Have you ever played back the dash cam when your car was in for service?

No dash cam experience here but when I used to take my A6 to the Audi dealer for oil service. They would, the next day, email me another coupon and a three camera angle video of my my car getting serviced in the bay. I took it as a needless sales gimmick but it showed they took extra precautions with padding to protect the paint from belt buckle scratches and they wiped down the engine bay after the service. No video from the road test Gunther did. I’m sure he had fun with it…

The cost was very reasonable at $99 (coupon) and that included a plug in to the engine monitor with report, break and wheel alignment check and a hand done car wash and vacuum. It was such a deal I never missed taking it in to the dealer which was probably their intent.
That's a pretty good deal. Shoot, Valvoline charges like 80 bucks without all those extras.

My older brother told us a story about our dad. They took a ride to Sears in my dad's 64 GTO for new tires and went across the street to the mall for lunch. As they were walking back they see the GTO laying rubber in the empty area of the mall parking lot.. They get back to Sears pay the bill and my dad asks to see the tire installer he wants to tip the guy. The guy comes out dad lays him out one shot . My brother said he was traumatized as a kid by dad's actions but now we laugh about it. My old man was a crazy Italian if he felt you did him wrong. We treaded lightly around him out of fear and respect
Imagine if my dad were like that…he never let things bother him. He took his Ford to the dealer they said we can do new, remanuf, or used alternator. He said new.

I looked and told him part is used. Has yellow grease crayon with a different year than yours.

He went there in anger and they gave him the job for free. And I think this was 1994? So it would have been possible to get physical.

Yes, they can. And they do.

The only recourse someone has is to call up and demand to speak with a manager. :)

Way better than that, is to report it to the brand of vehicle they sell, and the motor vehicle safety authority that oversees how dealers operate.
Once they get a call back from those two, they will never unplug your camera again. By the way, yes I did report a dealer to both, when they unplugged the cameras in my work truck one time.
I got a call from the general manager, shop manager, and mechanic, all apologizing. Sounds like Kenworth raked the dealership over the coals for it as well. Safety authority did an investigation into their shop practices, and they promised to never unplug another customers cameras, as part of the conclusion from that incident, also fined $10,000.

If you really feel the need to record the tech then you need to find another establishment to work on your vehicle or do it yourself.

With that said as I stated before I really didn’t care if I was recorded. We had a customer that would bring in their car with multiple notes taped up inside of “don’t unplug my camera” “you’re being recorded” etc. I just made sure I clearly and loudly talked about the most ridiculous **** and conspiracy theories I could while in their car. I should have started checking the schedule for when they’d be in, I could have been sure to wear a tinfoil hat while working on their car.

That is an extremely unprofessional attitude to have.
Acting professional at work, where you deal with the public for a living, would be a wise decision.

That is an extremely unprofessional attitude to have.
Acting professional at work, where you deal with the public for a living, would be a wise decision.
You must be one of those reptilians, I was warning the people recording me about! Are you afraid I’m going to expose your plan for world domination??? The human race won’t go without a fight!

Anyway, the public was not supposed to be inside the shop. I was not supposed to deal with them. They were not not supposed to have to deal with me. Don’t like what I had to say, stop recording it, watch your spy tape with the sound off or go somewhere else.

Way better than that, is to report it to the brand of vehicle they sell, and the motor vehicle safety authority that oversees how dealers operate.
Once they get a call back from those two, they will never unplug your camera again. By the way, yes I did report a dealer to both, when they unplugged the cameras in my work truck one time.
I got a call from the general manager, shop manager, and mechanic, all apologizing. Sounds like Kenworth raked the dealership over the coals for it as well. Safety authority did an investigation into their shop practices, and they promised to never unplug another customers cameras, as part of the conclusion from that incident, also fined $10,000.

Are you honestly suggesting to report the dealership to the motor vehicle safety authority for simply unplugging your audio and video recording device while it's in their shop, in their possession with consent to operate, and infringing on their privacy?

Also just noticed you mentioned Kenworth, so heavy-duty commercial trucks where the cameras are (likely) required by law and/or corporate policy. I can see how disconnecting and failing to reconnect one of those could be a big deal. This is much different context than our discussions in this thread so far.

Last edited:
Here is one reason why they don’t want dashcams.
They want all of the authority with none of the responsibility.

Car owner who left Jeep at dealership gets sued after worker dies during oil change

Update to this story.

A few of my stick on weights fell off during a wheel cleaning, so I took my van to a local tire shop just to get them balanced

After sitting in the waiting room for 30 minutes, I took a peek into the work area and it was nowhere to be found

Turns out the worker took it for a long, unnecessary drive all while changing my radio station, texting while driving and rubbing his snot on my steering wheel

When the work was done, he was backing out and got a little surprise when he hit the trainhorns

Last edited:
A few years ago, I was having a bit of an issue with my 2016 Sienna

The Pre-Collision System (PC-S) would randomly activate while driving over railroad tracks

D@mn thing would instantly lock up the brakes and tighten the seat belt, choking hell out of me (see video)

It was already way past warranty and they pretty much told me to go kick rocks

So I made a bunch of videos of what was happening and forwarded them to the NHTSA cause it was clearly a safety issue

The very next day I get a call from Toyota corporate insisting that I take it to my nearest dealer and that they would rectify the issue and give me a loaner vehicle free of charge until it was done lol

I scheduled an appointment and Toyota actually flew out an entire team of field techs and production engineer to inspect the vehicle from top to bottom

While there, they disconnected my cameras :mad:

I did. One of the many times my Forester was in getting the AC fixed. They did actually drive it around and sit in it with the AC on for a bit.

A few years ago, I was having a bit of an issue with my 2016 Sienna

The Pre-Collision System (PC-S) would randomly activate while driving over railroad tracks

D@mn thing would instantly lock up the brakes and tighten the seat belt, choking hell out of me (see video)

It was already way past warranty and they pretty much told me to go kick rocks

So I made a bunch of videos of what was happening and forwarded them to the NHTSA cause it was clearly a safety issue

The very next day I get a call from Toyota corporate insisting that I take it to my nearest dealer and that they would rectify the issue and give me a loaner vehicle free of charge until it was done lol

I scheduled an appointment and Toyota actually flew out an entire team of field techs and production engineer to inspect the vehicle from top to bottom

While there, they disconnected my cameras :mad:

Seriously human nature being what it is, for anyone to disconnect the cams says something. It reminds me of me. 25 years ago when corporate tracking internet usage was a thing, the guys all used their verizon 4G (imagine that vs if we did that today doesn’t matter), laptops, and disconnected from the LAN.

My friend let me use his laptop at lunchtime and when I was done I cleared all the browser history. He asked me why I would do that? He’s right, normally a shady person does that. I didn’t go to any prohibited sites but was thinking I wouldn’t want him looking at the history…but why?

Seriously human nature being what it is, for anyone to disconnect the cams says something. It reminds me of me. 25 years ago when corporate tracking internet usage was a thing, the guys all used their verizon 4G (imagine that vs if we did that today doesn’t matter), laptops, and disconnected from the LAN.

My friend let me use his laptop at lunchtime and when I was done I cleared all the browser history. He asked me why I would do that? He’s right, normally a shady person does that. I didn’t go to any prohibited sites but was thinking I wouldn’t want him looking at the history…but why?
No one has any business filming inside a business establishment without their knokledge or permission. Guys on here are so paranoid-they change their own oil even with free oil changes offered at the dealer.
Again-if you don't trust the dealer-keep your car at home.

Back