Rock Auto shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out how they calculate shipping. I have 3 of the same filters that total about $20 shipped excluding tax. I was looking at rear wiper blades for my Jeep and from what I understand, if the site displays a blue box truck next to the part, they are shipping from the same warehouse as the other parts in the cart, thus (I am assuming) making shipping costs cheaper.

A. I found a Denso blade (same warehouse) for $4.36. Makes my total around $28 shipped.

B. They have Bosch Excels for $5.91. Different warehouse, but I can get everything shipped to my house for a little over $24 shipped.

Option B remains the same price regardless of where I have it shipped to. I can make option A slightly cheaper by shipping it to the GF's house though. Keep in mind option B is coming from 2 different warehouses too. *They have a few other cheaper models that still come out to be just shy of $30 shipped.

Am I missing something?
21.gif

Last edited:
I imagine a giant balance scale tipping in your favor.

Maybe it jumps from USPS to fedex. Or a larger flat rate box. Or they stock part "A" in both warehouses.

I'm trying to figure all this out too.
wink.gif

Note, I ship to my work and although it's already a couple bucks cheaper just because of the zip code, it gets a couple unexpected bonus bucks cheaper on top of that in the final checkout phase. I presume they recognize a "ground delivery friendly" address somehow.

Yes, its confusing. I have seen where I added a second item and it was cheaper than for just the one. If an address is a business address it may be cheaper also.

Amazon is free. I look on Amazon first. Then RockAuto. I have told RockAuto that buying a brake rotor from them is out of the question due to shipping.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Maybe it jumps from USPS to fedex. Or a larger flat rate box. Or they stock part "A" in both warehouses.

You are right. Option A ships ground whereas option B ships Priority Mail. It still makes one wonder why though. Lol.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I'm trying to figure all this out too.
wink.gif

Note, I ship to my work and although it's already a couple bucks cheaper just because of the zip code, it gets a couple unexpected bonus bucks cheaper on top of that in the final checkout phase. I presume they recognize a "ground delivery friendly" address somehow.

That effect almost certainly has to be 'residential' vs. business address shipping costs. The first estimate must assume residential. Wouldn't apply to USPS though.

Nobody really knows how RA calculates shipping cost, I just change number of parts(oil filter) until I get reasoable shipping charge.

Amazon is easy for Prime member and non member. For non member just total all parts to $35 or a little more for free shipping.

I usually check total price on both Amazon and RA, sometime RA is cheaper other time Amazon is less.

I was going to place the order today and option A turned out to be the cheapest. $23.50 shipped vs. $24.94 shipped. It was also shipped Priority Mail this time too?

I guess it depends on the day. Lol.

I feel like it was all a good buy though. The blade is $8 alone at AAP, but I'd have to pay for shipping or buy $75 worth of stuff.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Yes, its confusing. I have seen where I added a second item and it was cheaper than for just the one. If an address is a business address it may be cheaper also.

Amazon is free. I look on Amazon first. Then RockAuto. I have told RockAuto that buying a brake rotor from them is out of the question due to shipping.
+1 on the "Zon". Always go there first. It's reached the point where I don't even bother with Epay.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I was going to place the order today and option A turned out to be the cheapest. $23.50 shipped vs. $24.94 shipped. It was also shipped Priority Mail this time too?

I feel like it was all a good buy though. The blade is $8 alone at AAP, but I'd have to pay for shipping or buy $75 worth of stuff.
You've gotta figure how much you're paying yourself per hour to save a buck and a half.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

You've gotta figure how much you're paying yourself per hour to save a buck and a half.

This argument isnt valid. I was sitting at home browsing the web and drinking my coffee. Buying oil filters online wasn't cutting into my work day one bit. Do you pay yourself to browse BITOG?

shipping costs can easily vary by distance even within the greater USA. the days of flat (and cheap) shipping are long gone. always cross shop amazon and ebay, chances are one of the 3 is cheaper.

Last edited:
I recently placed a large order from Rockauto. The parts were shipped from 3 different warehouses, all by the cheapest method. The A8 Lemforder control arms and sway bar end links came all the way from England; and I had them in 4 days!
The parts were 1/4 the cost of the ones quoted me by the dealer; the parts even had the Audi part number cast in them with the 4 rings trademark ground off!
My new favorite parts supplier.

I've seen the automaker's logo ground off parts before, when something is cast or forged and includes the logo, generally they will grind it off if you're buying direct from the part manufacturer. Aisin did this on the water pump I got for my Sienna, although the last one I got wasn't that way.

I wonder why they ground the Audi emblem off?

It's actually somewhat common when you're buying parts built by the OEM supplier. They make all the parts the same but there are sometimes contracts where the parts they offer for aftermarket sales can't display the auto company's logo.

Or something along those lines. Google if you want to know more. I've read about it most commonly when referring to Euro cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back