Deka/East Penn vs JCI battery (AAP, WM vs Oreilly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in late 2010, the OEM battery on my van went south, after leaving inside lights on overnight one too many times. The replacement was a rush job, evening when most stores were closed, except for Canadian Tire and Walmart.

Canadian Tire's were rebranded Exide at the time. I remembered how a past Exide I had continually sputtered battery acid out of the vent, so I had no interest in one of those.

Walmart's was a JCI at the time. I had found them to be a good choice in the past, so that's what I went with.

Well, the replacement JCI slowly started to fail. About 2 1/2 years in, early 2013, I had to take it back to Walmart and insist it be replaced under the 3 year warranty (they eventually agreed after refusing at first). Acid was leaching out of the positive terminal, and also ended up destroying the factory battery cable.

The second JCI lasted another 2 years or so, this time going south on us during a road trip. It just wouldn't hold a charge anymore. Again, some persistence at the nearest Walmart to where we were, and they agreed, providing our third JCI.

Third time wasn't a charm, and this went south last spring. Staff at Walmart the most recent time were far more accommodating, and didn't try to refuse warranty.

I was pleasantly surprised when I grabbed the replacement, that they were no longer JCI, but now East Penn/Deka.

I had an East Penn/Deka in my trailer, which I had to replace after a battery theft. That new battery served faithfully.

Not even a year in with my van's East Penn/Deka, so hard to fairly assess, but it is doing just fine.

No JCI for me anymore, unless it is from somewhere that replaces no questions asked like Costco, but then I would be buying it because of Costco's warranty/return policy, and definitely not because it is a JCI.

That mirrors my experiences with that absolute rubbish Walmart, AA, AZ, etc sells in this area. Napa has EP batteries but in some cases cost a good bit more than the EP Die Hard.
Die Hard brand is not going anywhere, even if Sears goes belly up the brand will continue because its a valuable brand, the new owners will arrange warranty through the manufacturers. If they didn't they would be losing loyal customers right off the hop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back