Stupid Airport mm-wave Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I always deny the scan. Of course, after going through the detector and not setting it off, you get a patdown.

Well, apparently they have made it worse. I had a longer, more intrusive patdown than ever before. Terrible. Even got swabbed.

Of course I was clean and clear in every way.

I don't want to be irradiated by something that is "safe". I don't have to fly, I don't have to use a cellphone. But I do have to get irradiated if I don't want to be horribly inconvenienced going through airport security.

If they used passive mm wave, I'd be ok. But it amazes me how the sheeple have forgotten about the radiation (ionizing or not), and intensive patdowns.

I will continue to deny it if asked to go through.

Anyone else?

I deny it every time. I work in the medical field, and am a little paranoid about radiation anyways, since we dont have studies that show effects 40-50 years down the line.

I dont mind the patdown, its intrusive, but as long as its men-men and women-women its fine. I dont want some jerk trying to cop a feel of my wife or mom.

Everyone should go through metal detector, but only the potential criminals/terrorists via profiling should be subject to intensive patdowns and/or scanners.

I'd go through it. If my dad can survive being within 25' of a Nuclear Reactor for months at a time with nothing but a couple inch thick wall of lead between him and it for the better part of 20 years, then I can survive going through the scanner. Do you even have any idea how much radiation you are exposed to when you are on the actual plane itself? The atmosphere is much, much thinner at 39,000 feet, and it doesn't protect you nearly as well. I forget the statistics, but it goes something like an hour on a plane is equal to the amount of radiation you would normally be exposed to in a year, or something.

Last edited:
please show us your calcs nick
smile.gif
the two may not even be comparable.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
What is "getting swabbed"?

Alcohol-laden patches that they wipe you and/or your stuff with to run through a mass spectrometer.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I'd go through it. If my dad can survive being within 25' of a Nuclear Reactor for months at a time with nothing but a couple inch thick wall of lead between him and it for the better part of 20 years, then I can survive going through the scanner. Do you even have any idea how much radiation you are exposed to when you are on the actual plane itself? The atmosphere is much, much thinner at 39,000 feet, and it doesn't protect you nearly as well. I forget the statistics, but it goes something like an hour on a plane is equal to the amount of radiation you would normally be exposed to in a year, or something.

Well, Forrestal was a bit more cognizant of safety than the TSA really is.

And the existence near a nuclear reactor is a choice (unless he was drafted). Furthermore, there are barriers and purposeful barriers, spacing, isolation, etc to separate.

The scanner is purposeful radiation against the body in two directions. Thus my comment if it were passive, it would be OK, as it would merely discern differences in self-radiation.

Given that I run experiments on an x-ray synchrotron from time to time, I'm well aware of radiation and working with/near it.

I'm against irradiation with even minute quantities of purposeful raduliation when I don't/shouldn't need to be.

If these waves can resonate chemical bonds (and don't say they can't, there is tons of work using mm wave for spectroscopy), then there is potential for damage of cells, genetic materials, etc.

No thanks.

The 4th amdt provides protection against such searches. Stand up for your rights. You should have heard the cancer survivor railing against the TSA and that machine at my local airport.

Contrast that with the TSA agent lifting up my 12 year old daughters skirt last year and feeling up there. Right in front of the crowd. Disgusting. I've never been so angry...

Sorry, but that's not right and you instinctively know that. It's not OK, don't convince yourself that it is.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
What is "getting swabbed"?

Alcohol-laden patches that they wipe you and/or your stuff with to run through a mass spectrometer.

Yeah, I got that in Sydney on the way over, and a nice little beagle looking thing went through my carry on...

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The 4th amdt provides protection against such searches. Stand up for your rights. You should have heard the cancer survivor railing against the TSA and that machine at my local airport.

Contrast that with the TSA agent lifting up my 12 year old daughters skirt last year and feeling up there. Right in front of the crowd. Disgusting. I've never been so angry...

Sorry, but that's not right and you instinctively know that. It's not OK, don't convince yourself that it is.

I agree with you on this. There's a line between personal freedom and public security.
But unless we get together as a whole and do something about it, they'll continue with their unreasonable searches.

Originally Posted By: semaj281

I agree with you on this. There's a line between personal freedom and public security.
But unless we get together as a whole and do something about it, they'll continue with their unreasonable searches.

I'll agree on this. That is crossing the line.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: semaj281

I'll agree on this. That is crossing the line.

Yeah, I'll cosign on that as well.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The scanner is purposeful radiation against the body in two directions. Thus my comment if it were passive, it would be OK, as it would merely discern differences in self-radiation.

Given that I run experiments on an x-ray synchrotron from time to time, I'm well aware of radiation and working with/near it.

I'm against irradiation with even minute quantities of purposeful raduliation when I don't/shouldn't need to be.

If these waves can resonate chemical bonds (and don't say they can't, there is tons of work using mm wave for spectroscopy), then there is potential for damage of cells, genetic materials, etc.

No thanks.

I'm totally with you on that one JH and am glad to hear I'm not the only one who refuses to go through every time.

The pat downs are annoying but I'd much rather do that, than be some guniea pig.

I've heard that there is coupling between DNA and the water molecule (in the microwave to mm wave range energy) which is suspected in double strand breakage from non ionizing radiation.

Even aside from the potential health effects, I don't feel it's the right path our society, with women and men completely having their privacy violated in this horrible manner. (And don't get me started in going off about the profiteering.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back