Conventional 20W50 For Harley Davidson

I searched a bit and couldn't find an answer.

I'm actually asking a question for my older brother who owns a 100th Anniversary Electra Glide and a Road King. He's been using HD Syn-3 20W50. He recently tried Valvoline synthetic 20W50, because it's cheaper and can be easily found while he's traveling, but he said his oil pressures in both motors ran very low.

He talked with a Harley mechanic and he recommended using HD's conventional 20W50. My brother told me the price per quart on it, and I'm wondering if simply using a name brand conventional 20W50 would offer equal protection and performance at a lower price per quart.

Widespread availability is important to him, so I'm trying to find a brand of 20W50 that can easily be found on the shelves at Walmart, Autozone, etc. He's a believer in frequent oil and oil filter changes, so I'm guessing a quality conventional 20W50 would work well(?) The first conventional 20W50 that comes to mind for me is Castrol GTX Ultraclean. I see it on Walmart shelves across the country.

I'm a Trucker, and I've told him I've read many posts from HD Riders who use 15W40 HDEOs in their motors, but he's concerned the higher engine temperatures in HD motors might not be a good idea for a 15W40 HDEO.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

The HD Syn-3 oil is made by Citgo & way overpriced. My 08 Road King Classic 96 cubic inches purrs on Mobil One V-Twin 20W50 but you would have zero issues using HD 20W50 conventional at appropriate oil change intervals moving forward.

Dale

Last edited:
Is there any other conventional 20W50 that you'd recommend in place of HD360?

I've used the Valvoline Vr1 20w50 conventional for years in 2 different Harley's with no complaints. It's gotten about as pricey as the Harley conventional, however it can be found at AZ, Oreillys, Advance etc.

I've been running Castrol GTX 20W-50 in my Sportster (74 in) for years. Runs fine. No oil pressure lights, nada ...
smile.gif

HD's have poor oil pressure normally, the M-8 is marginally better. unless your in a hotter climate or set in a lot of traffic conventional works, but should be changed at shorter intervals. anything labeled HD costs more + is not necessarily better!!

I've used Valvoline motorcycle 20w50, vr1 20w50, and Rotella 15w40 in my Harley when I had one. All good. Daily driver, 60 mile commute. Lots of hot stop and go.

I've been running Valvoline MC 20/50 conventional for years in my Harley. I just ordered a case of 6 qts from Walmart on line for $21 and change, no tax and free shipping. Works out to about $3.50 a qt. You would need a telephone pole to beat that deal.,,,

Thanks everyone for the replies! Please keep them coming!

BTW, he's really sour on all things Valvoline after their 20W50 Syn gave him low oil pressure. He's worried it may have damaged his motor. He's sending in an oil sample, fingers crossed everything is ok.

BTW, I was the one who suggested Valvoline synthetic because I've read quite a few positive posts about it here and on other HD forums.

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
I've been running Castrol GTX 20W-50 in my Sportster (74 in) for years. Runs fine. No oil pressure lights, nada ...
smile.gif

My brother found an SG rated conventional 20W50 Castrol GTX that's motorcycle specific at his local Walmart. I think he said it costs $6.00 a quart. Is this the version you're using or are you using the GTX Ultraclean 20W50?

Last edited:
So he has an oil pressure gauge on the dash (not just the idiot light) and monitors pressure while he rides and noticed lower pressure when switching to Valvoline? Did he mention how low it got?

Originally Posted by Dak27
Originally Posted by BrocLuno
smile.gif

My brother found an SG rated conventional 20W50 Castrol GTX that's motorcycle specific at his local Walmart. I think he said it costs $6.00 a quart. Is this the version you're using or are you using the GTX Ultraclean 20W50?

Since I stocked up back a few years ago, it just plain old GTX 20W-50 (before Ultra Clean) ... Sold the bike yesterday, so now I have some GTX for something else ...

My FIL has raced, built, and ridden Harley's since his teens and he uses Drag Specialties oils.

I don't know if there's anything special to them, but it's all he'll run.

For my Fatboy, I used the HD360 during the warranty period and then the Mobil 1 V-twin 20w50. I purchased the Mobil 1 V-twin oil during the month of March +/- month when bike season is in full swing and places like Autozone, Advance autoparts "always" has sales for motorcycle specific oils for ~$2 off/at or reduced oil change packages so at least you can stock up.

Mobil 1 V-twin oil has a pretty high rating and positive feedback for the twin cam 88 motor owners including myself.

Originally Posted by ccs368
For my Fatboy, I used the HD360 during the warranty period and then the Mobil 1 V-twin 20w50. I purchased the Mobil 1 V-twin oil during the month of March +/- month when bike season is in full swing and places like Autozone, Advance autoparts "always" has sales for motorcycle specific oils for ~$2 off/at or reduced oil change packages so at least you can stock up.

Mobil 1 V-twin oil has a pretty high rating and positive feedback for the twin cam 88 motor owners including myself.

I'll get the specifics from him tomorrow or Tuesday, and I'll post back.

I've also noticed Mobil 1 V-twin gets mentioned a lot from HD riders. I'm not sure if he'll try another synthetic right now. He said he bought a rather big supply of Valvoline 20W50, and he's now wondering if he can return the unused bottles and get a refund.

I've also noticed Mobil 1 V-twin gets mentioned a lot from HD riders. I'm not sure if he'll try another synthetic right now. He said he bought a rather big supply of Valvoline 20W50, and he's now wondering if he can return the unused bottles and get a refund.

I'm sure you can return just about anything with a valid receipt within a store's policy time period and typically store credit without receipt less sales tax and sometimes they'll credit the person at sales price regardless to deter fraudulent returns.

But my reply is more of an inquiry into how it was determined that a syn oil vs. conv or brand a vs. brand b or thin grade vs. thick grade, etc. etc. causes low oil pressure. If this happened to me, I would be hesitant to blame the oil unless i can turn the problem on/off repeatedly and not occurring intermittently. Things like oil filter used may have also been coincidently attributed to low oil pressure. Age or mileage or checking into pressure switch and oil pump gap with more quantitative measuring tools. I guess what I'm saying is it would be misleading for me to say go with this oil to solve low oil pressure issues because there is a bit more to rule out before steering a person correctly.

15/50 Mobil 1 is also very common on the Harley Forums.

Alarmguy has had good luck with Mystic which is also made by Citgo, but I'm not too sure how available it is.

Although I agree it is unlikely the oil actually caused low oil pressure. I would be likely to let him follow the Harley mechanics advice because if he doesn't and the oil pressure is still low (which it probably will be) the new oil may get the blame.

I searched a bit and couldn't find an answer.

I'm actually asking a question for my older brother who owns a 100th Anniversary Electra Glide and a Road King. He's been using HD Syn-3 20W50. He recently tried Valvoline synthetic 20W50, because it's cheaper and can be easily found while he's traveling, but he said his oil pressures in both motors ran very low.

He talked with a Harley mechanic and he recommended using HD's conventional 20W50. My brother told me the price per quart on it, and I'm wondering if simply using a name brand conventional 20W50 would offer equal protection and performance at a lower price per quart.

I'm a Trucker, and I've told him I've read many posts from HD Riders who use 15W40 HDEOs in their motors, but he's concerned the higher engine temperatures in HD motors might not be a good idea for a 15W40 HDEO.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

AS far as using a HDEO, well, he is wrong on that, all he has to do is read 2014 touring owners manual and later owners manual, as it states to use an HDEO oi if Harley Oil not available, no other type of oil is mentioned as a substitute other then an HDEO. However we are not talking about a 14 or later bike.

I do use an 15/50 HDEO Mystik JT8 but will not be readily available anyplace in the country, I mail order mine but Rural King and other stores like that carry it.
Citgo makes it, same as they make HD oil. Using a 15/40 HDEO or any other 40 oil would be a disaster if looking to increase oil pressure, he wants a 50 for sure.

Honestly, I think he would be better off with the HD Conventional 20/50 oil if looking to increase oil pressure.
Its a heavy robust oil, also Mobile 1 and Amsoil 20/50 motorcycle oil is too.

Anyway, hard to know, only way is for him to try others until he see's an oil pressure he likes. Remember, too high oil pressure is no good, it just means oil is having a problem flowing through the engine (like blood pressure) :eek:)
So I dont really buy into what he is being told about low pressure ... on two bikes no less.

Last edited:
Back