Stick with Top Tier or convenient store gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All gas comes from the same feed pipe, and the tanker trucks put in the additive at the terminal. That tells me that it all has the same gunk in it. Best bet is to add your own additives. 2-cycle at least adds some "stuff" and is dirt cheap, about $.02c a gallon.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
All gas comes from the same feed pipe, and the tanker trucks put in the additive at the terminal. That tells me that it all has the same gunk in it. Best bet is to add your own additives. 2-cycle at least adds some "stuff" and is dirt cheap, about $.02c a gallon.

+1. I'm experimenting with MMO instead right now, but will be returning to tc-w3 soon. Can't prove what it does, but my subjective experience has been worth much more than the 2 cent/gallon price tag.

-Spyder

In the new Equinox 2.4L engines there is a problem with them sounding like a diesel engine a bit after a few thousand miles of being new. Some people are also getting a knocking sound, and a loud clicking sound (clicking is the fuel pump due to the direct injection). I am not convinced the dieseling is a "problem", but I was experiencing it. I was also experiencing the loud clicking, and a bit of the knocking under acceleration.

So a few months ago I started putting only premium Shell into it (not any other convenient Top Tier stations around - man I miss the days of living near to a Kwik Trip, could also get 89 for the same price as 87 there). After a tank the "dieseling" started to go away, and the ticking is greatly reduced. Knocking is gone (I wonder if they programmed the knock sensors wrong for 87 in an effort to get the max fuel economy). Engine in general just runs smoother.

I've been noticing my wife has been going to a Thorntons station a lot lately because it is convenient for her. They have a guarantee that they'll pay for gas related problems, but of course it would be nearly impossible to prove their gas caused a specific problem. Recently I've been telling her to go to the Shell an extra block away. If there has been any difference, she wouldn't notice. And I don't drive it enough to know if it is making a difference or not.

I use fuel system cleaners in both regularly. Usually Valvoline. Might try Techron when I'm out of my stock of Valvoline ones.

Ive got the exact same problem myself. I only buy gas from 2 places. Costco which is an E10 and Chevron. I save sooo much money buying gas every month at Costco, so its hard to keep buying top teir from Chevron. I know that the ethanol has really good cleaning properties and does that make up for the Techron detergents? Not sure but I do run my cars with injector cleaners very often so that also makes up for a lot. Id say get the cheap stuff and use cleaners once in a while. All gas is legally required to have detergents so how much better is Techron or V-Power? Nobody really knows.

Regarding those of you who use fuel system cleaners in conjuction with the gas you buy. Is it not cheaper to just use a top-tier brand vs using discount gas with fuel cleaners you add in yourself? I know for one, the techron you can buy at Auto Zone is expensive...and so are many others.

When you portion it out, adding something like Techron in small quantities is not cost-effective compared to a few cents more for TT gas.

It might just be a local thing, but I NEVER see branded fuel tanker trucks (except Suncoast which seems to serve all the Valeros and a few independants)

Makes me wonder how much different the gas at Shell or Chevron really is. I mean the trucks could have just filled the tanks at Moe's Falafal and Sip down the street from Chevron. Could be the same gas. You probably wouldn't know because the tanker is just plain silver.

I never get that close to see if there is some small branding on the trailer. I never fill up from a tank that is being filled. I read somewhere it stirs up all the sediment in the holding tank.

Are you seeing those top-tier trucks fueling there, if so don't many companies add their adddative pack at the station they fill. If so then they most likely would only add it at their branded stations, i.e. chevron, shell, BP, etc... Stations can say guaranteed 100% since they know most people won't bother to prove what caused a problem or realize it.

I do think I've seen a Quik Trip branded truck.

The Shell and Chevron trucks are conspicuously void of any markings.

I haven't seen a BP in over a year. I think they are all Valeros here.

The adds are specific to the brand. In fact the driver uses a key to dispense the appropriate product as the tanker is filled. I do believe that branded gas is better UNLESS you tweek the generic with your own adds or have an engine that it doesn't matter.

I buy the lowest price gas, brand or no brand, the only two names I don't buy from: Arco because they don't accept credit cards and Citgo for personal reason.

From my personal experience with various brands (and no brand names), I can say that I didn't detect any difference even at speed over 100MPH. My E430 engine was very smooth with any premium gas at triple digits MPH and it passed all smog tests so far. Why should I pay more for no better performance ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I buy the lowest price gas, brand or no brand, the only two names I don't buy from: Arco because they don't accept credit cards and Citgo for personal reason.

From my personal experience with various brands (and no brand names), I can say that I didn't detect any difference even at speed over 100MPH. My E430 engine was very smooth with any premium gas at triple digits MPH and it passed all smog tests so far. Why should I pay more for no better performance ?

I 2nd this post. I'm not an idiot so I will not fall into that top tier marketing fad. I've even put unbranded gas in my gas and nada happened. So all I do now is put THE cheapest gas I can find in there and add my own cleaning agent when needed. ALL base gas is the same, it's the additives that makes the difference (which are added in very small amounts).

I saw some unknown brand carrier truck replenishing the tanks of neighborhood Mobil. I had never heard of that name before. It was something started with "A" and sounded like Native Indian but do not remember exact name. I tried few variants on Google but no hits.

I doubt that Mobil uses unbranded carriers to deliver their gasoline. I definitely recall seeing Mobil tankers at other Mobil stations.

- Vikas

I use the same Quik Trip every time and save the receipts. If I get any concentration of ethanol greater than 10% and it destroys my fuel system, I'll see if their "Guaranteed Gasoline" is really guaranteed.

Besides, QT is the same price or less than any other discount station and is a Top Tier gasoline.

I'm not buying that "nitrogen enriched" Shell nonsense. 78% of the atmosphere is nitrogen anyway so you are getting plenty of nitrogen in your a/f mix and I just don't see how adding an inert gas is going to do anything but cause a reduction in the availiable energy of the fuel.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
......All gas is legally required to have detergents so how much better is Techron or V-Power? Nobody really knows.

According to Shells posted statements, Shell V Power premium has five times the federally mandated level of detergents. Regular and mid grades are represented as having twice the EPA mandated detergent levels.

You can be sure that the generic gas has the minimum. Repeating what Fuel Tanker Man said, a long time ago, you could buy generic gas and get a name brand product because what generics got was often overrun from a major refinery. Now, with the terminal blending, a batch destined to go to a generic station gets the minimum additives...."custom". A question is that does the generic (chain) just buy their additives from a major, like Sunoco?

After thinking about it, I will likely stay with major name brands because of my vehicle's needs.

Gas is gas. IMO, the no-name station cost less because they don't have ads to throw on TV, billboards, radio, etc. I get 40mpg on the Civic with no-name and the SAME with major brands.

Gas is gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back