Rock Auto changes shipping location to increase freight

I ordered 2 oil filters for 2 different cars and then wiper blades which were closeouts for a third car. The filters came from warehouse A, the wipers from warehouse B. The $7.50 cost for both wipers had shipping of $10.99. I decided to cancel the wipers as I really didnt need them. Once I did this the two filter were then changed to ship from 2 different locations which really doesnt make any sense for me which naturally increased the shipping cost.. They originally were to ship from the same location. I cancelled my order. I had been a long time Rock Auto customer but will rethink this going foward.

Here is how it works.
Add one part to cart

then go look at other parts.. pick one that has a truck symbol.. this means shipping from the same warehouse.

I had a rant thread on them a couple times.. but its not so bad now.. use the system.

example I added an engine air filter to cart..
then went back shopping for cabin air filter.
image_2023-05-15_212153577.jpg

Their algorithm is funky and makes sense to them, not to you.

Your loyalty is not important to them-- They understand sometimes the shipping expense kills the deal.

Another vendor like Amazon or eBay will take the hit on sending something through multiple "shipping zones" for "free."

Wiper blades on clearance from Rockauto are my gas. Wish they still had them for $1.20 like a few years back.

Here is how it works.
Add one part to cart

then go look at other parts.. pick one that has a truck symbol.. this means shipping from the same warehouse.

I had a rant thread on them a couple times.. but its not so bad now.. use the system.

example I added an engine air filter to cart..
then went back shopping for cabin air filter.
View attachment 156285
Thanks for the tip

Their algorithm is funky and makes sense to them, not to you.

Your loyalty is not important to them-- They understand sometimes the shipping expense kills the deal.

Another vendor like Amazon or eBay will take the hit on sending something through multiple "shipping zones" for "free."

Wiper blades on clearance from Rockauto are my gas. Wish they still had them for $1.20 like a few years back.
They pulled this on me over the weekend, 2 separate A/C parts, added the first to cart, the 2nd one had the truck symbol, but it magically changed to another warehouse when I ordered it. Even with their usually decent prices, they‘re THIEVES when shipping is considered. $4.99 to ship a 1-2 oz. A/C o ring kit USPS?? C’mon…

they‘re THIEVES when shipping is considered. $4.99 to ship a 1-2 oz. A/C o ring kit USPS?? C’mon…
Expenses, overhead, labor, yada yada yada. When I post something about excessive shipping, I get raked over the coals.

I haven't had issues with RA.

But sometimes, it is cheaper for me to order from FCP euro, due to the shipping.

But when I do order, I throw multiple things in.

The best way to describe RA shipping is that it often makes no sense. Yes, I know RA’s shipping has gone up lately. What hasn’t? I ordered a few items yesterday, along with a heavy flywheel, and the shipping was close to $20. The overall price was still cheaper than the overall price from Amazon.
Anyway, occasional the shipping gets funny at RA. About a month ago, I added a single item and the shipping was right at $15. I added a single spark plug and the shipping went down $1. I added 7 more spark plugs and the shipping went down another $1. Perhaps because there would be less labor to throw in 8 than to open a package and take out just one, who knows? I usually just try to get all items from a single warehouse. That’s about the only effort I use to try to keep the shipping down to a minimum.

It's been this way for 15 years lol

RA is just an index I go to for finding part#s lol
Yes, they don’t stock anything nor do they have their own DCs. It’s astounding how a conclusion is drawn that they are thieves.

What I do is to put what I really need in the cart. Then I add things that are nice to have, only if they fall under the same minimum shipping. This can add up to $1000 or so (like with struts) for $12.99 shipping.

The rant is like saying a person had $1000 worth of parts and added a $7 filter and the shipping went up $12.99 because it’s from a different DC. This isn’t Amazon.

You ever watched any infomercials?
Most their income comes from the "shipping & handling" and specifically after "but wait" ...
That's when they send you the second junk for free ... If you just pay for the additional "shipping & handling".

Their system is definitely quirky at times. I don't think its done intentionally its just a bug in the system. Some times things will list different shipping locations but if you add more things to your cart or remove them suddenly they are shipping from the same location instead of multiple.

Wow so much disinformation. When I had to return a core, the return label is generated and deducted from the core refund. On a starter it was $6. If I shipped myself $22 without discount, and $14 with. Last I checked, $6 < $14

Not to mention they handle the mfg warranty on your behalf.

If you don’t, who else will

Reactions: GON
RockAuto provides a great web-site, great parts, very effecient and confidence in the purchase. The cost of chipping is the downside. I will take the downside as part of the many pluses.

The only bad experience I had with RockAuto on a MACRO level was wiper clearances. Every time I have tried to take advantage of the wiper clearances, the product received were always really old and more importantly, didn't work well.

The only bad experience I had with RockAuto on a MACRO level was wiper clearances. Every time I have tried to take advantage of the wiper clearances, the product received were always really old and more importantly, didn't work well.
The only bad experience I had was when GM went to the E filters. My wife’s car uses PF63’s (I think a person here has a screen name as such or close). I ordered a dozen as PF63F was listed on the website. A dozen PF63Es showed up and I didn’t want them. That time the phone rep hassled me saying they’re the same and he said are you sure. That’s one time. 🙂

Lets just say- due to their warehousing games- I shop at a few more venders before pulling the trigger. Used to use them alot more years ago. Tough to find their coupon codes too.

and makes sense to them
It makes sense for them, not to them. Without question they are doing this on purpose / by design. Is it to share sales across their different partners/distributors ? Or is it to pad a little extra revenue from shipping charges ?

Lets just say- due to their warehousing games- I shop at a few more venders before pulling the trigger. Used to use them alot more years ago. Tough to find their coupon codes too.
On the coupon codes I seem to not have them as often. But a simple google search leads to them, either those websites or forums who have them as a sticky. Albeit only 5%, it almost takes care of the 6% sales tax.

Amazon really nailed this concept of free shipping, where people like that, even though it’s been added to the product price.

Catalytic converter $328 with 2 day free shipping.

The same part $280 with $12.99 shipping.

Many like the first. But honestly? I suspect Amazon sells because of “free returns.” People use their products then return, like a loaner program 😂

Back