Sirius XM experiences..

It's okay for the 90 days we get it free when we buy a new vehicle, but it's not worth paying for in our opinion. We currently get USPS mail renewal notices all the time for the last four vehicles we've bought. We have yet to make the mistake of giving them a phone number...

We save them and have a nice bonfire in the backyard firepit when it gets colder...

I subscribe and like the service, I probably listen to the mobile app as much as the radio in the car. Renewing is very simple. Call a couple days before your radio expires and tell them you want the best deal they can give you. If say no, just tell them to shut the radio off and mean what you say. You'll end the call within 5 minutes with at least a 50% discount. There has only been one time in 10+ years that we couldn't agree on a price and they shut the radio off, but I get a 50% discount within about 2 months.

i've been a subscriber since...2005. never felt the need to cancel.

...now my parents... they've gone back and forth a few times, started when i activated the radio in mom's car before they went on a month long road trip after mom retired...they'll have it for a year or so, complain about the price when they get the renewal notice, dad will call em up, go through the cancel/lower the price dance, or on occasion, just cancel all together. he's never said anything about a problem in doing so.

eventually they send the letters with fantastic savings, if it's a good enough deal, and its coming up on a road trip, he'll have it turned back on...

my biggest problem with Sirius ( pre Merger), was the letters, calls, and emails offering a fantastic rate to re-activate my "unused" radio....that i had disconnectd b/c it was stolen..(Even told them that when disconnecting it..) eventually i had to call them up and have it (and another replaced radio) deleted from my account. had to put much emphaisis on the fact that the ONLY units in my possession are the ones currently activated on my account.

Those deals are for the Select Lite package and don't include streaming, Howard Stern or a free Echo Dot. Plus this delays the cancellation call for an entire year.
They now include streaming, they did that a while ago. Don't need an echo dot and don't listen to Stern. It's 140 channels. For $5/month, it's not too bad.

Yeah we are cheap, use T-Mobile, so there are dead spots. If i subscribe to the onboard LTE it uses AT&T and even that has dead spots, usually in different places than T-Mobile.

In order to cancel the LTE for the car you have to call in and waste a bunch of time. We do tend to turn that data on if we plan to travel that month.

Between T-mobile phone streaming, Sirius, and 4G LTE onboard, we can go just about anywhere and have something work. I just wish i i could turn it on and off easily without the run around.

True SAT radio-will work in the middle of no where Montana or Wyoming.

Do not pay with CC. Have them bill you and send them a check in the mail.
This can work for some things, others require the CC. Also i would lose out on the stamp and the 1.5% cc cash back. Did i mention i am cheap yet?!

They are slim balls! Bait-n-switch business practices. I just stopped doing business with these fools over how they try to screw their customers.
So sad, because if they would just run it like a business that cares about their customers, they would have my business.

Ever since buying our TourX last summer, they've hounded me to subscribe to Sirius satellite radio. On Dec 26th 2019 they finally got me. They kept calling back with lower prices. Today i get an email reminding me they are going to automatically renew the plan but no pricing data included.

Of course i had to call them up. 15 mins of holding time, no big deal we got the rona and all that, i get to talk to someone. She tells me i have to call on Dec 26th, the last day, to cancel this full year plan i purchased. It is not possible to cancel the plan for some reason. I laugh and say, cancel it today then. How much is my pro rata refund if i cancel today? She pauses, then says she can get in touch with a senior account executive and process this future cancellation request today.

What a hassle it is to deal with companies these days. They all let you "manage" your accounts online. This does not ever include cancelling. You have to go through the wringer of anti cancel sales people first. The audacity to claim i have only that one day Dec 26th 2020 to cancel is beyond absurd.

It's a pity, the wife and kids liked the service. I'm not sure if i will resub simply because of how annoying it is to cancel. If you don't cancel they will charge some non negotiated, non promotional, high fee.
if you have it for a long time you will hear the same songs at the same time everyday. They haven’t changed their tapes in years. That’s why I am canceling.

I had them in 2003 when Sirius was still around; on couple occasions I had them again in certain vehicles after that; they claim they have digital sound that sounds a bit better than AM radio imo, go figure

nowadays YT and TuneIn app is all that I need in my cars for the entertainment purposes

I use them and have the auto pay. I really should cancel as I don’t use it as much as I did, I used to be in the car 2-3 hours a day. My experience has been fine, consistent pricing and when they did try to raise it one time I called and threatened to cancel. No other problems in 4-5 years.

I have it in all my vehicles. Where I am, local radio is either kiddie pop or country music, neither of which are my musical taste.
And after a while, even my music collection gets old. So the satellite radio has some other stuff I can listen to, and I get a cheap rate by having multiple radios signed up. I got streaming included, and I probably use that more because it’s what I listen to when I’m working in the garage (I have a Bluetooth speaker I use and stream through my phone via WiFi).

They have not been slimy with me simply because I use the service, don’t pay for stuff I don’t want (like Howard Stern 😐), and I pay via a reloadable debit card. I’ve had no problem turning off a radio, or getting a reduced rate at renewal. It’s worth it to me because internet streaming via 4G or LTE is spotty in my area.

We have it. I called this summer to cancel due to low income and they gave us an offer I couldn't refuse. Got two vehicles with XM for $30 for a year, that is for both.

I avoid this company now like the plague (or corona virus). My wife had a home subscription for some years and grew tired of it. When she tried to cancel, they refused. They would hang up on her, put her on indefinite hold, etc. Finally called the credit card company, told them the story and asked that they accept no more charges. The guy there laughed and said, "Join the club! We will take care of it." And they did! Well, this lit off Sirius like a rocket. Five or more calls a day, letters, etc. But they finally dialed it back. Thank goodness for caller recognition on the phones. We obviously never picked up. My advice: DO NOT SUBSCRIBE to this service. They are sleazy and a scam operation.

So weird you had to wait 15 minutes on hold. I call twice a year and never have waited more than a couple of minutes. You calling and both cancelling and requesting a refund is probably handled by someone above your entry CSR, which is more common than some think it is. The way they handle cancellations is poor and ticks a lot of people off. I'm surprised they still continue to operate that way.

I have had Sirius XM since 2009. I have to put a note on my Outlook Calendar to remind me every six months to call them and tell them that I am going to cancel before it renews at a higher price. They always offer the $60/6 months rate again and that is for the expanded channel lineup. Only takes a few minutes when I call and they are very polite. I suspect that the call center is in India. I am surprised to hear that some of you have had negative experiences. But I agree that they should just go with flat rates for everyone all the time and skip the game of having to ask for a discount before the rate increases.

I listen to Sirius XM through my computer when I am working in my office too so it's not just for the car, and I can also stream it through my SmartTV and sound system in my living room if I desire.
My only complaint is that the fidelity is not that great. They really should be supplying CD quality sound.

They keep sending me emails that this is the final day of the $5 a month deal. I've been getting these emails daily for over a month.,

I avoid this company now like the plague (or corona virus). My wife had a home subscription for some years and grew tired of it. When she tried to cancel, they refused. They would hang up on her, put her on indefinite hold, etc. Finally called the credit card company, told them the story and asked that they accept no more charges. The guy there laughed and said, "Join the club! We will take care of it." And they did! Well, this lit off Sirius like a rocket. Five or more calls a day, letters, etc. But they finally dialed it back. Thank goodness for caller recognition on the phones. We obviously never picked up. My advice: DO NOT SUBSCRIBE to this service. They are sleazy and a scam operation.
I had the same miserable experience. I wouldn't subscribe to them if it was free.

Scott

I let it lapse, think I'd been paying $60. Horrible to get out of, as nasty as Dish (and now I find myself with Boost). Liked POTUS and other news/talk stations. Replaced with downloaded podcasts.

Last edited:
Back