Stick with Top Tier or convenient store gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my area we have a convenient store chain by the name of Qik N EZ. Yeah...how I like my women..LOL Anyway, over all my years of driving, I have only evered used name brand ie, BP, Shell, etc.. This chain store near me says they guarantee their gas 100%. I'm very picky about this typically because I like to know my vehicle is getting a "top tier" dosage of detergents. I know all gas is the same, but I also know they are different due to the variations in additives. It's 2010, is there really any gasoline that will dirty fuel injectors and intake valves with the current standards that fuel suppliers are held to? Can I rest assured that my precious Dodge Caravan will not hickup once on this stuff?

Originally Posted By: Mark72
Can I rest assured that my precious Dodge Caravan will not hickup once on this stuff?

There's only one way to find out - try it and see for yourself.

If the gasoline has weaker add pack, just run a bottle of Techron Concentrate in your tank once every 3-5k miles to keep the deposit buildup in check.

Personally, I'd worry about traffic at this gas station more than anything else. If they get a lot of traffic, this means you're getting relatively fresh gas as opposed to something that's been sitting in their tanks for months.

Last edited:
This place gets VERY high traffic...all day long, every day. It is on a major intersection in my town of 100,000 people and we have many brand name stations as well. So I'm certain the fuel is fresh all the time. I see the tanker truck unloading often as I drive by this place on my way to work. Sometimes, it's just that I get this itch to try it because it is so conventient, and so quick and easy :) to get to. But yes, I'm hesitant as I've always used what I have trusted all these years and never once had a fuel related problem.

Some convienience stores sell top-tier gas. I buy Exxon(top-tier) from Uni-Mart on my way into town. When I'm on a trip I go out of my way to find a Shell. My second choice is Chevron(both top-tier gasolines).

Personally I usually prefer to just use a top tier gasoline to start with so I don't have to buy techron or Seafoam. In my area the top tiers (Chevron, Shell) are usually within about 3 cents a gallon of the no name brands.

Though I don't always practice what I preach. I recently started using a convenience station close to my house. It's about 3 blocks away and 5 cents a gallon cheaper.
Well, my Chev. developed a "cold carbon knock" after only a couple of tanks. Last fillup I went back to Chevron and the noise is slowly going away. I should have known better.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
Some convienience stores sell top-tier gas. I buy Exxon(top-tier) from Uni-Mart on my way into town. When I'm on a trip I go out of my way to find a Shell. My second choice is Chevron(both top-tier gasolines).

I see what you are saying, but just because your "mini mart" is purchasing gasoline from Exxon, it doesn't mean that it is top tier. A lesser, or different additive package is likely sold to the Mini Mart you go to which is likely the case for all of the smaller convenient stores.

Last edited:
I'll pay 2-3 cents a gallon more for Top Tier, but that's about it.

What exactly does it mean that they guarantee their gas 100%?
Sounds like a promise with very little to back it up.

Not sure...the supplier that also ownes the convenient store is called Chronister Oil. Google it if you like. They are a small outfit, but seem to be legit people. Perhaps they are small enought that if you actually did have a fuel related issue it would be easier to get hold of them. ? Just a thought.

If the company moves a lot of gas, then I would buy there.

The only place I won't buy gas is those stations that have little business, and old equipment. It means that they may not be keeping up on tanks/filters and other maintenance.

Me,I can`t tell any difference in the way my car runs no matter what brand of gas I`ve used. Only thing I find is imperative is just to be sure and stick to the recommended octane rating.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
In my area we have a convenient store chain by the name of Qik N EZ. Yeah...how I like my women..LOL Anyway, over all my years of driving, I have only evered used name brand ie, BP, Shell, etc.. This chain store near me says they guarantee their gas 100%. I'm very picky about this typically because I like to know my vehicle is getting a "top tier" dosage of detergents. I know all gas is the same, but I also know they are different due to the variations in additives. It's 2010, is there really any gasoline that will dirty fuel injectors and intake valves with the current standards that fuel suppliers are held to? Can I rest assured that my precious Dodge Caravan will not hickup once on this stuff?

You'll never know if its any good or not until you try it. If they move a lot of fuel, it probably is fine. If your vehicle doesn't like it, don't go back.

Top Tier in my area means Shell , Chevron , Texico and Quick Trip . Auto parts stores are now running Techron buy one - get one free ...I add an ounce in along with my cocktail of TCW3 , UCL and occasional MMO every other tank of gas and don't worry about it after that .

My Caravan sees plenty of discount gas. Before filling, I just toss in an ounce of Regane or Techron per tank and my TC-W3 and call it day.

I used to not care where I got my fuel. For last 12 months, I have made a habit of using only Mobil or Shell in all my vehicles. I am indeed getting better seat of pants experience with those two brands. I have also made it clear to my family that they can not put any off-brand gas.

- Vikas

I have not found buying fuel at a "top tier" supplier to hold any advantages - in fact Ive gotten terrible gas multiple times at top tier Shell station near me (once bitten not shy?! :) NO ONE is policing these staions so I'm sure anything goes in the underground storage tanks, plus ethanol (E10%) content is all over the map here. I just started using a Sunoco on my new path to work and found some good runing 87 there (for now). Funny, I had stopped filling up there a decade ago when they were spiking the premium fuel with MMT (HITEK?) and subsequently killing cats and O2 sensors within 1 tank of the gunk. Its russian roulette out there boys and girls.

Last edited:
I have been buying Exxon-Mobil for over a million miles...On long trips I always look for them...But thankfully there are a ton of them...A friend bought Race Trac gas a few months [from a very busy station] for his Benz and it took 1100 bucks to get the car back on line...He got a tankful of dirt.

Usually stick to the main brands. It has to be a major player. I believe they all *may* contain up to 10% ethanol nowadays, since they all have a sticker saying so. However, I typically fill up with 89 Octane gas for the same price as 87 at MacEwen here in Ontario.

Prices are the same here due to fuel pricing regulatory board, so I just stick with Esso (top tier) and collect the points with my Extra card.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I have not found buying fuel at a "top tier" supplier to hold any advantages - in fact Ive gotten terrible gas multiple times at top tier Shell station near me (once bitten not shy?! :) NO ONE is policing these staions so I'm sure anything goes in the underground storage tanks, plus ethanol (E10%) content is all over the map here. I just started using a Sunoco on my new path to work and found some good runing 87 there (for now). Funny, I had stopped filling up there a decade ago when they were spiking the premium fuel with MMT (HITEK?) and subsequently killing cats and O2 sensors within 1 tank of the gunk. Its russian roulette out there boys and girls.

I agree, top tier seems to be a marketing thing more than anything else. How's this idea.. I think that you are getting pretty much the same fuel at any station, so long as the tanks are kept up and the filters are changed. The rest is just marketing.

I have had one gas related problem in my 13 years of driving, it was at a no tax Indian reservation gas station, after a flood in the area.

People should just keep up on changing fuel filters in their car, and worry less about the brand of gas they use. I know that some cars are picky about gas, but the ones that aren't clearly can run on anything.

I have been buying Mobil for the past 3 years, since it is a clean and nice station right near my house. Recently they have been rated as top tier, there is no mention of this at the store, no signage nothing.

The same truck delivers fuel to the mobil, then goes to the quik and easy mart a block away, and to every other gas station in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back