World's Largest Gas Station Opens

These large gas stations-truck stops are a GOOD THING. Our truck stops around here are packed on the weekend. Try to find a open spot is always a challenge late Saturday nite.

We need to be boycotting TA-Travel America, they are charging drivers a fee to park, and are increasing those spots.
How many are parking and not buying gas or food, snacks, etc.? You and I both know it happens. Not defending charging but.....

Last edited:
That number of pumps will never be used at the same time. The whole thing is a marketing gimmick.
The one in Crossville TN (which isn't anything like Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg for numbers of tourist via automobile) about a month ago on a Sunday afternoon, 100 pumps had cars. I had to wait to get to a pump. So, I believe that there will be many times when all 125 pumps will be full. And the gas price at this location is $2.87 regular.

The brisket sandwich was ho-hum IMO, a little too fatty and not as tender as what I've found in Texas, but it was decent for gas-station fare. My buddy had that and the burrito, and aside from the gastronomical distress he experienced, said they were both delicious. And store made by local employees.

Considering that a GAS STATION advertises that they will pay $150-225k for a store GM, why exactly again are we pushing EVs that will never generate the kind of revenue that a Buc-ee's will because they use Tesla self-service PowerChargers with no employees required??

Put chargers in. People will stop for food. I don’t sit in the car to charge. I get something to eat or bare minimum, something to drink.

You guys should support local small businesses and buy gas from a mom & pop gas station.

View attachment 164667
Except it is a pain in the rear to get 50 feet of truck and trailer into those local gas stations.

I usually pick the biggest station I can find when we're on the road with the camper. The smaller stations are only used in emergencies. It's just easier.

And yea, we always stop at the Buc-ee's on 75 south outside of Macon when we're down that way. Their food is pretty good for 'gas station' food.

the Buc-ee's on 75 south outside of Macon

That's me about a year ago, around midnight, before the run thru Atlanta. Wasn't bad at all at 1:30 AM. Taking my Travel Trailer to my property in TN.
buccee.jpg

After more photos and watching some of the videos, I simply must say on the Fourth of July........
Big fuel stops on highways are nothing new. That they are "expanding" coincident with the addition of charging stations etc. isn't surprising.
However, after seeing the rafts of cheap junk and cheap junk food for sale I gotta say -and yes, this is judgmental- retail excess is not where we need to go as a country.

I know, I know I'm free to not buy and others might need their wares etc. etc. but come on, demand a little craftiness or originality from locations you romanticize.

Three cheers for ice cream cones and road food but any of the other garbage sold there will be removed and replaced with stuff which does sell. You can't praise well monied people who throw junk products at you.

Think ahead and pack a lunch for heaven's sake.

I watched a fine looking, young truck driver patiently overseeing a hacking, coughing, wheezing slob assembling a pizza in a gas station during the peak of a recent pandemic. Man, you gotta be more involved.

The "plush toys" offered are particularly insulting. Micsydn (Mic-CY-'den) stands for Made In China Stuff You Don't Need.

Sorry if I offended anyone's "culture" but try aiming a little higher. Spend you 'hard earned money' smarter.
The natural repetition (boredom?) or driving shouldn't be displaced by worthless distractions and destructive foodstuffs.

Anyone remember Wall Drug out West? It was the same thing, only smaller and way less obnoxious.

Rant over. Pyro-proof flame suit on. Happy Fourth. Hugs and Kisses.

After more photos and watching some of the videos, I simply must say on the Fourth of July........
Big fuel stops on highways are nothing new. That they are "expanding" coincident with the addition of charging stations etc. isn't surprising.
However, after seeing the rafts of cheap junk and cheap junk food for sale I gotta say -and yes, this is judgmental- retail excess is not where we need to go as a country.

I know, I know I'm free to not buy and others might need their wares etc. etc. but come on, demand a little craftiness or originality from locations you romanticize.

Three cheers for ice cream cones and road food but any of the other garbage sold there will be removed and replaced with stuff which does sell. You can't praise well monied people who throw junk products at you.

Think ahead and pack a lunch for heaven's sake.

I watched a fine looking, young truck driver patiently overseeing a hacking, coughing, wheezing slob assembling a pizza in a gas station during the peak of a recent pandemic. Man, you gotta be more involved.

The "plush toys" offered are particularly insulting. Micsydn (Mic-CY-'den) stands for Made In China Stuff You Don't Need.

Sorry if I offended anyone's "culture" but try aiming a little higher. Spend you 'hard earned money' smarter.
The natural repetition (boredom?) or driving shouldn't be displaced by worthless distractions and destructive foodstuffs.

Anyone remember Wall Drug out West? It was the same thing, only smaller and way less obnoxious.

Rant over. Pyro-proof flame suit on. Happy Fourth. Hugs and Kisses.
I pretty much agree with everything you've said. Remember what H. L. Mencken said: Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American people.

As for Wall Drug, I've been there on my way to The Badlands some years ago. You write of it in the past tense. Is the operation defunct?

I haven't any knowledge of Wall Drug's current state.
During my big Bicentennial XC trip, we too went to the Badlands and saw the WD billboards.

Last edited:
Back