2023 Cadillac XT4 Rental Review

I'm most of the way through a week-long rental of a brand new XT4 that had 700 miles on it and temp plates when I left the lot. I needed 4 doors plus room for luggage for 3, and knowing that I was going to put on over 1,000 miles I wanted something comfortable that also got descent gas mileage. Other than the standard mid size sedan offerings, this looked like the most appealing option in my aisle for selection other than a Lincoln MKZ, which in hindsight I likely would've been more happy with, but at the end of the day this ended up not being a terrible choice.

High points: seat comfort, infotainment, and handsome exterior styling IMO. I also felt the safety tech wasn't too intrusive, and specifically I appreciate GM's lane departure butt vibration as opposed to the annoying beeping of other brands

Low points: engine is barely adequate for power and rough. I've been averaging about 26mpg which is low considering the size of this vehicle and the engine. I can get the same numbers in my MDX which is 10 years older, much bigger, and has considerably more power. The transmission seems fine, although shifts are a little slow. The biggest disappointment is the interior...don't let the Cadillac badge fool you, this thing should have a bowtie on the front instead. I sat in and immediately thought "this is an Equinox". Cheap plastics, bland styling...classic mainstream GM stuff. Reading online after the fact it looks like the auto journalists share my sentiment. Not terrible, but not fitting of the brand.

At the end of the day, it makes a fine rental but if I was in the market for an upscale compact CUV I would look elsewhere.

No I'm not posting pics...turns out you can Google "Gray 2023 XT4" and it looks exactly the same as this one 😉

I'm most of the way through a week-long rental of a brand new XT4 that had 700 miles on it and temp plates when I left the lot. I needed 4 doors plus room for luggage for 3, and knowing that I was going to put on over 1,000 miles I wanted something comfortable that also got descent gas mileage. Other than the standard mid size sedan offerings, this looked like the most appealing option in my aisle for selection other than a Lincoln MKZ, which in hindsight I likely would've been more happy with, but at the end of the day this ended up not being a terrible choice.

High points: seat comfort, infotainment, and handsome exterior styling IMO. I also felt the safety tech wasn't too intrusive, and specifically I appreciate GM's lane departure butt vibration as opposed to the annoying beeping of other brands

Low points: engine is barely adequate for power and rough. I've been averaging about 26mpg which is low considering the size of this vehicle and the engine. I can get the same numbers in my MDX which is 10 years older, much bigger, and has considerably more power. The transmission seems fine, although shifts are a little slow. The biggest disappointment is the interior...don't let the Cadillac badge fool you, this thing should have a bowtie on the front instead. I sat in and immediately thought "this is an Equinox". Cheap plastics, bland styling...classic mainstream GM stuff. Reading online after the fact it looks like the auto journalists share my sentiment. Not terrible, but not fitting of the brand.

At the end of the day, it makes a fine rental but if I was in the market for an upscale compact CUV I would look elsewhere.

No I'm not posting pics...turns out you can Google "Gray 2023 XT4" and it looks exactly the same as this one 😉
XT4 is not upscale … even the premium is a cheap car …

Yeah you can pick these up for around $40k, definitely entry level luxury. Everything you mentioned also applies to my Integra and it was around the same price...and it's not even a CUV.

Thanks for the critique'.

PERSONAL NOTE: I was never one to obsess over the rungs on GM's ladder. Buying Saab and creating Saturn actually got me to lift up my head.
That the name Cadillac wasn't on some "Saab quality" cars, as well as the expected, dressed up American dreck, going into this century was hugely disappointing to me.

Thanks for the critique'.

PERSONAL NOTE: I was never one to obsess over the rungs on GM's ladder. Buying Saab and creating Saturn actually got me to lift up my head.
That the name Cadillac wasn't on some "Saab quality" cars, as well as the expected, dressed up American dreck, going into this century was hugely disappointing to me.
When American car companies buy European brands it tends to not end well...cue the 9-7X.

I agree the XT4 is bargain basement vehicle with Cadillac badges and pricing.

Looked at the brochure. Only 235 hp from a 2.0 using premium gas?? To me that's not impressive.

When American car companies buy European brands it tends to not end well...cue the 9-7X.
What GM should have done was to A) make Saab profitable as they only posted profits a couple of years from my research B) Step back and let Saab do their thing but to still have oversight C) Call in some marketing people. GM didn't know what to do or how to use Saab in their portfolio

My daughter got a XT4 as a loaner when her XT6 was in the shop to get rattles fixed. Wasn't impressed with it, but not impressed with the 6 either.

Back