
and if you've noticed any sludge/varnish under the valve cover that you think is caused by using STFS + 10k mile OCI for a long period of time.

Thanks

IMO a lot depends upon the vehicle you are speaking of. I am a fan of the Ecoboost engines but I tell ya I'd not be comfortable with any oil on the market with a 10k run. If you are speaking of an Eco I'd be fine with standard ST synthetic and 5k OCI. Fuel dilution is a huge concern for me anyway.

I ran a 3.6 Subaru engine to over 10k with Mobil 1 with excellent UOA's but settled on a comfortable 7500 mile OCI and I've remained there. So I'm not adverse to 10k but DI engines & 10k OCI is past my comfort level.

IMO a lot depends upon the vehicle you are speaking of. I am a fan of the Ecoboost engines but I tell ya I'd not be comfortable with any oil on the market with a 10k run. If you are speaking of an Eco I'd be fine with standard ST synthetic and 5k OCI. Fuel dilution is a huge concern for me anyway.

I ran a 3.6 Subaru engine to over 10k with Mobil 1 with excellent UOA's but settled on a comfortable 7500 mile OCI and I've remained there. So I'm not adverse to 10k but DI engines & 10k OCI is past my comfort level.
There are Supertech Syn runs over 10K with Ecoboost engines on the UOA forum with good results. That said it probably depends quite a bit on your use case. If you're doing all highway, 10K should be no issue in an Ecoboost with any group III synthetic. If it's doing soccer mom duty with lots of idling, I would change at 5K or sooner, personally speaking.

Due to life reasons, I ended up running 11k On Supertech last year. It had a little varnish inside one of the valve covers (on the side with the PCV) but nothing I would have been concerned about.

I ran nearly 12k miles on ST conventional oil in a 2018 3.5L Cyclone Ford Taurus
As the UOA results show, there were no issues; wear rates and contamination were well under control.
As for the "sludge" issue ... that's not a problem with the n/a Cyclone series; they run very clean.

Here's the same car after 10k miles on HPL:
Again, excellent wear rates. As the engine runs very clean, the HPL didn't have a lot of work ahead of it in that regard.

My point? Both the inexpensive conventional ST and the very expensive HPL both did about the same job in terms of wear, for the duration of use. I'm confident the HPL would have lasted a lot longer in service, but I ended up selling the car to get my current Lexus.

None of the above says that your application will be a success, or a failure. But it's proof that SOME applications don't need expensive lubes to do well.
The only way to know for sure is to experiment for yourself. Then report your findings here.

Last edited:
Not gonna break down all that data but from cars I see in my shop that we use ST on they all are just as spotless inside as cars we see on M1 and other syns. One in particular, a 2018 Camaro 3.6DI has 178k miles and we just did fuel injectors and VC gaskets and the motor was spotless with zero varness -just shiny aluminum. That car runs by the OLM so she's about 6-8k mile changes on the regular STFS. I have seen the same results for other vehicles as well. Might not be the answer you like as far as details but I, as a shop owner, have seem plenty of ST maintained vehicles that look great.
Thanks for that info - Would you know how many miles / years that 2018 Camaro has been using SuperTech HMFS?

Are you planning on doing this with the 20k version of Supertech? I think that might be the better way to go, even though the standard version is rated for 10k.
I was planning on using the SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic, which is marketed as a 10,000 mile oil.
Some VOA's on BITOG showed very little difference between the ST 10k and 20k oils (the 20k just had a slightly more generous additive package with extra phosphorous / zinc.

There are Supertech Syn runs over 10K with Ecoboost engines on the UOA forum with good results. That said it probably depends quite a bit on your use case. If you're doing all highway, 10K should be no issue in an Ecoboost with any group III synthetic. If it's doing soccer mom duty with lots of idling, I would change at 5K or sooner, personally speaking.

I'm aware and you, Sir are correct. My words reflect what I am comfortable with only. I'm a little conservative with vehicles.

I ran nearly 12k miles on ST conventional oil in a 2018 3.5L Cyclone Ford Taurus
As the UOA results show, there were no issues; wear rates and contamination were well under control.
As for the "sludge" issue ... that's not a problem with the n/a Cyclone series; they run very clean.

Here's the same car after 10k miles on HPL:
Again, excellent wear rates. As the engine runs very clean, the HPL didn't have a lot of work ahead of it in that regard.

My point? Both the inexpensive conventional ST and the very expensive HPL both did about the same job in terms of wear, for the duration of use. I'm confident the HPL would have lasted a lot longer in service, but I ended up selling the car to get my current Lexus.

None of the above says that your application will be a success, or a failure. But it's proof that SOME applications don't need expensive lubes to do well.
The only way to know for sure is to experiment for yourself. Then report your findings here.
The SuperTech conventional results are superb for almost 12k OCI. Thanks for that info.

Due to life reasons, I ended up running 11k On Supertech last year. It had a little varnish inside one of the valve covers (on the side with the PCV) but nothing I would have been concerned about.
Was it SuperTech conventional or Full Synthetic?
Do you think the 11k run added a little varnish, or is it likely the varnish was already there?

Thanks for that info - Would you know how many miles / years that 2018 Camaro has been using SuperTech HMFS?
I'm sorry - yes it has been on the ST the whole time she's had the car. There was probably a few different oils here and there from other oil change places she's gone to between us but I can safely say 75=80% of the time is was ST.

I'm sorry - yes it has been on the ST the whole time she's had the car. There was probably a few different oils here and there from other oil change places she's gone to between us but I can safely say 75=80% of the time is was ST.
So to summarize: A 2018 Camaro 3.6DI has 178k miles with 6k-8k OCI with SuperTech Full Synthetic used 75% to 80% of the time was spotless with zero varnesh - just shiny aluminum.

Thanks, that helps a lot. So even though my application is a different engine, it's a good baseline to use to be able to say SuperTech Full Synthetic can handle what you mentioned above.

Was it SuperTech conventional or Full Synthetic?
Do you think the 11k run added a little varnish, or is it likely the varnish was already there?

I had the valve covers 15000 miles prior when I put the engine in and it was clean.
It was the lower end supertech synthetic. Not the 20K mile variant if I remember right.

The car had seen a bit of towing, a few highway trips, a winter commute ... Definitely qualified for severe service .

Back