Stupid Airport mm-wave Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I have said the last time this came up. Concern about the radiation from these scanners is about equal to fear of cell phone radiation when your cell phone is 50 feet away from you.

Anyone who has worked in the radiation field and is truly knowledgeable with the subject lol's at this [censored],

But whatever.

After many years of enjoying world wide travel, my wife and I no longer fly anywhere. I have no fear of the radiation, I simply refuse to be treated like cattle being led to slaughter. Between the sham the TSA has brainwashed the public into believing and the poor quality, overpriced airlines, it's simply not worth it to us to travel by air.

Granted, we will probably again never travel overseas, but we've seen all that we wanted anyway, so we'll limit our travel to the train or by car.

I've yet to ever see a TSA agent do a proper patdown... at least not the way I was ever trained. 5 patdowns a day x 5 days a week x 50 weeks per year x 5 years = over 6,000 times of "feeling up" felons.

Never use an open palm on the groin. Use the back of the hand to feel around the scrotum. Fold the waist band down partially and feel around the exterior of it to prevent sticks from needles/other sharps. Roll down the cuff of the socks. Thoroughly check the small of the back and underarms. Squeeze the collar of the shirt etc.

I've yet to see one of these untrained monkeys ever do it properly.

I'll never forget watching one of those idiots almost break my mini-DV camera on the way back from my honeymoon trying to get the tape cover open.

"Hey you've gotta flip the little slide release to get..."

"Sir. Sir. What I'm going to need you to do is step back over there sir. Sir."

5 min later - "Can you come here and show us how to open this."

Security theater and make work jobs program for the otherwise unemployable (and untrainable).

To paraphrase Adam Carolla:
"At what point did we decide it would be a good idea to let ourselves be held hostage by a bunch of surly, barely above minimum wage functional retards with chips on their shoulders."

Originally Posted By: Al
As I have said the last time this came up. Concern about the radiation from these scanners is about equal to fear of cell phone radiation when your cell phone is 50 feet away from you.

Anyone who has worked in the radiation field and is truly knowledgeable with the subject lol's at this [censored],

But whatever.

You're not the least bit concerned about how the TSA is blatantly breaking the 4th amendment? What about the news stories about how the DHS/TSA wants to install naked body scanners and do pat downs in other areas, like sports stadiums and malls? You OK with that? OK, maybe the radiation exposure is blown out of proportion. But the argument for what's going on and the US falling into a full on police state IMO has some serious legitimacy!

A person is 4 times more likely to die from a lightning strike than from a terrorist attack.

http://reason.com/archives/2011/09/06/how-scared-of-terrorism-should

Yes, we obviously need protection against terrorism, but we should never give up basic constitutional liberties under guise of safety, especially when the government might theoretically use the guise of safety for ulterior motives; ie to detour and disrupt political disagreement with the government (which is the basis upon which our country was founded!).

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/16/politics/main4949158.shtml

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/ridiculous-dhs-list-you-might-be-domestic-ter

Last edited:
Have not had the pat down or the scan done, and have flown through an air port 3 times now......

Only gone through the metal detector.

Oh, and don't travel with loose change in your carry on, apparantly it messes with the lighting on the conveyor belt machine camera thing when they look through your bags on the belt.

I had brought a big zip loc bag of pennies and nickels back from CA...and they kept rotating the bag, in and out of the machine, finally they were like what is in this bag? It's hard to see in it....I didn't think anything of the change being in there though...but apparantly it was messing up the XRAY or whatever kind of machine they use to browse through your carry ons....

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

You're not the least bit concerned about how the TSA is blatantly breaking the 4th amendment? What about the news stories about how the DHS/TSA wants to install naked body scanners and do pat downs in other areas, like sports stadiums and malls? You OK with that? But the argument for what's going on and the US falling into a full on police state IMO has some serious legitimacy!

Flying is a Government activity from top to bottom. Their rules.

When someone stops you on the street to scan you then worry. In the meantime..its overwhelmingly easier to get CCW a handgun than 30 years ago. You are in the Chicken Little mode.

Quote:
A person is 4 times more likely to die from a lightning strike than from a terrorist attack.

I agree 1000% we have wasted trillions trying to defeat terrorists when most of them are already sitting in Congress.

Quote:
Yes, we obviously need protection against terrorism, but we should never give up basic constitutional liberties under guise of safety, especially when the government might theoretically use the guise of safety for ulterior motives; ie to detour and disrupt political disagreement with the government (which is the basis upon which our country was founded!).

Again..the only downside to the war on terror is the money and bureaucracy we are throwing at it. I certainly feel somewhat as you in this area.

But whatever.

As I said at the start, spending LOTS of hours at synchrotron X-ray sources, Im not terribly concerned with radiation. If I was, I would not be flying, nor using an iphone.

The issue is intrusive radiation that is not well understood, being transmitted AT my body from two directions.

Whose rules? Government's? Doesnt that mean they are OUR rules? And should align with our rights under the Constitution? Where is my presumed guilt? Its all an approach to inconvenience all so that nobody can claim profiling. Thus making us all inconvenienced and all less safe.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Whose rules? Government's? Doesnt that mean they are OUR rules? And should align with our rights under the Constitution? Where is my presumed guilt? Its all an approach to inconvenience all so that nobody can claim profiling. Thus making us all inconvenienced and all less safe.

Show me where in the Constitution or SCOTUS where the TSA (as much as I loathe most government agencies) can not scan you?

Al, they don't have to stop you to scan you, or the inside of your house! They can drive right by and do it.

Black Helicopter much??

Show me where in the Constitution or SCOTUS where the TSA (as much as I loathe most government agencies) can not scan you?

Am I not innocent until proven guilty? Arent I protected against unwarranted search and seizure?

A metal detector is just a look for the presence of metallic objects. This irradiates the body in the interest of doing a touchless search, and if denied, then you get an unwarranted search.

Am I not innocent until proven guilty? Arent I protected against unwarranted search and seizure?

A metal detector is just a look for the presence of metallic objects. This irradiates the body in the interest of doing a touchless search, and if denied, then you get an unwarranted search.

Let me think..you go on an Airplane (voluntary) with the expectation of being search. Then you are surprised that you are??

Al, they don't have to stop you to scan you, or the inside of your house! They can drive right by and do it.

Black Helicopter much??

See, that's the only thing you can counter valid points with! I have a tin foil hat, or I see black helicopters.
spankme2.gif
It doesn't counter the facts at all.

Technology used to keep us safe certainly circumvents the 4th amendment and it is a very slippery slope in the wrong hands.

See, that's the only thing you can counter valid points with! I have a tin foil hat, or I see black helicopters.
spankme2.gif
It doesn't counter the facts at all.

Technology used to keep us safe certainly circumvents the 4th amendment and it is a very slippery slope in the wrong hands.

People have been worrying about these "slippery slopes" for decades...before I went to college. Many make the leap that because there is the ability to use a tool for "good" that the Government will turn it own people.

Now as you know I am one who feels that the Government is incompetent, wasteful and collectively ignorant. They don't have the collective intelligence or resources to go down any slippery slopes except to spend more money by creating more bureaucracy.

The Government possess guns (tool against terrorism)..yet the government doesn't seem to be breaking into houses and shooting innocent citizens.

I worry about real things...the collapse of our society like what is occurring in Greece/Italy. That's what's in our future.

I worry about real things...the collapse of our society like what is occurring in Greece/Italy. That's what's in our future.

Real or not, this IS what's coming our way!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Real or not, this IS what's coming our way!

And if/when it does, they're certainly have the system in place to enact martial law. Infinitely more so than they have in Greece or Italy.

And if/when it does, they're certainly have the system in place to enact martial law. Infinitely more so than they have in Greece or Italy.

if..if...if...if... ad-nausium.

You might have forgotten the fact that U.S. citizens are armed to the hilt. 'They' don't have the manpower to enforce it. And there is the minor thing like the Constitution. Even the Lefties wouldn't go along with it.

Cops/military won't/can't enforce it. It over the top silly.

No-one wil:
1. Take my guns
2. Come into house and try to enforce martial law.

Don't worry. us old guys will protect y ou.
smile.gif

Katrina should have demonstrated to us all that we are but a tick away from craziness.

When it happens it will be quick. We should all fear it.

I'm having a hard time understanding this:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

So, let's dissect it.

"shall not be violated" seems clear
"no warrants shall issue" seems clear too
"probable cause" means what it says
"secure" means just that
"against" not hard to understand either

See how easy it is? It's impossible for thinking individuals to obfuscate the obvious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back