Battery time..

I have a 13 Ford Edge I will be replacing my group 65 series battery, probably within a week. I just had to charge up my current battery, because of the BMS system came on. For the second time this winter, that's probably because I don't do a whole lot of driving, and also the batteries over 3 years old.
I'm looking for some recommendations,
I was looking at the interstate MT 65 probably Johnson controls,
The die-hard red, probably Johnson controls
Napa proformer battery (East Penn)
Walmart EverStart Max Johnson or East
Penn?
Duracell from Sam's club. East Penn.
Napa The professional East Penn

The highest cold cranking amps and the best warranty, is Duracell and EverStart.
But sometimes that doesn't mean, that's the best built battery..

The highest cold cranking amps and the best warranty, is Duracell and EverStart.
^This and "ease" of warranty resolution.
I'm a firm believer that even a quality battery maker can have the occasional 'clinker' come down the line; so you shouldn't wind yourself up to tightly over this.
You've done more research that the average consumer.
Don't overlook production date.
Consider patronizing the retailer who seems more "worthy of your business"?

Was thinking of convenince as well. I have a Sams membership, so maybe go with their Duracell with highest cranking amps is the way to go for piece of mind. Anyone have the winning numbers for the next powerball?? hahaha

Cranking amps could be sabotaged among cheaper models for marketing reasons. If you see 650 vs 655 they're the same inside.

I like the Walmart ones, am in an East Penn- Deka distribution area.

I replaced the battery in my 2018 Edge about 4 months ago. Walmart was out of the proper size, T5 so I got one at AZ. If you have the 3.5 v6 the replacement is a bit of a PIA. Air box needs to come out first.

Cranking amps could be sabotaged among cheaper models for marketing reasons. If you see 650 vs 655 they're the same inside.

I like the Walmart ones, am in an East Penn- Deka distribution area.
I'm going to go to Walmart today, and see if there's are Johnson controls or east Penn? Most the other batteries I mentioned, except for Walmart, Sam's club and Napa professional the CCA were a couple hundred less..

I replaced the battery in my 2018 Edge about 4 months ago. Walmart was out of the proper size, T5 so I got one at AZ. If you have the 3.5 v6 the replacement is a bit of a PIA. Air box needs to come out first.
Not on mine it doesn't, styles probably changed a little bit, this is the second battery I put in mine.. Since I've had it..

I'm going to go to Walmart today, and see if there's are Johnson controls or east Penn? Most the other batteries I mentioned, except for Walmart, Sam's club and Napa professional the CCA were a couple hundred less..
I travel N/S/E/W in a 3 hour radius - there will be Walmart‘s nearby along the way - I tend to get 3 or 4 years out of them and replace before I have trouble …

I travel N/S/E/W in a 3 hour radius - there will be Walmart‘s nearby along the way - I tend to get 3 or 4 years out of them and replace before I have trouble …
I tend to always have trouble within 3 years, so if that's the case, see I can charge it up like I did with this one that's in the car now and it'll probably buy me another month.. but with a three year warranty, I could just go in and replace it and get a new one.. 😊

Reactions: 4WD
I think we all put too much thought in replacement batteries.
Maybe but Ford doesn’t make it easy. The BMS needs to be reset when the battery is replaced and I don’t think there’s a reliable way of doing so without the Ford computer. On top of that it limits charging voltage so if you’re short tripping the vehicle you run the risk of it not starting the next time in really cold weather. I got tired of it cutting my radio off immediately after shutting off the ignition even after a battery replacement so I disconnected the sensor from the negative lead that BMS uses to monitor battery condition. It no longer cut my radio off, limited charging, or hard started due to the battery being low. It just goes back to working like a traditional vehicle electrical system.

I tend to always have trouble within 3 years, so if that's the case, see I can charge it up like I did with this one that's in the car now and it'll probably buy me another month.. but with a three year warranty, I could just go in and replace it and get a new one.. 😊
Just put this H7 AGM in my 2020 Jeep … it was $200 with tax etc … but a 4 year warranty …

IMG_1385.png

I kinda have a rule of thumb per use … 3 years on the road …
2 years on the water … (exception is 1st battery in new car)
Plenty other things to save on besides tires and batteries …

I used to only by the highest CCA battery I could find for each vehicle, but one you could warranty out easy enough.

A couple of years ago, both Civics were in need of batteries and I couldn't see spending $200 each on the "best". So I bought the Autozone 6 month special value battery for $60 each. All my vehicles are hooked up to tenders except for the Civics which sometimes sit for a week at a time.

Even where I live, the Civics start every time. I hope I didn't just jinx it, but 2 years now on each for $60 is pretty good value in my book. I hope I get more life out of it, they are $90 now with a 3 month warranty!

Back