School me on older MB Crossovers/mid-sized SUVs (ML350, etc)

In the market for a less expensive, slightly older Crossover or mid-SUV. A clean, lower-to-average mile RX330 would be ideal, an XC90 2.5t probably OK, but those have been hard to find. What would a similar Mercedes be, and similar options? ML350? I have casually read good things about it, but don’t know Mercedes that much.

Something similar sized to an RX330 - not full size, but not small/compact as it will be mainly an older driver using it who prefers that size.

In the market for a less expensive, slightly older Crossover or mid-SUV. A clean, lower-to-average mile RX330 would be ideal, an XC90 2.5t probably OK, but those have been hard to find. What would a similar Mercedes be, and similar options? ML350? I have casually read good things about it, but don’t know Mercedes that much.

Something similar sized to an RX330 - not full size, but not small/compact as it will be mainly an older driver using it who prefers that size.
I found many 2.5L Turbo's in my recent search for a 3.2L N/A. When I look at different reliability scores though Mercedes ranks higher than Volvo. They've been making cars for a LONG TIME... ha ha. There are so many Midsized SUV's over the last 15 years though. Another contender in my recent search was a GMC Terrain. The 3.6L V6 puts out plenty of power but also has 2.4L I4 if you want to save some fuel. Don't rule out common suv's that may have leather interior etc. I don't know anything about Mercedes but the ML350 was one I'd considered but the price is a bit higher. I think some might of even came with a diesel if that's what you'd want.

Had an older ML320. Excellent vehicle. Started it with a low battery voltage and the key/theft system was damaged. Was not cost effective to repair. Would buy one again except the ones in my budget are too old use with UBER.

g

My wife had a 2004 ML350 that we bought in 2007 and sold in 2013. I think it had around 50k miles on it when we bought it. In the 6 years/60k miles she drove it, we had to replace the radiator due to a leak, and we had to replace the battery. That's it, nothing else ever broke that I can remember. The person we sold it to is still driving it. Here's an old under hood pic I found of it:
ML350 Engine.JPG

This is a video discussing the ML350. Of note, they are very inexpensive. Agree with "The Wizard" to focus on a 2010/2011.

My wife had a 2004 ML350 that we bought in 2007 and sold in 2013. I think it had around 50k miles on it when we bought it. In the 6 years/60k miles she drove it, we had to replace the radiator due to a leak, and we had to replace the battery. That's it, nothing else ever broke that I can remember. The person we sold it to is still driving it. Here's an old under hood pic I found of it:
View attachment 185193
That's the old 3.2. My daughter is currently driving one with over 380k on it. Daily driver.

There are years of 350 with balance shaft issues.
Check rear subframe. W212 E class has huge issues with rust around subframe bushings. Quality if rust protection ranges with worst years of Opel in Europe.
Check that on ML.

Check rear subframe. W212 E class has huge issues with rust around subframe bushings. Quality if rust protection ranges with worst years of Opel in Europe.
Check that on ML.

Oh, THAT balance shaft issue. I’ve heard of it. I ran across it when a CLK or something was in my research list a few years back. Took it off my list because of that, forgot about it.

That would be a deal-breaker on an early car if the work was not done. Too big a job pulling engine and trans to DIY it IMO, or at least it is for me at this time. That’s good to learn and I’ll keep it in mind.

Check that on ML.
That would be 06-07 models. Avoid them in all 06-07 models of MB.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
That would be 06-07 models. Avoid them in all 06-07 models of MB.

Yep, I appreciate the reminder about this. I ran into it several years ago; I was really set to buy a CLK for a family member and then found out about that. Killed the deal as no documentation of the work. I had completely forgotten about that and didn’t even realize this was the same engine.

MB if you DYi man and have good knowledge about electrical issues.
My suggestion is for Lexus that are hard to find be more patient and keep looking.

I agree - my first choice is the Lexus; I have a parallel ES in the family I’ve maintained a LONG time so am entirely familiar with all the maintenance/repair needs. But the MB is an impressive enough machine from what I can tell that I would accept it at the right price and condition. I can manage diagnostics and reas.

Yep, I appreciate the reminder about this. I ran into it several years ago; I was really set to buy a CLK for a family member and then found out about that. Killed the deal as no documentation of the work. I had completely forgotten about that and didn’t even realize this was the same engine.

I agree - my first choice is the Lexus; I have a parallel ES in the family I’ve maintained a LONG time so am entirely familiar with all the maintenance/repair needs. But the MB is an impressive enough machine from what I can tell that I would accept it at the right price and condition. I can manage diagnostics and reas.
There is BIG difference between RX and MB. RX 330 is buttoned up Highlander. It is transverse, FWD platform.
ML is longitudinal RWD platform that can tow 7,000lbs. It another level altogether.

ML is an SUV. If you want crossover, maybe GLB but they only just came out in 2020 so probably $30K plus.

My understanding is the ML was only a true ladder frame SUV through 2005. After that it was unibody. If that’s not correct then the source I read was mistaken, or I badly misread it?

No. It was always unibody. But it plays at much higher level.

The early ML320 and ML350 were definitely ladder-on-frame, and with hi-lo transfer case (1st gen W163). Up through 2005 model year. I’ve read that and seen the frame members myself. 2006+ was unibody (just confirmed). In fact, I started thinking the other day about one of them to replace my own rarely-used tow dedicated SUV, based on what I’ve learned. The lack of a transfer case in it also makes it not a “real” SUV in my usage and in many definitions as there are things I expect to be able to do with an SUV that do require a hi-low transfer case (getting to certain mountain campsites, etc.).

My only unibody SUV towing experience was with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was a disaster (two-horse trailer through North Cascade mountains). In fact the owners offered to GIVE us the vehicle (family members). We politely declined and went and bought a Toyota Land Cruiser instead. I will grant the 2nd Gen ML may be up to the task with some more significant engineering; I haven’t tried that but my first reaction was neutral on that point given my (clearly limited) unibody towing experience. Either way, this is as a grocery getter/dog hauler/etc. No explicit need for towing. However if it were capable, I could get rid of my seldom-used SUV and borrow this one when needed, so that’s a potential plus for me in all this. ;)

Last edited:
The early ML320 and ML350 were definitely ladder-on-frame, and with hi-lo transfer case (1st gen W163). Up through 2005 model year. I’ve read that and seen the frame members myself. 2006+ was unibody (just confirmed). In fact, I started thinking the other day about one of them to replace my own rarely-used tow dedicated SUV, based on what I’ve learned. The lack of a transfer case in it also makes it not a “real” SUV in my usage and in many definitions as there are things I expect to be able to do with an SUV that do require a hi-low transfer case (getting to certain mountain campsites, etc.).

My only unibody SUV towing experience was with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was a disaster (two-horse trailer through North Cascade mountains). In fact the owners offered to GIVE us the vehicle (family members). We politely declined and went and bought a Toyota Land Cruiser instead. I will grant the 2nd Gen ML may be up to the task with some more significant engineering; I haven’t tried that but my first reaction was neutral on that point given my (clearly limited) unibody towing experience. Either way, this is as a grocery getter/dog hauler/etc. No explicit need for towing. However if it were capable, I could get rid of my seldom-used SUV and borrow this one when needed, so that’s a potential plus for me in all this. ;)
I am not MB aficionado, so I missed W163 being body on frame. Though, makes sense considering G class.

I am not MB aficionado, so I missed W163 being body on frame. Though, makes sense considering G class.

I am not MB knowledgable either, so I am learning as we go. I am actually way more interested in the earlier 320 and 350 (163) now. Just emailed on a relatively low-mile one locally (115k), in fact. I’m going to check them out, too I think. If they don’t drive too “truck like” they could be excellent.

I had always read that the ML350 that we had was way more off road worthy than it had any business being. I always wanted to take it off-road just to run it through its paces, but the Mrs. would never allow it.

Back