Have you ever played back the dash cam when your car was in for service?

If you are in PA, can a car pass emissions with no MIL, and one category (evap) not ready? My wife’s takes 700+ miles to get into ready….(GM)
Hopefully, someone who is a real PA. shop tech/owner can answer. I can add that as of about 10-15 years ago, a PA. OBD II car 2000 and older could have two systems not ready. 2001 and up was allowed only one not ready. That was with no MIL lit. Perhaps MIL reset with reader or battery cable pulled. Not sure if it's related, but PA. was the first state to adopt CA. UL emissions beginning with the 2001 model year.

This is where possession and permission to operate the vehicle matters. The dealership has both of these elements when you drop it off for service.

So let's finish this story to make it an apples-to-apples comparison, or at least a little closer to that.

You would need to drop the vehicle off in my driveway, hand me over the keys, and provide me with permission to operate the vehicle. In this scenario, I could absolutely turn off your dashcam if I chose to while the vehicle was under my control.

They can also adjust your seats, turn off the radio (maybe change the station, etc.)

I understand you don't like the idea of the camera being turned off, but that doesn't mean they can't do it.

That's not apples-to apples. A dealer or a mechanic only has the right to possession and operation as it pertains to work/diagnostic of a specific problem or to move the vehicle in and out of the bays. That is why they can't legally use your vehicle to go grocery shopping. Disconnecting a dashcam has absolutely no relation to any of the mechanics work, while turning off a radio does.

I understand you don't like the idea of the camera being turned off, but that doesn't mean they can't do it.

Actually, it's not that.

It's the wide acceptance by the public, as evidenced by this thread, that if a corporation or the government is recording everything, it is all good and done for valid reasons, but if a private person whats to exercise the same right, it is automatically seen as weird and that there must be a nefarious reason behind it, like casing the joint.

That's not apples-to apples. A dealer or a mechanic only has the right to possession and operation as it pertains to work/diagnostic of a specific problem or to move the vehicle in and out of the bays. That is why they can't legally use your vehicle to go grocery shopping. Disconnecting a dashcam has absolutely no relation to any of the mechanics work, while turning off a radio does.

Bolded part is where we disagree. The argument will be that the mechanic and the dealership have a right to privacy while the work is being performed, especially since it's on private property and under their possession. If they need to unplug the camera to obtain said privacy, they will. To my knowledge nothing can be done about it other than venting online.

To be clear, we're talking about simply unplugging the device and not damaging wiring, cutting, etc.

Last edited:
Bolded part is where we disagree. The argument will be that the mechanic and the dealership have a right to privacy while the work is being performed, especially since it's on private property in under their possession. If they need to unplug the camera to obtain said privacy, they will. To my knowledge nothing can be done about it other than venting online.

To be clear, we're talking about simply unplugging the device and not damaging wiring, cutting, etc.
Then again, do I have the same right to unplug a camera on a visitors car that parks in my driveway?

Actually, it's not that.

It's the wide acceptance by the public, as evidenced by this thread, that if a corporation or the government is recording everything, it is all good and done for valid reasons, but if a private person whats to exercise the same right, it is automatically seen as weird and that there must be a nefarious reason behind it, like casing the joint.

The difference is that when a corporation or government is recording, it's either because:

- It is a corporate / private property and visitors have no say in what the companies surveillance policies are. If I don't like a company recording me as I walk down the aisle, I can shop somewhere else.

- The government can record you if there is a law allowing them to do so, can't do anything about that.

The inverse is not true though. You don't have the right to go into someone else's property and start recording. Will it be enforced? Probably not but it can be if the property owner wants, a person can denied service or trespassed.

A similar example can be recording a video of some event in an airplane, it happens all of the the time and though I am not aware of any airlines suing or barring passengers from flying for recording, they can do that if they want.

You are on a private airline and from what I've learned recently is you are not allowed to film on flights if it is against the airlines policy and I think the FAA prohibits this as well. One argument is that recording something can agitate those who are causing trouble and escalate a situation. Maybe @Astro14 can clarify.

Anybody remember when a dealership had to give a Vette owner a new Vette because their technician went joyriding in the car and the owner caught them on the dash cam?

That's +1 for don't touch my dash cam.

If you really feel the need to record the tech then you need to find another establishment to work on your vehicle or do it yourself.

With that said as I stated before I really didn’t care if I was recorded. We had a customer that would bring in their car with multiple notes taped up inside of “don’t unplug my camera” “you’re being recorded” etc. I just made sure I clearly and loudly talked about the most ridiculous **** and conspiracy theories I could while in their car. I should have started checking the schedule for when they’d be in, I could have been sure to wear a tinfoil hat while working on their car.

Anybody remember when a dealership had to give a Vette owner a new Vette because their technician went joyriding in the car and the owner caught them on the dash cam?

That's +1 for don't touch my dash cam.
Yeah but the public are also whiny A holes. I started unplugging cameras initially because someone who recorded the shop on their “hidden” camera complained to management that they could hear cursing. Have you ever been in an auto repair shop? That would be like hiding a camera in a shower and complaining it was indecent because people were naked there.

Last edited:
Yeah but the public are also whiny A holes. I started unplugging cameras because someone who recorded the shop on their “hidden” camera complained to management that they could hear cursing. Have you ever been in an auto repair shop? That would be like hiding a camera in a shower and complaining it was indecent because people were naked there.

Very true. Imo boil down to what would be acceptable. I agree complaining about cursing on a dash cam is stupid, but recording a technician taking a customer's joy ride in a car would be legit. There was a technician that took my Evo out for a 9 mile joyride and 1/8 tank of gas after I dropped it off for an alignment. At the time dashcam is weren't a thing but I do wish I had one at that time.

Yeah but the public are also whiny A holes. I started unplugging cameras initially because someone who recorded the shop on their “hidden” camera complained to management that they could hear cursing. Have you ever been in an auto repair shop? That would be like hiding a camera in a shower and complaining it was indecent because people were naked there.
Not really. In a men’s locker room some walk around buck naked, some wear towels. Buck naked tend to be older men maybe 70-80 yo. If it were a private club there would be decorum. I’m talking about the ymca. There are kids as young as 12 in the men’s locker room. Maybe it’d be nice to walk around with a towel. Same thing with cursing. Not all feel the same about it.

My older brother told us a story about our dad. They took a ride to Sears in my dad's 64 GTO for new tires and went across the street to the mall for lunch. As they were walking back they see the GTO laying rubber in the empty area of the mall parking lot.. They get back to Sears pay the bill and my dad asks to see the tire installer he wants to tip the guy. The guy comes out dad lays him out one shot . My brother said he was traumatized as a kid by dad's actions but now we laugh about it. My old man was a crazy Italian if he felt you did him wrong. We treaded lightly around him out of fear and respect

It’s normal. Men talk about women. Some curse. Today, one can’t state xyz happened, without tons of bizarre comments to the point of it’s a felony. Can you imagine convening a grand jury and indicting, over a vehicle dash cam ? 😂

Back