Solid ROLLER lifter oil

that’s great. i have freaking wires all over the place under my hood, no idea how you guys do it!
I've had this car for a bit over 20 years. One of the things I did early on was to reroute/hide/eliminate as many wires and hoses etc as I could for a cleaner look. One of the biggest things I've noticed under other hoods are the plug wires. "custom fit" wires don't fit. I always make my own. Heater hose and battery cables run over the top of the inner fenders, under the front fenders. Hydroboost gets rid of the booster and some vacuum hoses.

DavidJones, thats a nice looking setup! I spent a good while detailing my compartment, but I still have a bit of a mess with wires.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 33
Home built Comp Solid roller equipped Chrysler B street / strip engine here, @ 451ci for about the past 20 years.
Also 11.0 capable, although it usually runs 11.teens or 20s.
As the dusty engine bay shows, this is a real driver including dirt roads, rain, etc and up until
fairly recently was not ever a pampered garage queen.

I have usually used 15w40 or 20w50, either GTX or VR1, and have been satisfied with both.
I've sent the lifters back to Comp for a rebuild once in all that time as one felt a little sticky on inspection.
When I started out with it I tried old green Kendall GT1 SAE40, the single grade 40 might have been fine
for the summer but it seemed too much for spring and fall, when cold, just judging from behavior.

I did inspect bearings and all internals right around the 10 year mark as well, just to
take a look and see how things were working out. No issues found.

The lifters in this are PN 829 which don't have direct oiling to the roller bearings, splash only.

Some of the same individuals who commented on my similar question back many years ago are commenting today.
I distinctly remember one who will go unnamed throwing his weight around saying this will never work, but here
I am 20 years later with no ill effects.

Getting ready to upgrade to a bigger CI, less radical combination just out of the desire for a change.

So, there's two cents worth from the token Mopar Guy....Good luck with your decision....

Attachments

• 451a.jpg
    451a.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 451aa.JPG
    451aa.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Home built Comp Solid roller equipped Chrysler B street / strip engine here, @ 451ci for about the past 20 years.
Also 11.0 capable, although it usually runs 11.teens or 20s.
As the dusty engine bay shows, this is a real driver including dirt roads, rain, etc and up until
fairly recently was not ever a pampered garage queen.

I have usually used 15w40 or 20w50, either GTX or VR1, and have been satisfied with both.
I've sent the lifters back to Comp for a rebuild once in all that time as one felt a little sticky on inspection.
When I started out with it I tried old green Kendall GT1 SAE40, the single grade 40 might have been fine
for the summer but it seemed too much for spring and fall, when cold, just judging from behavior.

I did inspect bearings and all internals right around the 10 year mark as well, just to
take a look and see how things were working out. No issues found.

The lifters in this are PN 829 which don't have direct oiling to the roller bearings, splash only.

Some of the same individuals who commented on my similar question back many years ago are commenting today.
I distinctly remember one who will go unnamed throwing his weight around saying this will never work, but here
I am 20 years later with no ill effects.

Getting ready to upgrade to a bigger CI, less radical combination just out of the desire for a change.

So, there's two cents worth from the token Mopar Guy....Good luck with your decision....
THANK YOU! Excellent information there. I'll just anticipate pulling the intake every other season to check the rollers. I'm probably going to stick with dino 10w40 or the bulk Delo 1300 15w40 I get at work.
Quick question... What's with Mopar guys and dirt roads?
Kidding, thanks for the info!

THANK YOU! Excellent information there. I'll just anticipate pulling the intake every other season to check the rollers. I'm probably going to stick with dino 10w40 or the bulk Delo 1300 15w40 I get at work.
Quick question... What's with Mopar guys and dirt roads?
Kidding, thanks for the info!
Bigduke, I'm also running a BBC 496 in my 71 Chevelle. Engine has been together about 10 years with a solid roller setup. My combo is 10.5:1cr on pump gas, ported Brodix heads 310cc, Ultradyne solid roller (256°/264° @.050, .660"/.660", 108lsa), Isky Red Zone EZ-Roll bushing lifters with Isky Tool Room valve springs (255lbs on the seat and 640lbs @ 1.250"), ported Vic Jr intake Pro Systems carb. I would pull the intake usually ever other year and send the lifters back to Isky for their inspection. Every time they were returned not needing to be rebuilt and well within Isky's tolerances. Back when I had this engine built, I talked with Isky and they highly recommended I use Brad Penn/Penn Grade1 oil (15w40) for their lifters and my setup. They had performed testing on several different oils and preferred the Brad Penn. Also, clean oil is important when using the bushing style lifters. I usually go around 1500 miles between oil changes.
This past winter I pulled the heads for a "freshening up" (guides checked, new springs, a little tweaking to the porting), a new Chris Straub designed solid roller cam (253°/268°, .654"/.638", 108lsa), bumped comp ratio to 11.0:1 and heads now flow 394cfm intake and 275 cfm exhaust.
I used the same lifters but sent them back to Isky to check and have them rebuilt. They checked them prior to rebuilding and said they were still within specs.........this is after 20k miles.

Attachments

• IMG_E2267.JPG
    IMG_E2267.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 16
  • 45e72db6-b123-495a-b326-1f0bdee958a7.jpg
    45e72db6-b123-495a-b326-1f0bdee958a7.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 0a45bc03-506e-43f1-a0a2-8aadd9d13462.jpg
    0a45bc03-506e-43f1-a0a2-8aadd9d13462.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 16
  • add68ede-32d4-475b-afab-689e3278e731.jpg
    add68ede-32d4-475b-afab-689e3278e731.jpg