rock auto shipping cost, gave up

This isn't the first time RA's magically changing warehouses has come up here.

My question is, why don't people just call this DISHONEST?

One responder in another thread went into a speech about this being simple profit maximization or some such drivel.

I guess nobody would call them "lying dogs" for fear of ridicule when they go back to RA for a simple order.

People are disappointingly weak sometimes.

yes I once had 6 items shipping from 3 warehouses.. when I would go back and find other items (brand etc) that would ship from same warehouse..

I'd get it down to all 4 from 1 warehouse with a couple from another.. after removing those items the first 4 would magically come from 2 warehouses.(was previously same warehouse).

Its a crock of cow turds. I still try to buy from them but if its only 1 or 2 items I usually skip straight to amazon, or a local brick and mortar store.

Rock Auto doesn't have warehouses... They have contracts with wholesalers to provide an online sales portal. They are essentially a third party online sales department for a bunch of wholesalers. It is what it is. Sometimes I get the best deal with them, sometimes I don't.

Remember when you are getting frustrated with the price comparison that you are at home in your PJs. It's still better then burning gas driving all over town looking for the best deal on a part.

The amount of bellyaching over a retailer here is amusing.

Their price structure is different than other retailers. Sometimes it works in the buyers favor. Sometimes it doesn't. C'est la vie...

Sometimes I buy from Rockauto. Sometimes from Amazon. Sometimes from Advance. Sometimes for Napa. Sometimes from O'Reilly. Sometimes from Autozone.

All depends on who has what I want, what the price is, and when I need it. Rock is one option in the toolbox and sometimes they are great. Other times not.

Just ordered a set of pads, rotors, and some other stuff for nearly $100 bucks less than any other site or retailer. Last time, they couldn't touch what I could do elsewhere. I adapt.

What you're seeing with the shipping funny business you should get used to. The big guys are harvesting pricing, availability and demand metrics and bending variables to meet the profit targets they set. and AI code driving it will outsmart the value snipers.

Something I noticed about Amazon. Choose an Item and put it in your cart but don't buy it. Go back the next day and vast majority of the time the price will have increased a bit. The price you see on the screen can be manipulated moment to moment. This I believe is an algorithm designed to encourage the sheeple to impulse buy. The m.o.t.u. are operating at speed of light squared, resistance is futile.

Originally Posted by Kira
This isn't the first time RA's magically changing warehouses has come up here.

My question is, why don't people just call this DISHONEST?

One responder in another thread went into a speech about this being simple profit maximization or some such drivel.

I guess nobody would call them "lying dogs" for fear of ridicule when they go back to RA for a simple order.

People are disappointingly weak sometimes.

OK OK OK, Rock Auto is DISHONEST. And for this reason only is why I purchased from Amazon instead.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino[/quote
OK OK OK, Rock Auto is DISHONEST. And for this reason only is why I purchased from Amazon instead.

Somehow I get the impression this was the whole point of your thread.

Originally Posted by Whimsey
I've had no problems using their internet communications to return damaged or incorrect items and getting prompt refunds.

Whimsey

The one time I had something arrive damaged I used the online system and they did ship out a replacement lickity split (to their credit). They never asked for the damaged unit back but they did request that i hold on to it for a couple weeks in the event they wanted it back.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
OK OK OK, Rock Auto is DISHONEST. And for this reason only is why I purchased from Amazon instead. [/quote

Now I'm confused......–...‚

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MNgopher
The amount of bellyaching over a retailer here is amusing.

Their price structure is different than other retailers. Sometimes it works in the buyers favor. Sometimes it doesn't. C'est la vie...

Sometimes I buy from Rockauto. Sometimes from Amazon. Sometimes from Advance. Sometimes for Napa. Sometimes from O'Reilly. Sometimes from Autozone.

All depends on who has what I want, what the price is, and when I need it. Rock is one option in the toolbox and sometimes they are great. Other times not.

Just ordered a set of pads, rotors, and some other stuff for nearly $100 bucks less than any other site or retailer. Last time, they couldn't touch what I could do elsewhere. I adapt.

Warning âš ï¸ belly aching about belly aching could cause a tear in the space time continuum ...‚

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
OK OK OK, Rock Auto is DISHONEST. And for this reason only is why I purchased from Amazon instead. [/quote

Yeah, it really was, not to mention how angry I was wasting an hour on their site just to realize I was [censored] in the wind.

Here's a quandry that perhaps one of you can answer. I purchased a knock sensor that was supposed to be "OEM equivalent." Immediately upon installation it set the CEL with a code for the knock sensor. I put the old one back on the car and now it's just back to the CEL staying off most of the time. I wanted to return the one I bought from rock Auto. I tried using their system and when I clicked the button indicating that I had installed it on the car it was stamped "not returnable." I have been completely unable to find any way to contact them via email or an online request form. The part on my order page will not accept any further input because it was marked not returnable.

Is there any way whatsoever to communicate with a person? I know they have no humans available by phone.

You could try what I found (somewhere): [email protected]
Best of luck; every time I've emailed them and gotten a response on finding a part, they have simply referred me to their online store.

Originally Posted by DBMaster

Is there any way whatsoever to communicate with a person? I know they have no humans available by phone.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by JLTD

My experience also. It's just a new way to jack up the shipping charges.

The one time I ordered from them, shipping charges were from two different warehouses - but the parts came in the same box. So I will never order from them again.

Did you ask Rock Auto to refund part of your shipping charges?

Don't recall 100%...I think I sent them an email and was stonewalled or not responded to. It was several years back.

we all know shipping is not free. and when it's free its somehow factored into the cost. i bought 2 rotors, 8 quarts of aisin ws, and an engine air filter and shipping was 9.99. i did play around adding different brands, changing quantities of quarts.

what i did find was that denso iridium long life spark plugs were cheaper from advance auto parts with a 25% off coupon and free shipping.

Here's a quandry that perhaps one of you can answer. I purchased a knock sensor that was supposed to be "OEM equivalent." Immediately upon installation it set the CEL with a code for the knock sensor. I put the old one back on the car and now it's just back to the CEL staying off most of the time. I wanted to return the one I bought from rock Auto. I tried using their system and when I clicked the button indicating that I had installed it on the car it was stamped "not returnable." I have been completely unable to find any way to contact them via email or an online request form. The part on my order page will not accept any further input because it was marked not returnable.

Send the email to [email protected] and hold a cc to show your credit card company to prove you tried to work things out with the merchant in good faith and would now like a charge back, please.

Thanks for the responses. I tried the email to [email protected]. Never hurts to ask!

That's the right email. I have corresponded back and forth with them at that address. And their responses were timely within a day.

Good luck...ðŸ‘

[Linked Image]

Back