Scored some Castrol Euro 0-40 today

Was in Walmart today and went thru the oil isle to see what they had. There was 3 jugs of Castrol Euro 0-40 for $22 each.I pulled 2 down and they were dusty. They also had Mobil1 0-40 for $27.xx. They had a lot of other oils on the shelf. Now this is a Walmart 2 miles from Ft Myers Beach so I'd say there aren't a lot of DIY's around there. I probably should get some more tomorrow as all the discussions on here about not being able to find favorite oils is worrisome. Now the grocery side was a different story.

Ha! Yes, $21 for a gallon of Castrol, 0W-40 at Walmart today. We don't have any Walmart nearby but there was one on my route today and I thought I should check the oil shelf. I got a stash now.

still there

over $27 after the reformulation which makes it a very poor value proposition for anything other than a varnish cleanup oil

My local one has the 12qt box for 50 something, maybe 57 IIRC. I try to buy those when I see them as all 5 vehicles plus 2 jetskis get it..

Was in Walmart today and went thru the oil isle to see what they had. There was 3 jugs of Castrol Euro 0-40 for $22 each.I pulled 2 down and they were dusty. They also had Mobil1 0-40 for $27.xx. They had a lot of other oils on the shelf. Now this is a Walmart 2 miles from Ft Myers Beach so I'd say there aren't a lot of DIY's around there. I probably should get some more tomorrow as all the discussions on here about not being able to find favorite oils is worrisome. Now the grocery side was a different story.
Almost always 21.97 on amazon. Prime shipping as well, typically arrives on my doorstep a day later.. super hard to beat. Blackfriday multiple years in a row I paid 16.37 for each 5quart jug including tax, shipped. I typically will order 4-5 jugs at once at that price if not more. I assume that black friday deal is dropping again this year soon, so watch out for it!

Now if I could only find Castrol 0w30 edge for this price...

For what reason? How is it better than the 0W-40? The HT/HS will be nearly identical and the slate of approvals is similar.
To be honest, no reason in particular except that I've used it for nearly 20 years and ran them on all my cars (literally!). I haven't gotten any for nearly 5 years now because of the great price of Edge 0w40, which makes it unreasonable to get 0w30 for double the price or more. But if both were the same price, then I'd be down to pick the 0w30 for the slightly lower Noack since I use the oil also in my DI turbo cars. But splitting hairs like you mentioned. I think the 0w30 has shown slightly higher PAO levels as well(doesn't mean it'll be better ). Nothing more nothing less.

This is still available online.... Just purchased 2 jugs.

yq7kNXI.png

My local WM was low on M1. Only 1 jug of 0w40.

Plenty of Castrol A3/B4 oils all of which were 21.xx a jug. Usually the M1 is cheaper.

For what reason? How is it better than the 0W-40? The HT/HS will be nearly identical and the slate of approvals is similar.
I think better in this case, is one of those needle in the haystack things that we engage here. By those standards, yes it is better. Lower Noack, high HTHS, low KV100 (mid 11 by VOA). But, the question is, is that worth $60 for 6qt compared to $21 for 5qt of oil that is basically just thicker brother of 0W30? No it is not worth it.

Back