Super Tech 20w50 Motorcycle oil

In Walmart today and happened to see Super Tech Full Synthetic 20w50 Motorcycle oil on the shelf for $4.88/qt. I was tempted to pick up 5 or 10 qts but thought I would check here first. This looked like a regular price but it is almost 1/2 what I saw the 10w40 for this past summer.

I'd buy it at that price, as it comes out cheaper than Rotella T6 which is around $22/gal.

Bonz brought this to my attention a couple weeks back, and I picked up some 10w40. Agree, with no "sale" or "clearance" tags, hard to tell what the actual price will be. They just came out with this line of oil less than a year ago, and it msrp'd at $8.48/qt, what it still costs on-line.

a good deal as most MOTORCYCLE oils are OVERPRICED!! depending on your climate + bike 20-50 may or not be a good choice!

I don't get it. I can never find oil at the prices I see guys here pay. I just looked up ST 20/50 mc oil at my local walmart, and their price is $8.48 a qt. Even automotive oils are more by me, and some are impossible to even find. Plus they never go on sale if you do find them.,,,

I don't get it. I can never find oil at the prices I see guys here pay. I just looked up ST 20/50 mc oil at my local walmart, and their price is $8.48 a qt. Even automotive oils are more by me, and some are impossible to even find. Plus they never go on sale if you do find them.,,,
Agreed! Valvoline Vr1 full synthetic 20w50 on Amazon is $47.32 for a six pack with Prime free shipping, which comes to less than $8 a qt. I’m sure the ST mc oil would be a good choice, but I’ll take the Vr1 for a cheaper price and not have to deal with the WM crowd.

I have been running Rotella in both bikes usually mixed 50/50 T4/T6 but Yamaha changed their recommended oil for my Stratoliner from 20w40 to 20w50 which I always thought might be too thick because I ride mostly in the spring and fall and even when I ride in the dog days of summer I avoid any traffic like the plague. Nothing like sitting in traffic in 90+ temps on an oil/air cooled bike. At the current price I may pick up 5 qts to try.

IMO, 20w50 is hard to beat for all-around use in an air-cooled MC engine of any design. I have never followed where the concept becomes reality that 20w50 would be too thick in spring or fall, and looks like Yamaha is beginning to agree by retroactively making a specification alteration. But I wouldn’t think twice about continuing with 20w40 either as you’ve probably been using that for a while with no issues and you shouldn’t have any issues with it.

My local Walmart here still has all flavors of ST motorcycle/ATV oil for $4.98 a quart, checked again this morning. I have picked up enough 20w/50 to cover me for an oil change down the road on top of the other different oils I collect to use in my motorcycle. Reality is I am an oil collector.

I admit, I have 8 qts of Red Line 20w50 MC, 6 qts Castrol Syn 20w50 MC, 4 qts Valvoline 20w50 conventional MC, 4 qts SuperTech 20w50 MC, 4 qts M1 10w40 4T, a gallon of Delo 400 LE 15w40, a gallon of T5 15w40 and a 5 qt jug of M1 15w50. Always buying the stuff on sale, even the Redline off eBay. $4-$6 a quart isn’t gonna lose me any argument about overpriced motorcycle oil. That’ll cover me for 10+ riding seasons at 5,000 miles a year. Only oils of those listed that I have not run yet are the Redline 20w50 and the Super Tech 20w50. All the others have seen at least one OCI in the ZRX over the years, in addition to M1 20W50 V -Twin and a few others I don’t have on hand.

Carry on.

Yea, I have been running 15W40 because 20w40 was becoming unobtainium. When they made the change I figured they were having issues in the south like Florida and Arizona or maybe the oil was shearing out of grade at there OCI. I will try the 20w50 to see if it improves my shift for longer.

I like the Yamaharleys, especially the Strat Deluxe with the batwing that resembles a Streetglide and the Strat S that resembles a Road King. Hopefully Yamaha will bring them back.

Shift quality (and good analysis, stay in grade) is the reason I now use M1 10w40 or M1 20w50 V-Twin. Maintains for 5,000 mile OCI’s in my shared sump ZRX1200 and are the only two oils of the many I used that I can say that about.

man you guys pay a LOT for mc oil

Shell Rotella T 15w40 white jug is $14.88 a gallon at the walmart 3miles from me

heck the Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0w30 for my truck is just 26.88 for the gallon

It's funny Harley recommends a Diesel oil for their bikes for the times Harley brand oil isn't available, but goes on to say to change it back to Harley brand oil asap. And they say to run a 10w40 wt ,when the operating air temp is 40f ,or below. I've changed 20/50 wt on a 90f day, and it pours like water out of the oil pan. I couldn't imagine what a 10w40 would look like under those same conditions. I use Valvoline 20/50 MC conv oil. But if the price keeps creeping up, I might try Supertech conv 20/50 wt. I have a hard time paying over $8 a qt for any oil, knowing the end results will more then likely be the same.,,,,

IMO, 20w50 is hard to beat for all-around use in an air-cooled MC engine of any design. I have never followed where the concept becomes reality that 20w50 would be too thick in spring or fall, and looks like Yamaha is beginning to agree by retroactively making a specification alteration. But I wouldn’t think twice about continuing with 20w40 either as you’ve probably been using that for a while with no issues and you shouldn’t have any issues with it.

My local Walmart here still has all flavors of ST motorcycle/ATV oil for $4.98 a quart, checked again this morning. I have picked up enough 20w/50 to cover me for an oil change down the road on top of the other different oils I collect to use in my motorcycle. Reality is I am an oil collector.

I admit, I have 8 qts of Red Line 20w50 MC, 6 qts Castrol Syn 20w50 MC, 4 qts Valvoline 20w50 conventional MC, 4 qts SuperTech 20w50 MC, 4 qts M1 10w40 4T, a gallon of Delo 400 LE 15w40, a gallon of T5 15w40 and a 5 qt jug of M1 15w50. Always buying the stuff on sale, even the Redline off eBay. $4-$6 a quart isn’t gonna lose me any argument about overpriced motorcycle oil. That’ll cover me for 10+ riding seasons at 5,000 miles a year. Only oils of those listed that I have not run yet are the Redline 20w50 and the Super Tech 20w50. All the others have seen at least one OCI in the ZRX over the years, in addition to M1 20W50 V -Twin and a few others I don’t have on hand.

Carry on.

Ha .. Me too. I have:
1.) 3 qts Mystic JT8 15w50 (left from jug)
2.) 2qts M1 15w50 (from jug)
3.) 2 qts M1 20w50 v-ywin
4). 3 qts M1 10w40 4t
5.) 3 qts ST 10w40 full syn
6.) 2 qts Castrol 10w40 Act Evo syn blend
7.) 1 qt Castrol 10w50 R Power full syn
8.) 2 qts Quick Silver 10w40 m/c oil
9.) 2 qts Shell Rotella T6 5w40 (from jug)

With my current C-A Spyder having 9K miles OCI, and me putting on about 8K annually, I am .5 qts short for four annual oil changes. Yet, why do I feel compelled to buy more ????

It's funny Harley recommends a Diesel oil for their bikes for the times Harley brand oil isn't available, but goes on to say to change it back to Harley brand oil asap. And they say to run a 10w40 wt ,when the operating air temp is 40f ,or below. I've changed 20/50 wt on a 90f day, and it pours like water out of the oil pan. I couldn't imagine what a 10w40 would look like under those same conditions. I use Valvoline 20/50 MC conv oil. But if the price keeps creeping up, I might try Supertech conv 20/50 wt. I have a hard time paying over $8 a qt for any oil, knowing the end results will more then likely be the same.,,,,
I've had (and still have) Harleys for some time. Prior go them, my last non HD was an 1983 Suzuki gs1100gk. A buzzy 4cylinder air cooled couch. It ran hot. I mean 275-300*hot in the summer. It spec'd 10w-40oil. We all know how crappy that oil was in the 80's. When I got the bike it had 26k on it. It was my father's. I used rotella 15w-40 exclusively in it. Never had an issue. I sold it with 98k on it. I run rotella in the bikes during the winters here, and a few guys I know run it year round. The GS ran 3-6psi, roller crank bearing, was lubed very similar to how industrial machinery is, oil just flows out little "pipes" right onto the cam\bucket shims. If I had that Stupertech 20w-50 back then, I'd have used it in a heartbeat. Id love to see a VOA on it, I bet I'd be a good oil, if not as good or better than the rotella for the hogs.

I bought a large stash of Valvoline MC 20w50 on sale at WM a couple years ago.. think I paid $4/quart. I've run that 20w50 in both my water cooled 650 and 1000. Shifts like butter :)

I bought a large stash of Valvoline MC 20w50 on sale at WM a couple years ago.. think I paid $4/quart. I've run that 20w50 in both my water cooled 650 and 1000. Shifts like butter :)
I've used the same oil in the 10W-40 viscosity, and also like how the bike shifts.

I've used the same oil in the 10W-40 viscosity, and also like how the bike shifts.
Yes, sir! That's my winter oil (along with the leftover Rotella laying around)... got about 12 quarts of the 10w40 too :)

Surprised how well that oil performs.... road the 20w50 all the way down to Georgia and back last year in the 650. That wicked slick shifting sure was nice on those roads down south... Deals Gap was a lot of fun.

OP, use it with confidence.

I have two VOAs for Super Tech... are they Super or average??? its up to you to decide... objectively speaking any major brand synthetic will meet and exceed your milage expectations...

SuperTech5w30.JPG

SuperTech25w40.JPG

Back