Rockauto Shipping Shenanigans

If it makes you feel any better that is how a lot of brake pads come in from Ford. I just got a backordered set in for a newer Super Duty from FedEx with the box open and in a random clear bag. There were only 3 pads in the box and one wasn't even for that part number.
wow even with Ford that's happening too.. Guess there's just a lack of care in the world, lately.. :unsure:

trying to spread the business to multiple suppliers
IMO, that's exactly what they're doing

they know how to whiz things past customs
Actually, the shipping company has to get most of that credit (as long as RA supplies the proper paperwork which should be automatic anyway).

Regarding the beat-up box comments, people should realize that this may be from the shipping company too. I assure you, UPS, Fedex, etc all have boxes, packaging tape, packing materials, and so on at their centers to "repair" box damage or abuse.

I needed to purchase the following items:

(2) Raybestos 980631fzn
(2) Raybestos 980636fzn
Akebono ACT1324a
Akebono ACT1325a

If all 4 items were purchased together in a single order, the shipping charges total $55.97. The rotors would ship from one warehouse ($47.98) and the pads would ship from a different warehouse ($7.99).

However, I tested multiple order configurations and found a way to reduce shipping costs. If I split the order in the following manner:

Order 1:
(2) Raybestos 980636FZN
Shipping: $26.99

Order 2:
(2) Raybestos 980631FZN
Akebono ACT1324a
Akebono ACT1325a
Shipping: $14.99

I can save $14 on shipping ($41.98 vs $55.97).

Point is, Rockauto’s shipping calculator is flawed.
Thats clever, the next order I make will try doing this if the items are from different warehouses

I've purchased from Rock Auto for something like 20 years. You're really purchasing from number of different auto parts jobber wholesalers. Nearly everything on hundreds of orders was undamaged. Except, nearly everything I ever got from a jobber in the Bronx. They made good on any replacements needed. I suspected that that jobber was pawning off returns. The Bronx source seemed to disappear for a few years but I did get one order earlier this year that was from the Bronx. That was OK, maybe a different jobber.

hey critic.. I always read your posts and appreciate them even if I don't reply...(y)

but I had to jump in and tell you that rockauto just shipped some raybestos calipers to my family member for their f150 and when I get pictures I'll post them... From what I've seen looks like the warehouse from NYC (hempstead) completely ripped apart the caliper box! So bad they taped over the DIRT on the box.. what a joke! yes they were returned and order from another parts supplier.

I thought RockAuto had cleaned up their act with bad distributors shipping junk parts years ago, guess not.. Not only is RA been screwing around with the shipping costs, their warehouses leave a lot to be desired..

Critic-- not to change the subject but have you received parts from RA like I have that are just obliterated?
Nope, I have never experienced the issue you describe. Poor packaging yes, but junky parts...

I just looked, and all of that ships for free from Amazon. No matter how I looked at it.... free!

Last time I ordered anything from RockAuto, it was a set of shocks for my Silverado. The packaging looked like the shocks were from three different decades (were not closeouts). They had been thrown into shipping boxes, and the mounting hardware had come loose in the shipping boxes, and some had fallen out through gaps/holes in the boxes. I sent the whole mess back, and re-ordered from Amazon.

I had tried to get auto parts from Amazon on a few occasions. Each time I have received used parts that were obviously shipped back for a refund to get free stuff.

I needed to purchase the following items:

(2) Raybestos 980631fzn
(2) Raybestos 980636fzn
Akebono ACT1324a
Akebono ACT1325a

If all 4 items were purchased together in a single order, the shipping charges total $55.97. The rotors would ship from one warehouse ($47.98) and the pads would ship from a different warehouse ($7.99).

However, I tested multiple order configurations and found a way to reduce shipping costs. If I split the order in the following manner:

Order 1:
(2) Raybestos 980636FZN
Shipping: $26.99

Order 2:
(2) Raybestos 980631FZN
Akebono ACT1324a
Akebono ACT1325a
Shipping: $14.99

I can save $14 on shipping ($41.98 vs $55.97).

Point is, Rockauto’s shipping calculator is flawed.
When I commented about their ridiculous shipping charges, I caught a lot of flack on here from the RA defenders. They said it was my fault.

When I commented about their ridiculous shipping charges, I caught a lot of flack on here from the RA defenders. They said it was my fault.
It is just inconsistent and the charges do not always make sense. Sometimes I've had a 2'x2' box of rotors, pads, filters, etc shipped from Los Angeles for $9.99. Other times, a set of pads alone would cost $12.99 to ship. Or parts would only be located in faraway warehouse, but then, after adding more items....the entire order suddenly ships from a warehouse that is 1 hr from me.

Good info on the shipping calculator. I usually add different part combinations and then break it all down and price it out from different sources individually (eg. eBay, Amazon, NAPA/Advance w/ coupons). RA usually ends up being pretty close overall price wise and I've had good luck with getting things quickly. I've done one order return and a few core returns without any issue.

I *really* did not want to start another Rockauto shipping thread, even though one is way overdue as they seem to come around at least every few months. Forgive me for reviving an old thread.

I found a new phenomenon while adding parts to my cart today.

I'm adding two sets of shocks that are shipping from the same warehouse. No complexity here- again, same warehouse.

A) Pair of Nivomat shocks for an '07 Chrysler by itself = $16 shipping via Fedex Ground
B) Pair of Gabriel Ultra front struts/shocks? for '14 Sierra 1500 by itself = $13 shipping via Fedex Ground
C) combine both together, both still shipping from warehouse A, and shipping jumps to $54, also Fedex ground.

Something is seriously wrong here. Shouldn't there being a shipping discount for combining items into one box?

A) Pair of Nivomat shocks for an '07 Chrysler by itself = $16 shipping via Fedex Ground
B) Pair of Gabriel Ultra front struts/shocks? for '14 Sierra 1500 by itself = $13 shipping via Fedex Ground
C) combine both together, both still shipping from warehouse A, and shipping jumps to $54, also Fedex ground.
But them separately in 2 orders.

I don't mind the shipping they are killing any local parts store by 40 or 50 percent and deliver right to my door.

And I get the brand of parts I want, not advance auto house brand.

The cost of shipping from multiple warehouses makes me really think twice before placing an order. It usually affects my preferred brands of different types of parts.

There was a time when the 5% discount code (available from RetailMeNot) would offset some of the shipping casts, but no more.

The cost of shipping from multiple warehouses makes me really think twice before placing an order.
After adding one item to the cart and looking for the next one, you will see a truck symbol next to the items that ship from the same warehouse. You may have to play around a few times with different warehouses to get the best overall deal, but I often find that even if I have an order from 2 warehouses, the total cost is still less than what I can find the parts for anywhere else, and I know Rock will ship fast.

I have had several times lately where an item will change warehouse after I added another item. I might start out with the parts being from warehouse A, then when I add an item that is also from warehouse A suddenly the original item switches to B.

My last filter order was through a GM parts account I opened, I can view the parts, place the order and then pick up at my local Chevy dealer for a little more than Rock but without shipping costs and less money than Walmart has them

Back