World's Largest Gas Station Opens

That number of pumps will never be used at the same time. The whole thing is a marketing gimmick.
You'd be surprised. I just went to this nearly-new Buc-ee's with 120 pumps as well, and I would honestly say less than 15 of them were empty. I had to drive nearly a 1/4 mile down the line of pumps to find one that was open.

My friend that was riding along at the time, and a Buc-ee's regular, said that while the pumps were busy as usual, the parking lot and overall store load were quite light. He says it's tradition for many who live around Buc-ee's to load up the family on a Saturday and make a trip in, just for the heck of it. 🤷‍♀️

That number of pumps will never be used at the same time. The whole thing is a marketing gimmick.
And what result is that marketing gimmick supposed to, or intended to, produce?\

I've been to the Iowa 80 truckstop (billed as the World's Largest Truckstop) near Walcott and that place was incredibly busy when I stopped there last year.

Here's a well-known photo taken at Iowa 80, a similar operation to Buc-ee's. Somewhat busy, don'tcha think?
Sometimes one of the Classic Truck Clubs has an outing, as I believe was the case here ...

1688406695695.jpeg

Last edited:
At the Buc-cees I've been to, on the weekends you have to search for a pump. Here's why: People leave their car at the pump while inside using the restrooms and shopping. Right or wrong, that's what happens.
That is a major rookie move, with with a big rig at a truck stop. Imagine filling up 300 gallons, then going inside to look for a new stripper mudflap.

You'd be surprised. I just went to this nearly-new Buc-ee's with 120 pumps as well, and I would honestly say less than 15 of them were empty. I had to drive nearly a 1/4 mile down the line of pumps to find one that was open.

My friend that was riding along at the time, and a Buc-ee's regular, said that while the pumps were busy as usual, the parking lot and overall store load were quite light. He says it's tradition for many who live around Buc-ee's to load up the family on a Saturday and make a trip in, just for the heck of it. 🤷‍♀️
Places like these have often become destinations unto themselves.

Can you imagine if it were in New Jersey where gas is only full service (except diesel)? It could possibly take 4 hours to buy gasoline (isn't OR also full service). They would likely boost the number of staff and have about 10 attendants.

First I've heard of this chain. Maybe Virginia or Maryland isn't the south?
I've certainly heard of them and have visited a couple in my travels.

Buc-ee's is an American chain of country stores, gas stations, and electric vehicle chargers created and owned by Arch "Beaver" Aplin III, headquartered in Lake Jackson, Texas. The chain was first founded in 1982 in Clute, Texas and began expansion with its first travel center in Luling, Texas in 2003. The company began expanding outside of Texas in 2018 with the opening of a location in Baldwin County, Alabama, and has since opened locations in Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Tennessee, with new locations planned for other areas, including Colorado, Missouri, Virginia, and Wisconsin, if they're not already there.

The chain is well known for the large size of its locations, alongside its product offerings of fuel, snacks, brisket, baked goods and commodities, tacos, fresh sandwiches, souvenirs, and travel items. The chain has also become well known for the cleanliness of its bathrooms, its mascot, and the company's prohibition of 18-wheelers at their locations.

I've certainly heard of them and have visited a couple in my travels.

Buc-ee's is an American chain of country stores, gas stations, and electric vehicle chargers created and owned by Arch "Beaver" Aplin III, headquartered in Lake Jackson, Texas. The chain was first founded in 1982 in Clute, Texas and began expansion with its first travel center in Luling, Texas in 2003. The company began expanding outside of Texas in 2018 with the opening of a location in Baldwin County, Alabama, and has since opened locations in Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Tennessee, with new locations planned for other areas, including Colorado, Missouri, Virginia, and Wisconsin, if they're not already there.

The chain is well known for the large size of its locations, alongside its product offerings of fuel, snacks, brisket, baked goods and commodities, tacos, fresh sandwiches, souvenirs, and travel items. The chain has also become well known for the cleanliness of its bathrooms, its mascot, and the company's prohibition of 18-wheelers at their locations.
The brisket sandwich was ho-hum IMO, a little too fatty and not as tender as what I've found in Texas, but it was decent for gas-station fare. My buddy had that and the burrito, and aside from the gastronomical distress he experienced, said they were both delicious. And store made by local employees.

Considering that a GAS STATION advertises that they will pay $150-225k for a store GM, why exactly again are we pushing EVs that will never generate the kind of revenue that a Buc-ee's will because they use Tesla self-service PowerChargers with no employees required??

The brisket sandwich was ho-hum IMO, a little too fatty and not as tender as what I've found in Texas, but it was decent for gas-station fare. My buddy had that and the burrito, and aside from the gastronomical distress he experienced, said they were both delicious. And store made by local employees.

Considering that a GAS STATION advertises that they will pay $150-225k for a store GM, why exactly again are we pushing EVs that will never generate the kind of revenue that a Buc-ee's will because they use Tesla self-service PowerChargers with no employees required??
I actually think that you'll see this concept increase along the highways with the advent of more and more EV's.... if you have to stop and charge up, you're going to be there for 30 min at least... might as well have a giant convenince store to stop and shop while the car is charging.... as long as they have an appropriately growing number of EVSE's at said stations.

Tesla is developing, and already has, supercharging services with other amenities. Often they are tied into existing businesses, but some are being developed as Tesla-operated entities. As @earlre noted, this will happen first in areas with greater EV traffic, and that traffic is clearly evident on the I5 and I80 corridors through California. I was stunned to see the number of Teslas on I80 (and to a lesser extent Rivians and Lucids) on my recent trip to Nevada. EV use is expanding and businesses of various sorts will capitalize on that. I have seen the beginnings of that in Montana, Oregon, and Washington.

There are many people here, and out in the world, who only see what exists or what has been, and fail to perceive what can be. Boys and girls, the world is changing, and it's not just the use of EV vehicles but all the technology and commerce that is developing around them. Frankly, from what I've seen, it's moving faster than I expected.

Back