Super Tech 20W50 VS Diesel rated 15W40

I am about to break out the pressure washer for my annual battle with sidewalk, driveway and patio mold -

Houston weather forecast 95-99 degrees for the next two weeks.

I was in Walmart and impulse purchased a quart of Super Tech 20W50 conventinal oil.

I was planning on using Chevron Delo 15W40 semi synthetic but with temps close to 100 and the 6.5 HP Kohler engine in the pressure washer running flat out for hours at a time I thought maybe the 20W50 would be a better choice.

So what is the BTOG consensus for oil under these conditions?

20W50 conventional or 15W40 semi synthetic?

BTW - Kohler recommends their 10W50 synthetic - so 50 weight is an approved oil. But for $25 a quart they can forget about that. The ST 20W50 was $4.24 a quart and I can buy 5 quarts for ~~$17.

Full disclouser - I don't recall which thread - but someplace on this forum I have stated I would never use a 50 weight oil. So maybe an old dog can learn a new trick!

IMO @z71bill keep it full and find something else to worry about. Either of those oils will be fine for hours of use. I use F&F 5w40 HDEO in my OPE to aid in easier starting. Probably not a concern for you in Houston.

Just my $0.02

I don't care what the ambient temp is, I'm not running a 20w50 in splash lube.

Kohler - the manufacturer of the engine has 10W50 as the #1 oil recomendation - it is full synthetic but starting the engine when it is 95 degrees outside I think 20W50 will splash around just fine.

Last edited:
Kohler - the manufacturer of the engine has 10W50 as the #1 oil recomendation - it is full synthetic but starting the engine when it is 95 degrees outside I think 20W50 will splash around just fine.
firefox_2023-06-11_22-52.jpg

Sure. Kohler recommends their expensive, high margin marketing partnership oil. But if you don't run their oil, they don't recommend anything but a 30 weight. Go ahead and run 20w50 supertech if you want.

I simply said I'd never do it.

View attachment 160778

Sure. Kohler recommends their expensive, high margin marketing partnership oil. But if you don't run their oil, they don't recommend anything but a 30 weight. Go ahead and run 20w50 supertech if you want.

I simply said I'd never do it.
10w50 is a thick oil for being recommended year round too. Any mowers with a Kohler engine have a similar recommendation?

Also, I have always thought too thick of oil can cause the engine to run hotter. The 300 hr OCI is quite the stretch too. Perhaps they bank on people not doing that.

I can't imagine going 300 hours between oil changes on an engine without an oil filter.
I agree. That's bad advice by Kohler. Atleast it will be out of warranty by then and that's all Kohler is concerned about.

I would use Mobil 1 FS Euro 0W-40 over either of those 2. I see no reason for even the 40 grade, much less the 50 grade.
You see no reason for a 40 weight oil but recommend 0W40 which is a 40 weight oil.

When it is over 90 degrees outside - I can't see any benefit of a 0W anything.

Last edited:
Back