New Top Tier gas station in my area

There are dozens of opportunities to hear about TT fuel … written articles, owners manuals, magazines, TV programs, auto club, YouTube etc … Sure, many are not aware but in some places it’s hard to not get TT, know it or not.
Where I live we have Exxon, Shell, P66, Chevron, Citgo, Sunoco, and Valero … all good !
Had a discussion with my sister on extras a service dept tried to sell her. Included was an engine carbon cleaning, on a 2019 port injected Jeep with less than 20,000 miles.
Got into where she fuels and top tier gasoline benefits etc.

Basically clueless on this. And she was head of infectious control at a hospital before retiring recently.

As was my brother, included in same conversation.

Reactions: 4WD
A couple new Amoco stations have popped up in Indiana (see article below that's a couple years old). In Eastern Pennsylvania, south of I-80, Rutter's stores have as good, if not better, coffee as Sheetz and WaWa, and Top Tier fuels.

Last edited:
The billboard in Pat's post LOOKS LIKE it could possibly get some people to buy TT fuel.
A "no name" station near me (1 of 12 owned by a small fuel distributor) went TT and charges outlandish prices.
A teeny Sunoco station on a nearby main road charges less.
Though they dropped the TT fee, isn't Sunoco still effectively TT ?
Shell, ExMo and Amoco are unbelievably high.
A Valero station in Emerson, NJ now has Sunoco pumps.
I swear, the only constant is the growing number of "Delta" stations. They revamp old stations from the tanks up.
There's no rhyme nor reason to it. The premium pricing structure doesn't seem constant across the country either.
Thanks for the info on Sheetz restrooms but traversing Pennsylvania on county roads would take a long time.

Last edited:
Kira- I would agree with you that Sunoco is still effectively a TT quality fuel. Before TT was even a thing, Sunoco always marketed their fuels as having a high quality detergent package. IIRC I think they were late to the TT game and only stayed in it for a few years. FWIW, Sunoco still markets their fuel as “Top Tier” on their website, even though the TT website doesn’t list Sunoco.

A couple new Amoco stations have popped up in Indiana (see article below that's a couple years old). In Eastern Pennsylvania, south of I-80, Rutter's stores have as good, if not better, coffee as Sheetz and WaWa, and Top Tier fuels.

Growing up near the Whiting (IN) refinery, seeing the Amoco name come back is a nice blast from the past.

My first clue was a completely new Amoco station being built on my way to work. Right around that time, I also saw a former Shell station near my house start carrying the Amoco torch.

Kira- I would agree with you that Sunoco is still effectively a TT quality fuel. Before TT was even a thing, Sunoco always marketed their fuels as having a high quality detergent package. IIRC I think they were late to the TT game and only stayed in it for a few years. FWIW, Sunoco still markets their fuel as “Top Tier” on their website, even though the TT website doesn’t list Sunoco.
Sunoco for some reason always gives me worse mpg in everything.
But no hard starts or rough idle

Sunoco for some reason always gives me worse mpg in everything.
But no hard starts or rough idle
Funny you said that, Chevron gives me the worst gas mileage 😂. I always assumed the fuels with more cleansing agents returned worse mpg. I know when I use Techron fuel system cleaner or Gumout, etc. my fuel mileage suffers.

My best gas mileage is always with Pilot/Flying J, Love’s for whatever reason lol.

I'm all for trying different brands of fuel to compare any mileage differences as Zee09 and stower17 mention but average drivers like us would have to precisely schedule fuel use and fill-ups to get "data useful" 100% single brand tankfuls.

Everyone's particulars would differ. I tally my mileage monthly (bimonthly for the truck). I'd need a month to finish burning Brand A while refueling with Brand B so I could have a tank of 100% Brand B. My tests would cross over seasons.

If you drive less than 25,000 miles a year you'd have to run your tank down pretty low to get anything near single brand tankfuls in a timely manner. I, for one, don't like running her down that low.

If I drove a lot, I'd be the BITOGer posting mpg differences among oils, auto trannie fluids and car waxes.

Because 99% of drivers have no idea what Top Tier gasoline is the same as not having a clue what oil is in their car.
I've been driving for many decades, and it was only after I signed onto BITOG a couple of years ago that I first heard of the term top tier as it relates to fuel. Still not sure what the difference between top tier and non-top tier but I'll buy into the fact that it is different, and preferred by many of the posters on this site. I do find this site very interesting and follow it all the time.

Also, to maintain my membership in the 99% group, I do not know which oil is in my car. I trust those folks who put it there, and have never had any engine problems remotely related to the oil of fuel that I use over the decades. Maybe just lucky, I would guess.

Very cool to see. Amoco Ultimate used to be THE gas to buy for people who cared about their fuel injectors. The gas was crystal clear, compared to the pink gas you'd see at the local Mini Mart or Maverick (Wyoming).

Back