Sorry, can't help but laugh a little...

I imagine older people like myself get greater pleasure indulging in griping. I hesitate to criticize others to avoid invoking bad Karma upon myself, but................

I found this the most disturbing about the article: "Part of the problem is GPS giving inexperienced drivers directions down unplowed and remote roads during high traffic wait times or when conditions force freeways to close—a fate locals can usually avoid, Sgt Alexander Sorey, of the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office told KCRA:"

Heavy sigh: I once had a college student get lost riding his bicycle to my work place. 3 miles, very easy N/S, E/W road grid. He was blindly following his GPS with no idea of cardinal directions.

I found this the most disturbing about the article: "Part of the problem is GPS giving inexperienced drivers directions down unplowed and remote roads during high traffic wait times or when conditions force freeways to close—a fate locals can usually avoid, Sgt Alexander Sorey, of the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office told KCRA:"

Heavy sigh: I once had a college student get lost riding his bicycle to my work place. 3 miles, very easy N/S, E/W road grid. He was following his GPS with no idea of cardinal directions.
It seems as though the more people indulge in technology, the more common sense they give up to do it.

I can understand not having to rely on GPS locally but when I would visit clients throughout an entire region or city there was no other option. No one uses maps anymore. It would actually be annoying when someone who wasn't tech literate would give me directions: Go 3 miles down XX highway then turn right at the barn go 2 miles then left at the supermarket and etc. Sir, I have GPS.

Reactions: Pew
It happens, but he had a 4X4 !
A 4X4 has the same brakes as any other vehicle. It has steering just like any other vehicle too.

One of the tricks to driving on snow and ice (or anywhere else really) is to steer and to be able to steer you have to have wheels turning. If you lock up your wheels you will slide. Just ask the 4X4 driver in the video.

A few years ago a man died because he listened to his GPS. It directed him onto an unmaintained snow covered road and he accepted the advice. Eventually he decided to turn back but got stuck. He and his wife had no cell coverage and no way to get their vehicle out. So they ran the engine periodically to keep warm. They eventually ran out of fuel and after a couple of days in the cold he decided to walk out for help. For some reason he headed off cross country.

The lady was eventually found and survived. But he didn't. His body was found the following spring.

So if your GPS advises you to head down some snow covered road don't listen to it. And don't drive off the end of a dock because it tells you to do that either.

Let's face it, some people should just stay home. The classic line in the video at 1:20, "How did this bridge fall through the cracks?"..... I swear, you can't make this stuff up!

Reactions: Pew
Lol. Yeah, that LR person could have released the brakes and wedged himself into the snow bank. I love how these people think the only solution to any situation is to just stamp the brakes. Even after thirty seconds of it not doing anything.

I‘m in Austin and if it ever does snow or ice here, I stay off the roads. Not because I can’t handle it, but because I know very few others can. And don’t forget the special people in their Trump trucks or luxury SUVs that think they are unaffected by the conditions.

"Fundamentals" were lost in grade school years ago.
I would have to assume you either don't have a grade schooler or your observations are skewed from experience with an inadequate teacher?

My 3rd grader has been taught and knows his multiplication tables just fine. My 1st grader is just in the start of them now, but progressing well so far.

Let's face it, some people should just stay home. The classic line in the video at 1:20, "How did this bridge fall through the cracks?"..... I swear, you can't make this stuff up!
Back in the olden days, we relied on our eyes to see obstacles in the road.
These days, if it's not on a smartphone screen, it doesn't exist!

Back