Traveling and can't always fill up with Top Tier Fuel

I probably should have said picky, rather than moody.

What I mean is that it doesn't like 87 octane even though the manual says that is what to use. It pings, gas mileage goes down, seems to stutter a bit, etc...... With that being the case if I put 89 or higher in it, it does fine, so I fill up with 89. Even then I have noticed that on certain brands it doesn't seem to perform as well. Marathon and Shell have never been an issue, but for some reason it doesn't like gas from the Mobil or BP stations around here. It does fine with Meijer gas as long as I use 91 instead of their 89, which seems odd to me, but such is life. Those are the three brands I use when we are at home, and try to use while traveling, sometimes though I just don't have the option of a major brand and that is what makes me a bit nervous about this trip in her Taos. Except for the bad gas incidents, my Toyota will run on anything and doesn't seem to care what octane or brand. I'm fairly certain I could fill it up with Vodka, and Red Bull and it would motor on down the road without an issue, but her VW is a different story.
“Picky”, but you say that’s driving around town. Highway cruising at part throttle is the time when the engine has about the LOWEST octane requirement. You won’t hear any ‘ping’ rolling along on cruise @ 65 MPH with a tank of non top tier. My LS V8 “may” use 87 octane and that’s what it gets on interstate road trips.

UpNorthSooner, Have you had the base timing checked? Maybe it wasn't set right from the factory.

I have not. I will have to take it to the dealer and have it checked. Issue is the dealer is 60ish miles away.

Some stations/brands claim that their higher octane is also higher quality, i.e. add'l detergents, additives, etc. I think it's Shell or Sunoco, whoever sells "V-Power" or the same with BP's fuel, I think.

Not if it's Top Tier. ALL grades/octane levels MUST meet the same standard if they are to be Top Tier. Shell is Top Tier....so ALL grades meet the same standard. BP is no longer TT.

i always wondered how many times do top tier stations get filled with non top tier stuff or regular gasoline gets mixed in with premium?

Yes, compliance checks are a thing, but as with everything these days, folks gonna do shady things.

i always wondered how many times do top tier stations get filled with non top tier stuff or regular gasoline gets mixed in with premium?

Yes, compliance checks are a thing, but as with everything these days, folks gonna do shady things.
It is an honor system. Stations have been caught selling 87-89 octane fuel as premium (91-93) so it's not unheard of.

States have requirements for quality of the gas.Mom and Pops gas comes out of the same terminal.When the driver punches in the code for unbranded fuel, thats what he gets.TT,Shell or BP gets their own special additive blended at the terminal while filling up the big tanker.I was a gas hauler,one time I bombed a load,the computer knew the Shell additive didn't get put in.My bills said report to the office. The terminal personel manually added the additive thru the top,probably less than a quart to 8,500 of 87e.I now had an official Shell load with their additive package.You can argue all day about who's additive package is better,TT gas has more additive added to whatever gas your state has set for minimum requirements. Your states protect the consumer.I would worry more about the volume the stationsells.Pumps also have filters on them,don t worry ,crap won't get thru.The stations big underground tanks have sensors built in that keeps track of inches of water in bottom of tank.If it gets bad,good owners wait till the tank gets low and they have the tank sucked out.Keep this simple,your being protected

I try to put Exxon or Shell in every tank, then other major brands, but sometimes when you travel there just isn't a name brand around. No big deal. It's not something that will cause immediate failure.

I would do Techron every so often if you are worried about it.

I'm not sure what you guys mean by Top Tier marketing. I bet I could ask 100 people and not 1 would know what TT gas even is. Heck, the gas station I use regularly is an Exxon station and they have no stickers on the pumps mentioning TT.

I would do Techron every so often if you are worried about it.

I'm not sure what you guys mean by Top Tier marketing. I bet I could ask 100 people and not 1 would know what TT gas even is. Heck, the gas station I use regularly is an Exxon station and they have no stickers on the pumps mentioning TT.
Your correct,the pump should be marked if its TT.As I tried to explain in my previous post,the brand is added at the terminal,at a highly concentrated dose.When the gas comes up the big pipe from the refinery it is unbranded,but to minimum state requirements for gas.Mom and Pops takes it like that,no special additive, hence lower price.Exxon adds some of their additive,their brand.TT is a higher ratios of additive,considered the best gas.TT. Shell gas has their secret formula for additive at a higher dose.BP.Quick Trip,or who ever,stickers their pump,you know they have a higher dose of their secret additive,so the basic gas coming up the pipe line,'Meets State Requirements 'The marketing takes over and you as a consumer are protected at Moms,or you can move up the ladder.Its what you believe ,and marketing does make a difference. For a few cents per gallon more,than Moms,the previous poster uses a great gas Exxon,with more additive.You can go across the street,get TT.at a higher dose and price.The choice is yours,if your still worried,I'm not,buy some additive!!!!

Long time reader, first time poster so be gentle. :)

My wife and I will be taking an approximately 5200 mile trip soon in her 2023 VW Taos. This will be the first road trip of any distance for this vehicle as it is normally her gym-mobile, grocery getter, etc..... Close to home filling up with Top Tier gas is not an issue, however when we are on the road we can't always fill up with Top Tier so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to use an additive every other tank or so while on the trip. If we were driving my Toyota I wouldn't be as concerned, but this Taos is a moody gal about fuel, especially 87 octane fuels, so I tend to always go higher octane and try to stick with either Marathon or Shell since it seems to like those brands a bit better. Again though, while traveling I can't always get a Top Tier brand so I thought about doing the additive thing in the Taos for this trip. What are everyone's thoughts on my every other tank additive plan?

As an FYI I have used Techron Complete for years now in all manner of vehicles just before an oil change, so that is likely what I would use on this trip. That said I don't currently have any on hand, and have read good things about both Redline SI-1 and Royal Purple Max Clean so I wanted to get some opinions on those products as well since I might be using something on this trip.

Thanks for your feedback!
Where are you traveling that you can't find a Conoco, Holiday, Shell, Mobil, Exxon, Arco, BP, Costco, Chevron, Cenex, etc. etc. etc.

We road trip a couple thousand across the country most years to visit family and friends in the summer and I've never had issues. I also don't worry about a tank of brand name, but not Top Tier, fuel if the bathrooms are nicer.

Even random back road driving "for scenery" it's hard NOT to find Top-Tier.

Edit: someone mentioned BP isn't TT any more. But you get the drift. I just checked the website and there are more brands than the last time I checked many months or years ago it seems.

Last edited:
You could buy a bottle of Redline SL-1 and add maintenance dosing of 1.5 oz to 2.0 oz. per fill up to the gas tank first .

Premium gas does not mean you are getting top tier. Top Tier is about the cleaning additives in the gas NOT octane. You have to buy gas from a top tier source to get it regardless of octane.
I’m still not changing my opinion on “top tier” fuel. I’ve found no advantage of using it.

The government has mandated all ALL gasoline sold in the USA has a specific amount of cleaner in it. So I see no problems if you don't have access to top-tier. Sometimes we imagine problems and keep looking for a solution. JM. Ed

Back