Rolex released its new models for 22 today.....yawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldnt have expected much - given the conservative nature of the company.

Few things are as solid of an investment as a SS rolex, and has been said you get to wear it while it goes up in value.

I love my 80s Datejust(16013, two tone, champagne dial) and I will never be without it. I wore it daily until I got "lured" by the Apple watch several months ago, and still wear it regularly when I can sneak the Apple watch onto my right wrist and my wife not notice :)

With that said, Rolex did something that really bothered me on these models. Good independent service(and Rolex holds their independent parts accounts to high standards) to me is preferable to factoThat
I love my 80s Datejust(16013, two tone, champagne dial) and I will never be without it. I wore it daily until I got "lured" by the Apple watch several months ago, and still wear it regularly when I can sneak the Apple watch onto my right wrist and my wife not notice :)

With that said, Rolex did something that really bothered me on these models. Good independent service(and Rolex holds their independent parts accounts to high standards) to me is preferable to factory service. Not only is it less expensive, but they will both honor your wishes(i.e. if a less than cosmetically perfect part doesn't impair function, they will leave it) and also the last time I had mine serviced, every part replaced was returned to me. The factory expects them to leave "perfect", which means someone sending their valuable, aged vintage dial in will get back a refinished dial.

Not too terribly long ago, Rolex cut the independents off from being able to get parts to service the 3035 and older series movements, which means that they now can only go to the factory or rather an official Rolex service center for service.

That sucks ....ive only sent one Rolex in to Dallas center about 5 years ago.....for an older Sub.
Ive used a Rolex trained tech for years in Scottsdale......charges about 30-40 percent less that Rolex does

Rolexes are very nice…. but unfortunately attracts criminals wanting to steal them at gun point.

I had an opportunity to buy a GMT Master in 1991. It was in the ship's store on the USS Theodore Roosevelt for $1,400. A great price, even at the time. I didn't have the money, then, either.
with tax free, hazardous duty and family sep you were still broke? I came back from DS with paychecks under my mattress, not like we pulled in to spend it anywhere. I still remember the half shell engine canisters full of beer & ice and the 10 buck fosters when we finally pulled in to UAE.

with tax free, hazardous duty and family sep you were still broke? I came back from DS with paychecks under my mattress, not like we pulled in to spend it anywhere. I still remember the half shell engine canisters full of beer & ice and the 10 buck fosters when we finally pulled in to UAE.
Nobody said I was broke.

I was supporting a family. Most of my check was sent home.

FSA was about $60/month. Tax free was limited to $500/month exclusion for officers back in 1991, saving me, at best, $100/month in taxes.

Mail was delayed three months each way, so bank statements for December showed up in April. Internet access, and internet banking, was still in the future.

Compensation, and communication, was nothing like any recent combat experience.

My son sold his 10 year old Rolex Sea Dweller a few months ago. He told me that he sold it for more than he payed for it new.

Nobody said I was broke.

I was supporting a family. Most of my check was sent home.

FSA was about $60/month. Tax free was limited to $500/month exclusion for officers back in 1991, saving me, at best, $100/month in taxes.

Mail was delayed three months each way, so bank statements for December showed up in April. Internet access, and internet banking, was still in the future.

Compensation, and communication, was nothing like any recent combat experience.
I recall, was on the same ship for the same deployment but was part of normal ship's crew.
Did deployments 20 years later on DDGs and (even with a 64K pipeline for the entire ship) the ability to do online bill pay and banking was a lifesaver for sure.

You never really own a Rolex you just pass your name on the wait list for the next generaton....going on 12 months for a new GMT pepsi....hell they will have a sprite or mr.pibb gmt before i ever get one (pepsi)......at my age i will be dead first.
I once knew someone that went on and on about their Rolex that they called The Batman.

A classic Submariner, and I'm good.

I can only afford the ones where the serial number starts with V, and I am fine with that...

I recall, was on the same ship for the same deployment but was part of normal ship's crew.
Did deployments 20 years later on DDGs and (even with a 64K pipeline for the entire ship) the ability to do online bill pay and banking was a lifesaver for sure.
Wait! You were on the TR!?? We served together??

Where did you work?

I was in VF-84, ready room 8. My stateroom was 02-44-8L. Somehow, I still remember that detail...

So, you must have seen the same watch in the store, right?

My budget was more constrained than most, because I really was sending the money home. It wasn't until I flew off when we got home that I had any idea how much money was in my account. I had a Navy Federal checking account to which I sent myself an allotment. It was pretty modest.

I didn't dare use the joint credit card, without knowing what she might have spent.

One other thing that changed my budget on that deployment - when LT Robert John Dwyer, CAG LSO, was lost on 5 February, 1991. "BJ" Dwyer left behind a wife, and two young daughters. When I heard that VFA-15 was taking up a collection to support his family, I emptied out that Navy Federal account. I reckoned we weren't getting a port call anytime soon, and that the Dwyer family needed it more than me.

Last edited:

Where did you work?

I was in VF-84, ready room 8. My stateroom was 02-44-8L. Somehow, I still remember that detail...

So, you must have seen the same watch, right?

My budget was more constrained than most, because I really was sending the money home. It wasn't until I flew off when we got home that I had any idea how much money was in my account. I had a Navy Federal checking account to which I sent myself an allotment. It was pretty small, and I didn't darer use the joint credit card, without knowing what she might have spent.
If there is a reunion to be had.... Cheers!📣

Rolexes are very nice…. but unfortunately attracts criminals wanting to steal them at gun point.

I’m willing to wager a new Rolex that there are far more cell phones and cars (with or without kids in the back seat) being taken at gunpoint everyday in this country than there are Rolexes being heisted in the same manner.

I’m willing to wager a new Rolex that there are far more cell phones and cars (with or without kids in the back seat) being taken at gunpoint everyday in this country than there are Rolexes being heisted in the same manner.
"Excuse me, sir.. you got the time?"

Criminals commonly used the split-second distraction to then point the gun at you.

They would say, "You know what time it is." And that has nothing to do with the time of day.

Same way you have to be careful if someone is asking you if you have change or can you spare a dollar you're probably waiting for you to take your wallet out so they can steal it from you. Or to see how much you have to make that decision...

I was in the city years ago where kids would ride the bus and sit near the door so that they could snap somebody's phone and then run off the bus when it stopped to let someone off.

I think you have a pretty good point that there are a lot more cell phones than Rolexes in the wild today.

Many many areas where only the criminals have guns so there's that...

I've worn mine every day for 22 years, 98% of the time I don't look like I would have one. Someone has only noticed it a few times and 99% of those are people wearing something comparable or better. I have a concealed carry though, so I don't worry about that aspect.

Yeah, and how do the criminals know that they're real? Lots of fakes out there. I remember walking down Canal street in New York years ago and heard a guy shout out "Only Rolex's for me". At the time I think the fakes were going for $39.

Where did you work?

So, you must have seen the same watch in the store, right?

My budget was more constrained than most, because I really was sending the money home. It wasn't until I flew off when we got home that I had any idea how much money was in my account. I had a Navy Federal checking account to which I sent myself an allotment. It was pretty modest.

I didn't dare use the joint credit card, without knowing what she might have spent.

One other thing that changed my budget on that deployment - when LT Robert John Dwyer, CAG LSO, was lost on 5 February, 1991. "BJ" Dwyer left behind a wife, and two young daughters. When I heard that VFA-15 was taking up a collection to support his family, I emptied out that Navy Federal account. I reckoned we weren't getting a port call anytime soon, and that the Dwyer family needed it more than me.
Seems so. TR was my first ship, lived onboard her for 4.5 years, late 89 to mid 93. I was enlisted back then, made FC2 on that OIF/DS/Provide Comfort deployment. That Port AFT NATO SeaSparrow weapons system was mine. I took a few pics of you tomcat guys spinning up before FO, sadly lost to moves and time though. I crossed over to LDO after I made Chief, retired in 2017 as the CSMO on Lincoln.
I wasn't looking at Rolex watches back then, I was fresh off the farm and didn't even know what they were. Certainly saw a lot of "FOLEX" watches in the Sougs in later years though.

Yeah, and how do the criminals know that they're real? Lots of fakes out there. I remember walking down Canal street in New York years ago and heard a guy shout out "Only Rolex's for me". At the time I think the fakes were going for $39.
They don't. And some of the fakes are almost near indistinguishable.. of course they CAN be, but not at first glance.

The first one I had fooled everyone. The second, I wasn't happy with it and it was not as good.

People usually just ask, "Hey, is that real?" And since I don't lie, I'd say "No." Just a watch to me.

This is the perfect time for someone to enter the entire moral lecture about why fakes shouldn't exist, and why people should not buy fakes.

Kevin Garnett said it best in the movie Uncut Gems with Adam Sandler: "People call people out on these, man."

I have never heard it put quite like that... but you are 100% correct!
Rolex are very nice but unfortunately attracts criminals wanting to steal at gun point.
Yeah I know and have already run across that....I have ins on the more expensive ones......keep them in a gun safe bolted to the garage floor......and weighs 550 pounds plus guns etc....when i move into an apt I guess it going to be SDB at the bank....
I carry 2 guns on me all times ....a Ruger lcp 380 on my ankle when i have long pants......a Glock 43 9mm with an ex mag.
plus a Ruger .357 SP 101 3 inch in my Jeep GC. My GF carries a Smith M & P .38 5 shot in her purse .....
We are well prepaired for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back