Rock Auto changes shipping location to increase freight

It makes sense for them, not to them. Without question they are doing this on purpose / by design. Is it to share sales across their different partners/distributors ? Or is it to pad a little extra revenue from shipping charges ?
I strongly disagree.

They are a co with no assets.

This business model can be done into the multi billion dollar cos.

Ever heard of a logistics broker? How about a customs broker? People make money without owning assets. They give orders for things to be shifted around. But they can incur losses as well and get burned.

As mentioned, one can charge more, offer free shipping, free returns, and be viewed as on the up and up 😂

Are they letting us use their FedEx to return a core for $6, instead of $22, on purpose too? 😆

Have noticed even the walk-in parts stores will charge extra for shipping on some items. You won't find out until you place the order. As I understand it, it depends on if it is in stock at their local warehouse. And don't get me going on restocking fees!

Either way, I try to buy through the local retailers in my area if at all possible. Generally a pleasant visit and sometimes an enjoyable conversation with another customer. Recognize I may pay more than the lowest price but prepared to eat the difference to a point.

Zoro sells Hastings/Baldwin filters. If you order during a 20% off promo and meet the minimum for free shipping it’s actually cheaper than RA with no shipping shenanigans.

I’ve never used Baldwin but heard good things about them so not concerned about aftermarket quality vs. AcDelco.

On the coupon codes I seem to not have them as often. But a simple google search leads to them, either those websites or forums who have them as a sticky. Albeit only 5%, it almost takes care of the 6% sales tax.

Amazon really nailed this concept of free shipping, where people like that, even though it’s been added to the product price.

Catalytic converter $328 with 2 day free shipping.

The same part $280 with $12.99 shipping.

Many like the first. But honestly? I suspect Amazon sells because of “free returns.” People use their products then return, like a loaner program 😂
No such thing as 'free' shipping. And I do find Amazon not to bad to deal with when things occasionally go sideways.

Zoro sells Hastings/Baldwin filters. If you order during a 20% off promo and meet the minimum for free shipping it’s actually cheaper than RA with no shipping shenanigans.

I’ve never used Baldwin but heard good things about them so not concerned about aftermarket quality vs. AcDelco.
I'm starting to avoid ACD- not the same product or company that I new years ago. NOS on fleabay is different.

I'm starting to avoid ACD- not the same product or company that I new years ago. NOS on fleabay is different.
ACDelco is more of a brand management company than a manufacturer nowadays. GM sold off AC Delco and Delphi manufacturing assets like 10+ years. Now the brands just manage other supplier manufacturers to build and supply their products rather than own the manufacturing in house.

ACDelco is more of a brand management company than a manufacturer nowadays. GM sold off AC Delco and Delphi manufacturing assets like 10+ years. Now the brands just manage other supplier manufacturers to build and supply their products rather than own the manufacturing in house.
And you usually pay more for the ACD name and reboxed product.

Not to mention they handle the mfg warranty on your behalf.
They wouldn't warranty a fan motor I bought that was screeching 4 months after order - it had clearly a 1 year warranty. There solution was for me to order a new one, then return the old one instead. Seriously how was that supposed to work. I bought one elsewhere.

I have had items in my cart, and remove one and the shipping goes up. How does it go up when your shipping less things.

I still buy there, but I would be hesitant to buy anything of much value. Its like fleabay - only spend as much money as your willing to lose.

I ordered 2 oil filters for 2 different cars and then wiper blades which were closeouts for a third car. The filters came from warehouse A, the wipers from warehouse B. The $7.50 cost for both wipers had shipping of $10.99. I decided to cancel the wipers as I really didnt need them. Once I did this the two filter were then changed to ship from 2 different locations which really doesnt make any sense for me which naturally increased the shipping cost.. They originally were to ship from the same location. I cancelled my order. I had been a long time Rock Auto customer but will rethink this going foward.
I've seen the exact same thing. Sometimes even changing to quantity of an item changes the warehouse.

Reactions: D60
They wouldn't warranty a fan motor I bought that was screeching 4 months after order - it had clearly a 1 year warranty. There solution was for me to order a new one, then return the old one instead. Seriously how was that supposed to work. I bought one elsewhere.

I have had items in my cart, and remove one and the shipping goes up. How does it go up when your shipping less things.

I still buy there, but I would be hesitant to buy anything of much value. Its like fleabay - only spend as much money as your willing to lose.

How else do you expect them to handle the warranty? Either you send in the bad one and then they send you a replacement or you but another then get a refund after sending the bad one? This makes perfect sense.

How else do you expect them to handle the warranty? Either you send in the bad one and then they send you a replacement or you but another then get a refund after sending the bad one? This makes perfect sense.
Yes, there process - not mine - is you fill out a form, they send you and RMA to return it. So yes, I send in the bad one, they send a replacement. Thats their policy. I filled out the form, they denied the return - no RMA?

I emailed them (because there is no person to call) and like a week later they said "yes, we denied it in our system I see. No idea why. Just buy a new one and then return it".

They weren't advocating a warranty return. They were advocating buy a new one, then swap for the one that doesn't work and return, which of course would be rejected - so I would have purchased 2.

That’s exactly how my lifetime ACDelco “new” junk starter went. Three times.

Think about it. Amazon is the only merchant I can think of where you can pay once, and physically possess qty 2 products for about a month. This is of course convenient when you need a part in the car for the car to function. Otherwise, said car is down the entire duration of the exchange.

So you essentially buy a replacement part, and this amount is refunded when the old part is returned. What difference does it make to have the part on a credit card for 2 weeks? Unless of course the Cc is accruing interest.

Again, not everyone is Amazon. If Amazon has the same price, why not get the part there.

Everyone raves about FcP Euro (again price reflects the policy) and they do the same. You can return a part, when they get it, they send a replacement. Or you can buy a new part, and when old part is returned, they credit the charge. Pretty straightforward and fair imho, unless again, a person expects Amazon returns.

Think about it. Amazon is the only merchant I can think of where you can pay once, and physically possess qty 2 products for about a month. This is of course convenient when you need a part in the car for the car to function. Otherwise, said car is down the entire duration of the exchange.

So you essentially buy a replacement part, and this amount is refunded when the old part is returned. What difference does it make to have the part on a credit card for 2 weeks? Unless of course the Cc is accruing interest.

Again, not everyone is Amazon. If Amazon has the same price, why not get the part there.

Everyone raves about FcP Euro (again price reflects the policy) and they do the same. You can return a part, when they get it, they send a replacement. Or you can buy a new part, and when old part is returned, they credit the charge. Pretty straightforward and fair imho, unless again, a person expects Amazon returns.
I thought for FCP euro, you order new part, then send back old part. Then you get credited

No, your mis-reading my problem. They would not issue an RMA AT ALL. At the end of filling everything out it literally said "DENIED".
I had already replaced the fan with an OEM one. I was hoping they would offer a credit at the end of the process instead of shipping a replacement, but I never got that far. Even if they had, I still end up paying freight in two directions for their warranty problem.

No, your mis-reading my problem. They would not issue an RMA AT ALL. At the end of filling everything out it literally said "DENIED".
I had already replaced the fan with an OEM one. I was hoping they would offer a credit at the end of the process instead of shipping a replacement, but I never got that far. Even if they had, I still end up paying freight in two directions for their warranty problem.
If they were to issue a RMA, the shipping is via their FedEx account. $6 for a starter when walking in the UPS store over $20, and with my own corp discount, about $14.

I get that when we feel a vendor crossed us, we never want to do business with them and we want to tell others. I just think that this anti rock auto position doesn't help people who may not know how they operate. Again, they don't own any products nor do they operate warehouses. They're a broker if you will.

A flat out refund is different, once again, it's not amazon or Costco where you literally can use the product and return it, they simply do not care. Most of the world does care and has rules regarding flat out refunds. In your case, amazon would have been better and their condition is 30 days.

If they were to issue a RMA, the shipping is via their FedEx account. $6 for a starter when walking in the UPS store over $20, and with my own corp discount, about $14.

I get that when we feel a vendor crossed us, we never want to do business with them and we want to tell others. I just think that this anti rock auto position doesn't help people who may not know how they operate. Again, they don't own any products nor do they operate warehouses. They're a broker if you will.

A flat out refund is different, once again, it's not amazon or Costco where you literally can use the product and return it, they simply do not care. Most of the world does care and has rules regarding flat out refunds. In your case, amazon would have been better and their condition is 30 days.
I totally understand what their business model is, and I understand I may or may not have been able to get a refund vs a new part, and I totally understand that I may or may not have had to pay shipping and I understand that if I want retail service I should buy from a local retailer or amazon.

My point is they don't even follow their own policy. I work with brokers, dealers, wholesalers and resellers daily for work - and I understand the difference and a lot of them NEVER touch the product. A lot of times they don't handle warranty either - you go directly to the manufacturer for that. In my case with RA I was left high and dry. RA is essentially FOB point of shipment, no warranty. I understand that also - except that isn't what they publish.

It didn't bother me much, since I had already purchased a replacement part and installed it. I figured I would try to get warranty and see what happened. And I saw.

I understand the frustration, although for me it's minor in the grand scheme.

Specifically, their algorithm is weird in how it will shift warehouses as you add or remove other items. Sure, I understand the concept but it doesn't always make sense in practice.

It makes it difficult if you're trying to juggle things to reduce shipping cost. Say you see the greatest cost on a large item so you seek to get everything from that "Warehouse B" then suddenly as you selected substitute smaller products that larger item now comes from Warehouse C. Yes I understand the truck symbol but I'm speaking of a slightly different scenario.

The bottom line is don't waste too much time trying to game it. Either pay it or look elsewhere. Overall RA has been good to me.

I understand the frustration, although for me it's minor in the grand scheme.

Specifically, their algorithm is weird in how it will shift warehouses as you add or remove other items. Sure, I understand the concept but it doesn't always make sense in practice.

It makes it difficult if you're trying to juggle things to reduce shipping cost. Say you see the greatest cost on a large item so you seek to get everything from that "Warehouse B" then suddenly as you selected substitute smaller products that larger item now comes from Warehouse C. Yes I understand the truck symbol but I'm speaking of a slightly different scenario.

The bottom line is don't waste too much time trying to game it. Either pay it or look elsewhere. Overall RA has been good to me.
Agreed....I don't think I've ever paid more than $12.99 which is often saved anyway due to lower pricing. But, I've had to say ok the WIX oil filters would add more shipping, so I won't get them this order. That's how I look at it. I truly don't feel rock auto is somehow ripping people off and only order as much as you are willing to lose, just seems off kilter to say that imho.

Back