World's Largest Gas Station Opens

I haven't any knowledge of Wall Drugs current state.
During my big Bicentennial XC trip, we too went to the Badlands and saw the WD billboards.
Wall Drug is still open and functioning. My family was there about five years ago, and ate lunch at their restaurant cafe. Food was decent. The current generation of owners have improved it, as compared to our first visit in 1974.

And my wife just reminded me of "South of the Border".
Same thing...lots of billboards along the road. What did she find? A teepee which sold firecrackers.

Both WD and SotB had bumper stickers Today it'd be camp.

I have a "Got Dip Dogs" bumper sticker I'm seriously considering putting on my car. They're north of Abington, VA and I recommend them IF you're nearby. No corn dog is worth a 1,000 mile drive.

That number of pumps will never be used at the same time. The whole thing is a marketing gimmick.
Have you ever been to a Bucee's? There is a new one near me on the interstate that has about a 100 pumps and is always jam packed. The parking lot entrance and exit is a permanent traffic jam taking 5 minutes to enter or exit. They have added overflow parking across the road. The pumps are crowded as well as the store. And their brisket sandwiches are legendary.

Wonder how many tankers they get per day? A slow Costco gets 4-6 tankers a day. A lot of them get 10 a day.
Every time I stop at the one near me they have at least three tankers at a time lined up to dump gas. It looks like they pump it out as fast as they can drop it in.

Have you ever been to a Bucee's? There is a new one near me on the interstate that has about a 100 pumps and is always jam packed. The parking lot entrance and exit is a permanent traffic jam taking 5 minutes to enter or exit. They have added overflow parking across the road. The pumps are crowded as well as the store. And their brisket sandwiches are legendary.

I never said they were not packed. I was mealy talking about all the pumps being utilized at once-to require that many pumps.

I never said they were not packed. I was mealy talking about all the pumps being utilized at once-to require that many pumps.
"May I remind the jury that 98 pumps in use out of a hundred does NOT mean they're all being utilized at once!"

Every time I'm in Texas I drive by one of these Buc-ee's and on this trip I decided to make an effort to stop at one. I was staying 14ish miles from the one in Katy so I made the drive down I-10. There are a million pumps and a really nice car wash and self service vacuum, but I had just picked my rental up so none of that was needed. Went inside and I have to say this is the biggest junk store I've ever seen in my life. The grocery part is tiny, I wanted to pick up some water and Diet Pepsi but all they had was Coke. They have a bakery and a fudge/chocolate maker for some inexplicable reason. Move on to the merchandise section and it's all cheap junk like you'd see in a Cracker Barrel and a huge section of Bucee branded clothing. Who wants Bucee PJs or a throw blanket? Move on to the food and they have like 100 pre-made sandwiches out. Keep in mind this is 8 PM not lunch. So I grab a club melt that sounded good and head back to the hotel. Bun was gross so I tossed it and just ate the meat and cheese, luckily they stacked it pretty high (and they better for $7.99) since that was my dinner. All in all it's a tourist trap gimmick. That said, it was spotlessly clean which is something they really strive for, and they did succeed.

Sheetz is my go to convenience store. The made to order sandwiches are excellent and the merchandise selection is what you would want in a store that you're stopping off at for gas and a quick bite. But if you want a turkey fryer and some Bucee's underwear, it's waiting for you in Texas!

Clean is the magic word! They have full time cleaners in the restrooms. Once you go to one, everyone in your family will want to go back. I stop even if I don't need gas, food, etc. Just want to use a restroom that is clean and safe and well lighted.

Wall Drug is still open and functioning. My family was there about five years ago, and ate lunch at their restaurant cafe. Food was decent. The current generation of owners have improved it, as compared to our first visit in 1974.
Definition-
Tourist Trap= Wall Drug

We usually stop at one of the 2 here in GA if we're running up/down I75 but this last time there wasn't a single spot to park anywhere on the property. It was a complete zoo, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the county makes them somehow mitigate that, or make them hire people to direct traffic and not let people in when they're at capacity.

I remember stopping at Wall Drug in 1960 when I was 8 years old. We were traveling from our house in the suburbs of Chicago, to Bend Oregon to see my aunt and uncle. We hit a lot of the tourist traps on the 3 week journey.

That sounds too highfalutin fer most truck drivers. Just call them, skrimps.
Bucees doesn't cater to truckers so you won't see any big rigs there other than those making deliveries.

Also, they have a bunch of food and snacks but no place to eat them. No tables or chairs anywhere. They have plenty of parking so we usually let the tailgate down on the pickup and eat there

I stopped at the one in Luling Texas at 2300 hours and it was still packed - this one has another building under construction and will be the largest …
75k and 120 pumps …

Whenever I drive long trip I try to get gas from the cheapest and usually they also have decent enough bathroom. I haven't been to Bucees but if their gas is cheap I think it is a good place to stop.

Comparing this with EV because their store GM make 200k is like comparing apples to oranges. Tesla isn't for people who want to stop at a destination gas station like Bucees. Nobody buy a Tesla so they can go into a Mega Charger Lounge to rest. Currently Tesla and many EVs are expensive but soon enough they will be cheap and they will get the current Prius owners. Maybe then there'll be an E-Bucee for them exclusively for charging, clean bathroom, gas station quality sandwiches, junk food, sugary drinks, etc.

If it's not Toptier fuel, not interested. I have always avoided crowds, waiting in line and overpriced junk foods. Doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy. Not a fan of Cracker Barrel either, virtually everything in their "gift" section is MIC. Food is mediocre and calorie count is insane. Never been to Disney either.

My cruise director now plans our road trip vacations around where the Buc-ees are. First time was at the one in Bastrop TX. while visiting family. I was thinking dear lord, some theme park style gas station. Just what I want to see. They DO make things big in Texas, but this place, geez. First, couldn't park almost anywhere, all pump stations were full, tried to dodge all the Grizwald families just meandering through the lots, and got hit with an iconic 50's style logo of a beaver. Everywhere. Walk inside and it's like Cracker Barrel had a trailer park love child with a gas station. They had every imaginable piece of nonsense for sale including furniture. "Hey Walt, I'm sure we can fit this dining room table on the roof". Food was ok, brisket was decent. Momma came almost exclusively for the frozen Dr. Pepper and got 64oz. of it. Wouldn't stop talking for three days. Bought some of their beef jerky and Beaver Nuggets. Jerky was good, but expensive for what ya get. But those nuggets. I'm now like a crack head when any are around. Love those things and have found exact same thing made by Utz in a local convenience store here. Nirvana. Super clean with very nice and attentive staff makes it all palatable. Punctuated a few trips to Florida with stops in Daytona Beach and St. Augustine. Back-doored Pensacola with out of the way stops in Auburn and Loxley AL. just to see the GD beaver. Probably gonna stop in Sevierville on the way to Gatlinburg in the spring though, and at any other ones within 100 miles on any of our subsequent road trips. Can't wait. I did however get a Buc-ee's seat cushion that I'm currently sitting on. Can't help but giggle a bit everytime I fart on the little grinning beaver boy.

Back