World's Largest Gas Station Opens

My cruise director now plans our road trip vacations around where the Buc-ees are. First time was at the one in Bastrop TX. while visiting family. I was thinking dear lord, some theme park style gas station. Just what I want to see. They DO make things big in Texas, but this place, geez. First, couldn't park almost anywhere, all pump stations were full, tried to dodge all the Grizwald families just meandering through the lots, and got hit with an iconic 50's style logo of a beaver. Everywhere. Walk inside and it's like Cracker Barrel had a trailer park love child with a gas station. They had every imaginable piece of nonsense for sale including furniture. "Hey Walt, I'm sure we can fit this dining room table on the roof". Food was ok, brisket was decent. Momma came almost exclusively for the frozen Dr. Pepper and got 64oz. of it. Wouldn't stop talking for three days. Bought some of their beef jerky and Beaver Nuggets. Jerky was good, but expensive for what ya get. But those nuggets. I'm now like a crack head when any are around. Love those things and have found exact same thing made by Utz in a local convenience store here. Nirvana. Super clean with very nice and attentive staff makes it all palatable. Punctuated a few trips to Florida with stops in Daytona Beach and St. Augustine. Back-doored Pensacola with out of the way stops in Auburn and Loxley AL. just to see the GD beaver. Probably gonna stop in Sevierville on the way to Gatlinburg in the spring though, and at any other ones within 100 miles on any of our subsequent road trips. Can't wait. I did however get a Buc-ee's seat cushion that I'm currently sitting on. Can't help but giggle a bit everytime I fart on the little grinning beaver boy.
Jerky is getting more popular and the prices show it - small smokehouses have popped up (we have one) just to supply them …
If you pass through Sealy TX (on I-10) … stop at Prasek’s Smokehouse
Classier place with better foods - clean as well …

Back