Sludgy 1990 F150 5.0

But the heads and valley were cleaned about 90% plus... ;)
First time seeing this post don't know how i missed it.
Thats a nice looking truck your son has there !
Looks like the cleaning is slowly moving along which is probably a good thing .
i would keep doing what you are , 3 to 5 k oil changes at this point .
Good luck ! and nice Truck !

Today with another oil change. 5k on the oil and 3k on the FL1A filter. (PP was the oil.)
Lot of junk still coming out, amazing. Will it ever end? :eek:

IMG_20221203_132613633.jpg

IMG_20221203_132629510.jpg

IMG_20221203_144355171.jpg

IMG_20221203_144400989.jpg

IMG_20221203_144406796.jpg

IMG_20221203_144424328.jpg

No string on this filter, one of the last in the stash of the $3 Walmart filters.

IMG_20221203_144436950.jpg
IMG_20221203_144452171.jpg

IMG_20221203_144800378.jpg

IMG_20221203_144805151.jpg

Just more sludge...

Last edited:
Looks like the oil is still fairly clean, what did you use this time? I definitely wouldn't go no longer on a filter until you start seeing a reduction in deposits. You didn't run like 2 bottles of HPL cleaner? That's still a lot of crud coming out and you've already changed it a few times already.

Yes, this round was Pennzoil Platinum. I see no reason to add anything to clean as the oil alone seems to be washing it out and into the filter.
We put in M-1 5w-30 HM extended this time, got cheap with rebate, along with another Motorcraft filter. The anti-drain back valve was not that pliable this time, possibly different material?

Was hoping to be doing 5k oil and filter changes by now but with the filters still loading up I suppose a filter swap at 2.5k would be prudent.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it was PP; right @cbrf3 ?
PP is a really good cleaning oil in itself alone, at least that's what they used to tout anyways. I've used it a lot but haven't cut open any filters but it will definitely do the job and do it well.

PP is a really good cleaning oil in itself alone, at least that's what they used to tout anyways. I've used it a lot but haven't cut open any filters but it will definitely do the job and do it well.
Oils themselves aren't designed to be cleaners, what we are seeing is more of a "flushing" action because of the massive buildup of particulate in this engine. The purpose of detergents and dispersants isn't to clean-up existing deposits but rather prevent new ones from forming.

I think once this loading tapers off a bit the OP should perhaps try some of the @High Performance Lubricants cleaner, or use of their oils with high levels of esters, which will do some cleaning of the stuff that can't be just flushed out.

Last edited:
I'd give any inexpensive synthetic oil and some Rislone a crack at it for a few 2-3K OCIs. Oil itself is not a good cleaner as already mentioned. No point in breaking the bank with a high quality oil and good filters at this point there is still a lot of crap coming out of that engine.

I’ll echo overkill.

Use an engine oil systems cleaner. HPL or multiple other brands offer one.

They work. I wish I had some before and after pictures. But I have seen some before and afters in person with a fiber optic camera stuffed into the engine in various places.

I’ve also used them in open transmissions - particularly my own 1973 CAT 931. Which had literal moss growing inside the transmission. Previous owner left the fill cap off and used it to make / mix dirt. So the entire transmission was filled with dirt.

The concept is the same that we use in industrial situations. With varnish and sludge removers in large sumps and piping systems. Turbines, compressors, large hydraulic systems and gear oil systems.

Personally, I would hold off on any additives until the oil filters stop looking like they're full of coal mine tailings. Oil alone is flushing things out quite fast enough.

Engine oil systems cleaners will soften up the deposits typically. This will cause less abrasion wear over all as they move through the system.

I’m not sure about HPL’s particularly. However the one I am familiar with, you add a quart in, run for 10-15 minutes, then change the oil and filter.

While not quiet industrial filtration / high velocity flushing. The concept is the same. I’ve been studying this highly as we own a small filtration company. And in 2023 I plan on growing it substantially across a large part of the country.

I would be interesting to build a small, 25-50 gpm filter cart that you could hook up to the engine. By pass the oil cooler for return. Thread in through the drain and kidney loop it.

Engine oil systems cleaners will soften up the deposits typically. This will cause less abrasion wear over all as they move through the system.

I’m not sure about HPL’s particularly. However the one I am familiar with, you add a quart in, run for 10-15 minutes, then change the oil and filter.

While not quiet industrial filtration / high velocity flushing. The concept is the same. I’ve been studying this highly as we own a small filtration company. And in 2023 I plan on growing it substantially across a large part of the country.

I would be interesting to build a small, 25-50 gpm filter cart that you could hook up to the engine. By pass the oil cooler for return. Thread in through the drain and kidney loop it.

I’ve been told by more knowledgeable folks here that HPL oils clean more than their engine cleaner. I’ll go with that

I’ve been told by more knowledgeable folks here that HPL oils clean more than their engine cleaner. I’ll go with that

I’m not going to argue specifics of someone else’s product. If they say that, they say that.

I just know the products I’ve designed and what they do. And I would still recommend a cleaner to soften the varnish and deposits.

Back