Should I use the OLM monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys new to this board. So glad to see I'm not the only one who loves to change their own oil. My question, I have a 03 Saturn L200 w/ the eco-tec motor. I now have 60K on the clock, I used Mobil 5000 for the first 50K and switched to Mobil 1 5w-30, at 50k. I drained the M1 at 55K and 60K, I have let the light do its thing and it always comes on at 7500 miles. I am a traveling salesman averaging 1k a week. I plan on keeping this car until I hit 150K-200K. The main reason I switched to M1 is because of the starting and stopping that I do on a daily basis. I probaly crank and turn off the motor ten times a day. I have sent off a UOA and will wait for the results. Thanks for your help.

Brian

I think you should see what the lab says.

More than likely, if you requested an opinion on extending the drain, they will tell you to stretch it another 1k miles.

You probably want to do 2-3 UOA over the next 4-6 drains and see what they say. You have to have a baseline.

Mobil 1 is one of the most respected synthetics. I think you will be fine.

My buddy has an '01 Monte. He was ding 6 month changes with M1 at about 3k miles.

His only analysis showed fuel dilution. He says he's going to use the OLM now and see what happens.

I liked the semi-annual changes.

quote:

Originally posted by thooks:

Mobil 1 is one of the most respected synthetics. I think you will be fine.

Yeah, you can also run 25K OCIs and your motor will always be quite and smooth.
lol.gif

Following the OLM with M1 would be a very conservative plan IMO. I personally wouldn't even bother with UOA in that case.

quote:

Should I use the OLM monitor?

If you are keeping the vehicle until the day it dies of old age... No! Reason-being is that the engine will reach old age filth & old age wear faster using the OLM.

Otherwise --- should you be like most folks who sell it at around 100K .... then yes - use it!

Just my opinion after reading how some OLMs are lighting-up at beyond 10K using dinos. I will guarantee a shorter engine lifetime doing double-digit 10K OCIs using non group III dinos.

What that shorter lifetime is -- depends on how you drive, how fast you accumulate miles & the engine interior design.

Again... just an opinion...

If you use M1 and use the OLM your engine will go well over 200k miles. If you use dino and use the OLM your engine will go well over 199k miles.

There is no better indicator of when to change your oil than the GM's OLM. Use M1, the OLM and be happy.
smile.gif

I've never seen the OLM screw up. It knows what it's doing.
Run any approved (by GM for your model of vehicle) oil out to the OLM limit, which is, BTW, conservative in most cases, and you'll be fine.

There are some excellent discussion threads regarding the GM OLM. Do a search. A lengthy post by one of the engineers who helped develop it is included if I recall correctly. The bottomline; it's for real, it is very conservative, and it is calibrated for dino. So do the environment a favor and follow the OLM. Any of the SM/GF4 dinos will work great, and M1 is icing on the cake.

Last OCI in my dad's Cadillac, we ran Mobil 1 and the OLM down to 4% which was 11,200 miles. The Caddy OLM shows % left, also they hold 7.5 quarts. The UOA was great, it's posted in the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back