rock auto shipping cost, gave up

Originally Posted by Rand
if you cant get a response. you can always start a dispute for the charge.

Good point. I've actually done that once and the merchant refunded 100% within days of me opening a dispute with my card. I'm pretty sure it's just not worth the trouble on their (the merchants) end.

I just ordered a tensioner and a hood strut. Both were $5.99 shipping each, from different warehouses. The tensioner came in a reasonably-sized box. The hood strut came in a giant box like you'd expect for a set of shocks or a case of oil filters!

The tensioner probably weighs a few pounds, while the hood strut only weighs a few ounces. Both came from the post office, but I know all carriers do charge based on dimensions as well.

I have ordered hood struts and wipers from RA int eh past, both being long skinny items, and they came in long skinny boxes, not huge boxes like the one I got now!

Regardless, even with the shipping charge and different warehouses, they were STILL far cheaper than Amazon or the parts stores!
The hood strut was $10 plus the shipping, so $16. Amazon wants $22 for the same one, and Autozone over $40!
The tensioner was $20 from Rock, plus shipping, $26. Amazon's price is $40-50, and $60 from AAP. No code will bring it down to Rock's price, and my local AAP didn't even have it in stock.

Originally Posted by DBMaster
Thanks for the responses. I tried the email to [email protected]. Never hurts to ask!

Thank you again! I got a response and was able to process and ship the return. Never hurts to ask the BITOG community, that's for sure!

Thanks for the responses. I tried the email to [email protected]. Never hurts to ask!

Thank you again! I got a response and was able to process and ship the return. Never hurts to ask the BITOG community, that's for sure!

Ya know, if it didn't work out I was gonna mention that I know a guy who knows this fella who, how do I say, convinces people to take stuff back..capisce?...🤣

Glad to hear it worked out ðŸ‘

Last edited:
RA is still usually cheaper than local stores even with their high shipping.

I've been finding better deals on eBay lately. The item is usually 5-10% cheaper with free shipping. Their Ultra filters are dirt cheap.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I was trying to get all items sent from one warehouse but no matter what I did and which brand I chose the items were coming from three different places. If I changed a brand of filter the wipers shipping location would change, if I changed the wipers the filters location would change, swap out a oil filter brand the air filter shipping location would change. After an hour of constantly changing,swapping etc I gave up

I have had this same exact issue.....

Sometimes, ONE .79 cent lug nut would THROW OFF THE ENTIRE ORDER!

I wrote to them and complained .... they sent me a total baloney answer back. I rebutted it, and they never replied.

I wish they would pop in here and see how dissatisfied they are making people with their wonky shipping algorithms.

I wonder if the wholesale clearance parts they have may complicate things? All of the orders for those types of parts seem to originate from the same location in Texas. So maybe if you add 1 clearance part from that warehouse and the other part(s) in the cart are not clearance, that would force 2 shipping locations at a minimum.

Originally Posted by BiffCIW
I wonder if the wholesale clearance parts they have may complicate things? All of the orders for those types of parts seem to originate from the same location in Texas. So maybe if you add 1 clearance part from that warehouse and the other part(s) in the cart are not clearance, that would force 2 shipping locations at a minimum.

I would say that's a good guess. I think my last non wholesale closeout on oil filters came out of SoCal and I've had other stuff like pcv, air filter, wholesale closeout, map came out of Texas.

Different shipping locs def' FUBAR the shipping!

Yeah I've skipped ordering parts from rock auto too...ended up going with Amazon and eBay. No sense ordering from a place online when you lose your savings in shipping...better off just getting it at the local parts store if you're going to do that.

I forgot to add that when i got the email they had already prepared a prepaid USPS label for me. The text of the email was polite and sympathetic. All in all, they made good.

And Yelp is as bad

^ When buying sold by Amazon (not 3rd party) I have never gotten fake parts, though they have the same situation as Rock Auto that sometimes you pay more for what you think is a premium part and just get the same thing sold for less under a different brand, in the premium brand's box.

Rock Auto deceptive or lying? Maybe, or maybe turning a blind eye towards a shipping algorithm bug that works in their favor, and yet, it doesn't necessarily work in their favor if they are shipping from multiple warehouses and having to pay for that instead of fewer warehouses. Now if they charged for multiple warehouse shipping THEN shipped it all in the same box from same warehouse, THAT would be more ****ing.

Amazon is shady in some ways too. The irony is we are contrasting these two when they are the two cheapest, consistent retailers of parts. I order from both, and have 100% satisfaction from neither, but overall come out ahead from the cost savings even if a few problems come up from time to time. Depends on what the item is too, the more likely something can go wrong, the more likely I'd get it at Amazon for easier and cheaper return shipping.

I would buy from Rock Auto every now and then even if it cost a little more because they are the best automotive parts resource for DIYers that the world has ever known. The amount of parts, their website database presentation is 2nd to none. It's funny that Amazon could compete with that in a different way if their reviews were detail oriented about automotive parts but for some reason amazon reviews about automotive parts are conspicuously pathetic, with many reviewers not even mentioning what vehicle they have. Granted a fair % of the Amazon reviews, particularly for generic parts, may be fake with the reviewer having no clue about the item.

I do think Rock Auto's customer service is poor, but I recognize that good CS costs money. Overall I have come out ahead at RA despite having to return (or eat the loss) on a few things, but if you really want the lowest cost, it is near impossible to beat Amazon warehouse parts, if you get lucky and find what you need, when you need it. Part of that is not being super picky about which brand it is.

Then there is the warranty which you lose out on with some Amazon warehouse parts, and even if a part was sold new retail at Amazon and showed a warranty, good luck getting Amazon to honor it. They refer you to the manufacturer who then refers you back to Amazon stating it is the retailer who handles that, then the Amazon CSR refers you back to the manufacturer. Apparently they don't have a way to put that into their system or something, set up that way deliberately.

Last edited:
RockAuto is great and yes I agree on shipping though usually it’s still ends up being cheaper than the parts stores and you get a free magnet and ink pen too. Though the last few times I have ordered something it’s been from Advance or Auto Zone online because if you spend $50 it’s free shipping or $125 on Auto Zone for free shipping which still isn’t bad. I’m not allowed to order from Amazon so I don’t do that and my friends have gotten too many knock off parts on there so I don’t trust them at all.

this is very disappointing
No idea why a newbie here would resurrect an old thread like this, but I probably average $500 a month at RA. You have to learn how to choose items so they ship from the same warehouse or else even a $2 item can cost $8 more in shipping. Even then, the overall cost is usually less than any place else. As for getting charged too much for shipping that additional item, it works both ways. I've had a pair of heavy rotors ship for $10 or $12 on more than one occasion.

No idea why a newbie here would resurrect an old thread like this, but I probably average $500 a month at RA. You have to learn how to choose items so they ship from the same warehouse or else even a $2 item can cost $8 more in shipping. Even then, the overall cost is usually less than any place else. As for getting charged too much for shipping that additional item, it works both ways. I've had a pair of heavy rotors ship for $10 or $12 on more than one occasion.

Because she/it is a drive by. It hasn’t been back since the post.

So last week I decided I would order some maintenance items for the Fusion. My order was two sets of wiper blades, and three of each filter, oil, air and cabin. The purchase prices were good but no matter what I did the shipping was out of hand. I was trying to get all items sent from one warehouse but no matter what I did and which brand I chose the items were coming from three different places. If I changed a brand of filter the wipers shipping location would change, if I changed the wipers the filters location would change, swap out a oil filter brand the air filter shipping location would change. After an hour of constantly changing,swapping etc I gave up and paid a couple bucks more on Amazon on each item and saved about 30 bucks on the whole lot compared to RA and their shipping costs.

I hate to pass judgement but I felt as if RA's shipping logistics must be rigged to their benefit requiring the customer to pay more than needed when an order includes multiple items. Thoughts?
Yeah, I've skipped them for the same reason. Great prices, until you add shipping in. Then better off elsewhere on sale. It's like when Shutterfly offers a "free" item or shipping or something. Great deal, until the shipping and handling costs more than what you got free. I hate gimmicks like that. Would rather know up front than waste my time and have it be unknown. So I just avoid them.

^ When buying sold by Amazon (not 3rd party) I have never gotten fake parts, though they have the same situation as Rock Auto that sometimes you pay more for what you think is a premium part and just get the same thing sold for less under a different brand, in the premium brand's box.

Rock Auto deceptive or lying? Maybe, or maybe turning a blind eye towards a shipping algorithm bug that works in their favor, and yet, it doesn't necessarily work in their favor if they are shipping from multiple warehouses and having to pay for that instead of fewer warehouses. Now if they charged for multiple warehouse shipping THEN shipped it all in the same box from same warehouse, THAT would be more ****ing.

Amazon is shady in some ways too. The irony is we are contrasting these two when they are the two cheapest, consistent retailers of parts. I order from both, and have 100% satisfaction from neither, but overall come out ahead from the cost savings even if a few problems come up from time to time. Depends on what the item is too, the more likely something can go wrong, the more likely I'd get it at Amazon for easier and cheaper return shipping.

I would buy from Rock Auto every now and then even if it cost a little more because they are the best automotive parts resource for DIYers that the world has ever known. The amount of parts, their website database presentation is 2nd to none. It's funny that Amazon could compete with that in a different way if their reviews were detail oriented about automotive parts but for some reason amazon reviews about automotive parts are conspicuously pathetic, with many reviewers not even mentioning what vehicle they have. Granted a fair % of the Amazon reviews, particularly for generic parts, may be fake with the reviewer having no clue about the item.

I do think Rock Auto's customer service is poor, but I recognize that good CS costs money. Overall I have come out ahead at RA despite having to return (or eat the loss) on a few things, but if you really want the lowest cost, it is near impossible to beat Amazon warehouse parts, if you get lucky and find what you need, when you need it. Part of that is not being super picky about which brand it is.

Then there is the warranty which you lose out on with some Amazon warehouse parts, and even if a part was sold new retail at Amazon and showed a warranty, good luck getting Amazon to honor it. They refer you to the manufacturer who then refers you back to Amazon stating it is the retailer who handles that, then the Amazon CSR refers you back to the manufacturer. Apparently they don't have a way to put that into their system or something, set up that way deliberately.

I recall there was a thread RockAuto selling fake parts. Forgot which forum was that. It is also a toss up when purchasing online.

Can you show me how did you get a pair of rotors shipped for $12 ?

I added a pair of Power Stop Geomet coated rotors and they are charging $22 just for shipping.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201122-202727_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20201122-202727_Opera.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20201122-202651_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20201122-202651_Opera.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 9
Back