should you start with the lightest oil then heavier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using GC 0w30 for about 10K now from 25K-35K, I know that GC is like a high 30 weight oil.

Engine is a 2000 Camry LE 5sfe 4cyl 2.2L

I was thinking, should I have started with the lightest oil like a M1 5w30, and then move up to a heavier weight?

If I start with a heavier weight oil, wouldn't that slowly expand the current piston/wall clearance? IN turn, making the engine rely on heavier weight oils?

You won't increase the clearance of the piston/cyl wall with a heavier oil. This will only happen by wear.
Lighter oils have less internal drag - you may get an increase in mileage or power with a lighter oil.
GC 0-30 is supposed to be one of the best oils out there.

Thanks, ran through a couple google searches with people saying that heavier oils can cause problems due to clearances (didn't imply that it would increase the clearances).

However, I would assume (not considering startup and warmup) that using a significantly heavier oil, such as 20w50, 10w60 would cause some kind of malfunction?

I noticed that Ken4 has used 40 and 50 weights with his camry though.

Although willar's advice is the best one...you will not have any engine damage from any grade of oil used as long as it's used within the ambient temperature guidelines for the oil grade in question. Contrary to popular myth perpetuated by some....
smile.gif

I like the comment you have though "...cause the engine to rely on thicker oils". I think this is true but only because of the breakdown by-products of thinner lubes occupying spaces whereby the thicker lube would have 'sealed' mating surfaces.

As far as the GC, don't worry about thick vs. thin and split hairs unnecessarily. Being over the 12.1Cst hump has allowed it to be A3 rated...and that's a good thing vs. an A1 30 weight. Otherwise, it's still just a 30 weight (compared to a 40, 50 or 60 weight).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back