Rolex released its new models for 22 today.....yawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
You never really own a Rolex you just pass your name on the wait list for the next generaton....going on 12 months for a new GMT pepsi....hell they will have a sprite or mr.pibb gmt before i ever get one (pepsi)......at my age i will be dead first.

You never really own a Rolex you just pass your name on the wait list for the next generaton....going on 12 months for a new GMT pepsi....hell they will have a sprite or mr.pibb gmt before i ever get one (pepsi)......at my age i will be dead first.

Only a 12 month wait…………? So far.

They wear like iron though. I've got a SS date sub that I've worn every day for the last 22 years. I don't think it is possible to scratch the sapphire crystal with anything but a diamond, mine doesn't have a scratch on it. The service isn't cheap and I've replaced a couple of pins and the link that is attached to the clasp.
I intend to pass mine down to my Son, but if you didn't plan to do that, they don't cost you anything to own. I paid 3750 for mine new in 2000, I think they are close to 10K now and good used ones (with original receipt/documentation/history of maintenance) are nearly the same.

They wear like iron though. I've got a SS date sub that I've worn every day for the last 22 years. I don't think it is possible to scratch the sapphire crystal with anything but a diamond, mine doesn't have a scratch on it. The service isn't cheap and I've replaced a couple of pins and the link that is attached to the clasp.
I intend to pass mine down to my Son, but if you didn't plan to do that, they don't cost you anything to own. I paid 3750 for mine new in 2000, I think they are close to 10K now and good used ones (with original receipt/documentation/history of maintenance) are nearly the same.
I had an opportunity to buy a GMT Master in 1991. It was in the ship's store on the USS Theodore Roosevelt for $1,400. A great price, even at the time. I didn't have the money, then, either.

The allure of a nice watch ended at $1900 for a nice used pre-coaxial Seamaster. Will probably always be worth $1900. In 2007 it sold for $2000 new.

Although tomorrow I am getting an Invicta Pro Diver that I have admired. Finally it was below $100 and I jumped. Believe it or not used/discontinued Pro Divers do appreciate. Yes I have 7 tasteful Invicta's.

They don't cost you anything to own. I paid 3750 for mine new in 2000, I think they are close to 10K now and good used ones (with original receipt/documentation/history of maintenance) are nearly the same.
This is the key... a good stainless steel sport model Rolex will appreciate in value.

As such, you get to wear a Rolex, while at the same time it gains in value every day it sits on your wrist.

I know of people who think nothing of paying $10,000 for motorcycle, ATV, or other "toy"... who at the same time would be aghast at paying the same amount for a simple "watch"... after 20 years of appreciation, let's see which was the better financial decision...

I paid $2,500 for my simple two line submariner... it just appraised for insurance purposes at more than four times that.

As far as the OP, I agree the 2022 offerings are boring... yawn...

I bought a new GMT pepsi in 2004 for 4200 .....sold it 6 moths ago for 13700
I bought a Sub in 1975 for 385 bucks if my memory is correct......I was offered 21000 for it last week.
TT DJ bought in 85 I bought and sold in 2007 ......never serviced and made about 5k off it.
bought a used SS daytona for 4500 in 1991 I have several offers on it now,
Ive bought and sold Rolex watches since high school and have never lost a dime on one.....In 1975 i bought my first Sub...because of James Bond movies....and a used red Triumph Stag......not so smart.....but it sure looked good with the top down!
Ive made more money off Rolex than any savings or cd's....only real estate has made more in my 64 years......thats getting ready to drop soon imho....im going to rent an Apt in my old age. Its like Rolex are paying me to wear one.
If i remember right.....Ive bought about 20 Rolex watches in my life more used than new .....
I was lucky enough to get a AP royal oak 20 years ago at an estate sale (gold) .....im not going say how much its worth now.....even i find it hard to believe.....

My dad has a friend that got a Rolex from his employer for 25 years of service. The back was engraved. He sold it to a jewelry store. I’d do the same thing. I don’t see the allure.
My father had 2 when i was a little kid in the early 60's ....one was gave to him by Conoco Oil.....who he worked for the other was a Sub since he worked on off-shore oil rigs....I wanted one since i was 6-7 years old.
I guess it was in my genes ....my love of watches, cars, motorcycles and guns came from him.
When i was 11 he bought me a Western Auto single shot .22 rifle .....I was on cloud nine.....plus the envy of all my friends....then he bought me a Honda 70cc trail bike in 69....then a new Kawasaki 100 in 72....I thought i was lucky....didn't know what pain was broke my leg on it.

I love my 80s Datejust(16013, two tone, champagne dial) and I will never be without it. I wore it daily until I got "lured" by the Apple watch several months ago, and still wear it regularly when I can sneak the Apple watch onto my right wrist and my wife not notice :)

With that said, Rolex did something that really bothered me on these models. Good independent service(and Rolex holds their independent parts accounts to high standards) to me is preferable to factory service. Not only is it less expensive, but they will both honor your wishes(i.e. if a less than cosmetically perfect part doesn't impair function, they will leave it) and also the last time I had mine serviced, every part replaced was returned to me. The factory expects them to leave "perfect", which means someone sending their valuable, aged vintage dial in will get back a refinished dial.

Not too terribly long ago, Rolex cut the independents off from being able to get parts to service the 3035 and older series movements, which means that they now can only go to the factory or rather an official Rolex service center for service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back