What Weight Oil Do You Run In Your Generators ?

I just changed out the oil in all 3 of my generators. (Honda EM-600, and 2 Westinghouse 9,500 watt dual fuel models). I went with Mobil 1, 15W-50 in all 3. It can get very hot here in the dead of Summer. And that's when we are most likely to have the most outages. The 15W-50 seems about the perfect choice. Even in the coldest weather here in the Winter, my garage seldom gets below 65 F. (Where I store both of them).

I have about 1-1/2 quarts remaining from the 5 quart jug. It will be just enough to change out the oil in my pressure washer the next time I crank it up. (Kohler 6-1/2 H.P. Simpson). What weight oil do you guys run in your gen sets?

I have a bottle that my leftovers from the Honda's (The Ranger uses the full box, no leftovers) goes into (Usually Havoline HM 5W30). That's what goes in my mowers, pressure washers, and my little Wen 56125i. Back in July it ran for 10 hours straight in Savannah at a softball tournament at about 50% output and didn't use a drop. I think it's got a little over 100 hours on it now if memory serves.

We have a Coleman Powermate 5000 watt generator with a B&S 9 HP Vanguard engine and all I've ever run in it is Havoline 10w30, and it's 22 years old and still runs great, and burns no oil.

My generator (5500 watt Generac) calls for 10w30 but I only had ST conventional 5w30 so that’s what I put in it. I put that in my mower, snow blower and pressure washer too.

My initial oil in the Westinghouse units was Mobil 1, 10W-30. After the break in period I went to the 15W-50 only because of the high Summertime temperatures we have here in the Colorado River Valley. They can run 120 F, and even higher. June and July are in the one teens all but daily. So I thought the 15W-50 would give a bit better protection in those unusually high operating temps.

My WGen9500 has 10W30 Redline ester/PAO …
the other gens 12000/6000/4000/4000/2000 have Delvac 1 5W40 …
I keep a box fan (55w) plugged in to the WGen to keep new air moving past it …

Thicker oil makes engine run hotter which causes oil to thin and breakdown more. Rather than go up in weight i prefer to go up in quality.

I keep a box fan (55w) plugged in to the WGen to keep new air moving past it …

Another good benefit of keeping a fan moving air through a open frame gen set, is it helps in keeping the fuel cool. Most generators have the fuel tank sitting on the top of the unit. Engine, dynamo, and exhaust heat travels up, acting like a stove, heating the fuel in the tank. By running a fan, much of this heat is dissipated, and kept away from heating the fuel, while at the same time, helping in keeping the engine cool.

Another good benefit of keeping a fan moving air through a open frame gen set, is it helps in keeping the fuel cool. Most generators have the fuel tank sitting on the top of the unit. Engine, dynamo, and exhaust heat travels up, acting like a stove, heating the fuel in the tank. By running a fan, much of this heat is dissipated, and kept away from heating the fuel, while at the same time, helping in keeping the engine cool.
Indeed - also like it pushing exhaust heat away from the alternator … and fumes and all 😷

I just changed out the oil in all 3 of my generators. (Honda EM-600, and 2 Westinghouse 9,500 watt dual fuel models). I went with Mobil 1, 15W-50 in all 3. It can get very hot here in the dead of Summer. And that's when we are most likely to have the most outages. The 15W-50 seems about the perfect choice. Even in the coldest weather here in the Winter, my garage seldom gets below 65 F. (Where I store both of them).

I have about 1-1/2 quarts remaining from the 5 quart jug. It will be just enough to change out the oil in my pressure washer the next time I crank it up. (Kohler 6-1/2 H.P. Simpson). What weight oil do you guys run in your gen sets?
I have a Coleman Powermate with a 10 HP Subaru and a Northstar 5500 with a 9 HP Vanguard engine.
I use Mobil Delvac 15W-40 or Rotella 15W-40 with no problems.

I run 10w-30. It covers the expected temperatures I will encounter in my area year round.

I too have a Westinghouse 9500W and I run 5W-30 in it. It's 4 years old and has about 20 hours on it consisting of me starting it and putting a load on it at the start of every month and I think we legit lost power for 3 hours once. I change it once per year and the oil looks brand new.

Sigh...prior to getting the generator we lost power for +12 hours several times and a few times >24hours.

My briggs and stratton elite series generator 5500 calls for straight 30 weight oil, 11hp manual start motor. Would never be able to start it in cold weather with straight 30 weight oil...I have been using Mobil Super 5w-30 that I found on clearance last year.

I too have a Westinghouse 9500W and I run 5W-30 in it. It's 4 years old and has about 20 hours on it consisting of me starting it and putting a load on it at the start of every month and I think we legit lost power for 3 hours once. I change it once per year and the oil looks brand new.

Sigh...prior to getting the generator we lost power for +12 hours several times and a few times >24hours.
See - it’s working just like if you water or spray weeds it will trigger some rain 😷

Both of my Honda generators call for 10W-30 in the owners manual. Currently I have 10W-30 in them. Once I use up the last of that, I have a new jug of Mobil1 TDT 5W-40 on the shelf to use.
I haven't had any issues with the 10W-30 that I know of and these generators seem to run a long life on it. I just wanted a little easier starts in the winter with the 5W and many people on BITOG like the 40 for protection in the summer. So, I thought I'd give it a try.

Back