Renegade AGM batteries?

Anyone used one or heard about them? They advertise really high cold cranking amps. Similar Interstate or Yuasa batteries usually have like 220 CCA, and a comparable Renegade is like 300. And the Renegade is almost half the price!

I would think CCA would be a poor metric for determining quality of a powersports battery, unless it's primarily for winter use.

In the same size of battery, assuming same or close weight, higher CCA would equate to thinner / more porous lead substrate which tends to be detrimental to longevity.

I don't use CCA at all when going battery shopping, it's pretty meaningless to me. I find RC or AH, or even weight to be a more reliable indicator of how a battery will hold up long term.

I'm immediately suspicious of the battery in question because of the low cost, and possibly exaggerated rating. But I have no direct experience with these and have not researched them, so take it with a grain of salt!

I'd be curious as to who actually makes their batteries. I just looked at their website trying to see where they were made but I didn't see anything.

I do think that agm power sports batteries are over priced but I still use them. Just kills me that you can buy a quality full sized battery for about the same price.

I slapped one in the riding mower since it was only 20$ more than the standard battery which pretty much known to fail in 1-2 years. So far the power sports battery is on top - spins it with quite the authority. Mine was from Walmart, made by JCI.

I would buy a name brand flooded or gel cell battery any day of the week before an off-brand agm.
That's what I always said too. But my last 2 Yuasa batteries didn't last very long, and I just bought a new Die Hard that would barely turn the engine over. I'm sick of paying premium prices for AGM batteries that don't last longer than a light bulb.
This Renegade has the same one year warranty as all the other expensive brands, and is half the price. I guess if it fails too, I'm only out $55 bucks instead of $115.

I would think CCA would be a poor metric for determining quality of a powersports battery, unless it's primarily for winter use.

In the same size of battery, assuming same or close weight, higher CCA would equate to thinner / more porous lead substrate which tends to be detrimental to longevity.

I don't use CCA at all when going battery shopping, it's pretty meaningless to me. I find RC or AH, or even weight to be a more reliable indicator of how a battery will hold up long term.

I'm immediately suspicious of the battery in question because of the low cost, and possibly exaggerated rating. But I have no direct experience with these and have not researched them, so take it with a grain of salt!

I don't consider CCA as the bottom line in battery quality, but I have been looking at it because it's cold here, and I've got high compression pistons. I need a little more juice to get going in the mornings.

I'd be curious as to who actually makes their batteries. I just looked at their website trying to see where they were made but I didn't see anything.

I do think that agm power sports batteries are over priced but I still use them. Just kills me that you can buy a quality full sized battery for about the same price.

Agreed. I just bought a new Die Hard AGM that actually cost $10 more than the new Duralast battery I bought for my truck!

That's what I always said too. But my last 2 Yuasa batteries didn't last very long, and I just bought a new Die Hard that would barely turn the engine over. I'm sick of paying premium prices for AGM batteries that don't last longer than a light bulb.
Have you checked for excessive parasitic current?
Do you keep the battery on a maintenance charger?
Have you checked your alternator output?

Have you checked for excessive parasitic current?
Do you keep the battery on a maintenance charger?
Have you checked your alternator output?
All there is is a clock when the key is off.

Yes, float charger for agm batteries. 24-7.

Yes, there is a voltmeter. She runs at 14.3 most of the time unless the rad fan is on.

Well, I got it installed. It fired up the engine quickly. Also came with some interesting paperwork.
20210128_170236.jpg

Back