rock auto shipping cost, gave up

Ordered 2 air filters and 1 cabin filter for my dad this weekend. It was a bit of a chore but was able to get them all from the same location and $11.99 shipping. Even with the shipping still cheaper than buying local. Saving money takes a little work and time, on the bigger items I find CarID is cheaper than RA.

My order with 2 heavy truck drums and some other parts shipped for $12.99.

large.jpg

I dont think you can get shipping for $13 for all type rotors. Otherwise, I would be able to get that shipping price also.

I have seen this same issue hundreds of times. Face facts. In the future, it's going to end up as Amazon and Walmart dominating the market. With shipping and logistics, you cannot beat big large companies (scale). Just a reality. Rock Auto should just partner with Amazon and use their logistics. No sence over-paying for shipping.

It is almost comical the way people cry on and on about Rockauto. The shipping is gamed on purpose. Find your parts, add shipping and cost compare. Use Rockauto or don't. The sniveling needs to end. It's not as if they are not directly upfront about the total costs incurred. Don't forget the discount code for that last 5% off. sheesh....

I honestly don't think RockAuto shipping is that bad, in the US there's some alternatives that offer free shipping with good prices but that's not really the case in Canada and many places. Yesterday I was browsing for some rear springs for my W123, RA has them for $32 (Canadian) and another $12 for shipping to the great white north, the best Canadian site has them for $72 with free shipping over $ 100. I know that many people in the UK, Europe, and even Australia use RA because it's still cheaper after paying for shipping half way around the world.

Many times the 20% discount at AAP will equal RA's price plus shipping. Their shipping is higher than it needs to be, and even so I've had parts arrive shaped like a banana, that wasn't supposed to be shaped like a banana.

Many times the 20% discount at AAP will equal RA's price plus shipping. Their shipping is higher than it needs to be, and even so I've had parts arrive shaped like a banana, that wasn't supposed to be shaped like a banana.

that's bananas :LOL:

Your AAP must be special. They are never even close when I do comparisons even with their discount. This also applies to NAPA, Autozone and O'reilly's. Unless you are talking about oil. I'm talking hard parts. Of the many dozens of times I have ordered from Rockauto, their drop shipping warehouses have always over packaged what I ordered, sometimes comically overpackaged.

I dont think you can get shipping for $13 for all type rotors. Otherwise, I would be able to get that shipping price also.
You asked me to show you a pair shipped for $12. I showed you. I never said you will get that shipping for all type rotors. The point was that when many people are complaining that Rock overcharges for shipping, I can find just as many examples where Rock undercharged for shipping as well.

You asked me to show you a pair shipped for $12. I showed you. I never said you will get that shipping for all type rotors. The point was that when many people are complaining that Rock overcharges for shipping, I can find just as many examples where Rock undercharged for shipping as well.
I meant to say show me how to get $12 shipping. Looks like it all depends.

I meant to say show me how to get $12 shipping. Looks like it all depends.
If you can get mail at your work, try it. I saved decent money on shipping when I could. Fedex is cheaper to business addresses. Rock auto "knows" and you'll get a better price on the checkout page than you see on the shopping cart one.

There are also long-forgotten shipping zones, so if you get a closer warehouse, you can save money that way. We are so used to coast-to-coast pricing it seems like an "unfair" aberration when someone does better. I clean house on ebay stuff, mostly shipped from Southern California, 2800 miles away. And it surely got to Cali from Asia. IDK if the vendor loses money on me vs the "average" he's counting on. But my experience doesn't have to match yours.

Back