Super Tech 20w50 Motorcycle oil

M1 V-Twin has much better zinc and phosphorus specs, and it is a known quantity from my analysis over a 5000+ mile oil change. My M1 UOA showed 162 ppm boron, 61 ppm moly, 2160 ppm calcium and 107 ppm magnesium. The UOA did show lower zinc and phosphorus numbers than M1 specs show, but still healthier in quantity than Supertech. M1 stays in grade and shift quality in a shared sump simply does not fall off. I can see using a partial quart of Supertech to top off an oil change instead of cracking open a fourth quart of the M1. But the M1 definitely has the add pack I would choose on the whole.

Last edited:
M1 is good stuff no doubt, but at 2x the price. When you need 6 qts per oci the difference between $60 and $30 is worth a try.

M1 is good stuff no doubt, but at 2x the price. When you need 6 qts per oci the difference between $60 and $30 is worth a try.
Agreed on that! My ZRX1200 has ZZR1200 cams in it. The consensus with my self and others running that combo shows the higher the zinc the better for the cam lobes on the rocker arm and shim valve train. For me, the zinc is a big factor and I happen to also have found the M1 oils don’t lose shift quality so I hit both nails on the head.

If I had a Superbike that spent much time above 5000 rpm I would rethink my choice. An 1854 CC Twin running between 1700 and 3500 rpm with most of its time at 2300 is not going to put the stress on the engine or drive train that yours will. That and at 68 it does not take as much to get my adrenaline up anymore so I have a pretty casual riding style. All the injuries I got 30 years ago are coming back to haunt me now.

Agreed on that! My ZRX1200 has ZZR1200 cams in it. The consensus with my self and others running that combo shows the higher the zinc the better for the cam lobes on the rocker arm and shim valve train. For me, the zinc is a big factor and I happen to also have found the M1 oils don’t lose shift quality so I hit both nails on the head.
If I had a Superbike that spent much time above 5000 rpm I would rethink my choice. An 1854 CC Twin running between 1700 and 3500 rpm with most of its time at 2300 is not going to put the stress on the engine or drive train that yours will. That and at 68 it does not take as much to get my adrenaline up anymore so I have a pretty casual riding style. All the injuries I got 30 years ago are coming back to haunt me now.
Rock-on!🎸

My 2018 Goldwing calls for 10W-30 and Walmart sells their ST in that weight in the correct spec and it's full synthetic. Just under $5 a qt. Honda wants $6 a qt for their dino in that weight, and their synthetic is ridiculous. There's no reason to pay insane prices for motorcycle branded, or boutique branded oils when you can get ST this cheap. ST is good oil...a buddy of mine pays $17 a qt for Amsoil...he's nuts!

My 2018 Goldwing calls for 10W-30 and Walmart sells their ST in that weight in the correct spec and it's full synthetic. Just under $5 a qt. Honda wants $6 a qt for their dino in that weight, and their synthetic is ridiculous. There's no reason to pay insane prices for motorcycle branded, or boutique branded oils when you can get ST this cheap. ST is good oil...a buddy of mine pays $17 a qt for Amsoil...he's nuts!
How do you like the new Gold Wing? The flat-6 Gold Wing even with a shared sump is historically pretty easy on oil, you should have a great run with the Supertech!

Looking forward to how ST 20w50 or 10w40 MC oils hold up with respect to shifting over an OCI in a more traditional shared sump engine.

Why would anyone pay $17?

Retail is $13.89
PC is $9.95

Well this isn't an Amsoil thread, but I do need to respond.

$113 for a case of 12, PC fee reimbursed, free shipping. Carry on.

Tax of course, applies to whatever oil you buy depending on use location.

How do you like the new Gold Wing? The flat-6 Gold Wing even with a shared sump is historically pretty easy on oil, you should have a great run with the Supertech!

Looking forward to how ST 20w50 or 10w40 MC oils hold up with respect to shifting over an OCI in a more traditional shared sump engine.
It's an awesome bike! The DCT is amazing! Can't wait to take my first long trip on it...

Why would anyone pay $17?

Retail is $13.89
PC is $9.95
Because that's what the motorcycle place charges for it, and that's where he buys it...I wouldn't even pay $9.95 for it when I can get ST for under $5 a qt...

Back